Pregnancy: Life or Death?

A Deadly Choice

I was washing the clothes for the people of the prison and all of a sudden I heard a big commotion at the gate and I saw there was a group of people standing at the gate and I noticed that everybody was begging for us to let them in. I noticed that Rick, Glenn and Daryl went down and investigated and noticed that they were carrying bags filled to the brim with items, and as I heard them ask each and every one 'Is anybody bitten' I was feeling a little uneasy. I knew that we needed more man power to survive against the growing numbers of undead, knowing that by each day my due date was coming up. I saw they were letting the strangers in and kinda let my guard down.

They had to pass a screening process, which was to show that they weren't bitten and that they weren't showing signs of being infected, and the next process was to show them to their bunks. One of them asked if there was a place where they could put all of their items down, and I kindly showed them where they could put the items at, and noticed that one of them kept his eye on every movement I made closely. He came up behind me and asked me something, and I responded the best I could. All of a sudden he put his hand on me, and I jumped about this time Daryl walked by and saw how uncomfortable I was and got in between us and grabbed the guy by his shirt collar and said 'Listen, the lady doesn't want to be touched. Which means you shouldn't touch her, dumbass' and then shoved him against the wall and said 'If you ever touch my girl and my child again I will stomp your ass. Got it?!' and the guy slowly swallowed and squeaked out 'Sorry' and Daryl slowly let him go and walked me back to the cell we shared together, and asked if I was okay and I said 'Yes' and he said 'I don't want you to go around those people again especially Mr. Grabby Hands' and I looked up at him and placed my arms around his neck and leaned into him for a kiss as far as I could despite my huge stomach. He placed both his hands on my stomach and sat down on the bed so his head was right next to my belly and asked 'Hows my Lil Ass Kicker today?' I just giggled. I had never seen him be this cute or emotional with anybody before, well maybe Judith, but this was different.

That night we sat down for dinner and everybody was laughing and carrying on. All anybody could talk about is how cute my belly looked and what they thought I was having. I kinda wanted to know, but what was I going to do have Daryl go on a run to get girl or boy items? I had to wait until the very moment that it happened to figure that out, secretly I wanted a little girl, but I didn't think it mattered really, because what life would she have now? Being on the run and fearing for her life every single day and not staying in one place for to long. I felt some how I failed this baby by bringing it into this Hell. It kept me up night after night, but suddenly Maggie brought me back to reality, by saying 'So, what do you think it is? A girl or boy?' and I said 'I kinda feel like it's a little girl, but yeah what do I know?' and Carl said in and said 'Maybe it's a little boy, so Judith will have a 'boyfriend' haha' and Rick said 'Now Carl, let's just be happy that Judith is going to have another baby to play with.'

That night I felt really weird, knowing that we had a strange group of people in the next cell block, but there was a lock on the door so I felt a little safer. I snuggled into Daryl as we slept on mats on the floor, since two of us couldn't share a bunk together. I tossed and turned, and couldn't sleep. I kept thinking the strange group was going to come in and attack us. Daryl reassured me that nothing bad was going to happen. I wanted to believe him, but truth be told I was still worried. I finally fell asleep and then I woke up with my vision blurry, and noticed Daryl wasn't there. I rubbed my eyes and Carol was standing outside the cell and asked if I needed anything and I said 'Nah. I... I just...where's Daryl' and she said 'Oh he's hunting' and I was relieved to hear that he was actually out doing something he loved to do rather than just sitting around like a bump on a log with me.

I got up and went out and started trying to pull my weight, but it seemed like every job was taken and Hershel said that Rick wanted me to take it easy, and just to have a few days to just be a normal pregnant woman. I was kinda happy, just me and my 'Lil Ass Kicker' as Daryl liked to call our child. I saw that a group of people were coming back, and they had bags filled with stuff, and I noticed one of them was Daryl, and I got up from the table I was sitting at and walked to the front gate to meet him and he was surprised to see me awake. Then Glenn took a bag and dumped it out on the table, and everything from comic books, to novels to pills dropped out. Daryl sat me down and opened his bag and showed me that he had all kinds of baby items, from bottles, formula, toys, and clothing. He said we're ready for anything that was fixing to be born. I felt great, knowing that he actually cared.

The next day I woke up and went outside to get some fresh air and everybody was still asleep and I noticed I was all by myself outside. I felt a strangeness, it was foggy and the sun was just now coming up, plus with the walker moans and groans it was even more eerie. I suddenly found a hand on my shoulder and I thought it was someone wanting to know why I was outside and I turned around and noticed it was the same creep that I encountered the other day, and I was wondering what he was doing and he said 'Oh, just decided to come out and see if you needed any assistance you being pregnant and all' and I was like 'Thanks, but I'm fine, actually I was thinking about going back in and getting a little more sleep.' I went to turn away and I heard a gun cock and I swallowed and he said 'You're not going anywhere!' and I stood there frozen not knowing what to do. He walked me into the cell block where they were staying and tied me up and told me if I made a sound that it wouldn't be good. I was scared, I tried not to cry and all I could think of was my baby. Is this how my baby is going to die? Is she not even going to get a shot at this world? I kept whispering, please what ever you want you can have it. Just please please don't hurt my baby! He got right up in my face with a knife pointed straight at my stomach and said 'We're going to take this prison, and if we can't have it well neither can you!' and I said 'Please, just let me go! Please I don't think you want to deal with the rest of the people I'm with, they are nice people unless you harm one' and he said 'We aren't scared trust me!' and he started to walk off and looked back and said 'If I hear even a whimper, it's over for you!' and I had to hold back tears.

Meanwhile everybody else was just now waking up and Daryl noticed I wasn't there and searched everywhere for me. I could kinda hear him screaming my name that echoed through the whole prison. I could tell he was panicky, I wanted to scream out but I was scared to. All of a sudden I heard him start stomping towards my direction. I think he knew something was up and they walked up and said 'No we didn't see her' and about that time he said 'I know something happened and I know you guys are involved! Now let her go now and I won't hurt you!' and they said 'We haven't seen her!' and he walked off and said 'This isn't over!' and about this time Rick called a meeting outside and said that they were going to find me and that it was important.
About the time they were getting up, the other group and I were walking out and their leader shoved me to the ground after all I had been through with bruises up and down my arms and my skin all cut up, from them trying to get me to say something, they grabbed me and put a knife to my throat and shouted 'GIVE US THE PRISON AND SHE LIVES! I DON'T THINK YOU GUYS HAVE MUCH OF A CHOICE AT THIS POINT!' and I felt the coldness of the steel on my neck and I started to cry, and I looked at Daryl and he lowered his crossbow when he saw me, and he said 'JUST LET HER GO! SHE DOESN'T DESERVE THIS!' and Rick said 'JUST LET HER GO! WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER! NOBODY HAS TO DIE! WE CAN LIVE HERE TOGETHER YOU GUYS CAN HAVE ONE BLOCK AND WE CAN HAVE THE OTHER! JUST LET HER GO!' and the maniac started to laugh and said 'LIAR!' and cut my neck and I felt a little blood trickle down. I started to whimper and cry and begged for him to let me go. Daryl started to walk towards us and all a sudden he stopped and I began to hear guns being raised and cocked. I started to cry and managed to let slip out 'I love you Daryl!' and he mouthed the words 'I love you to' and all of a sudden I heard an arrow woosh past me and the grip on me was released and I just fell to the ground and quickly laid down and closed my eyes and placed my hands on my belly and just laid there as the baby kicked as hard as it could.

After the sound of bullets slowed down and the sounds still echoed in my ears I heard foot steps come up and held my eyes as closed as much as I could and stay as still as I could. I heard crying near me and I was scared to open my eyes, and when I felt my body get lifted off the ground I kinda let my guard down and opened my eyes and I saw Daryl carrying me and I looked up at him and I whispered 'Daryl...' and he looked down at me and cried more. He brought me into the prison and laid me on a prison bunk mattress, and told me 'Don't move okay?' and I nodded and felt sore. Hershel came in and looked me over and looked at my arm and touched it and I screamed out in pain. He looked at me and said 'Looks like the bullet went straight through' and I kinda laughed as he wrapped it up and Daryl picked me back up and laid me back down on the bunk and sat down next to the bunk holding my hand and said 'I thought I lost you both!' and I said 'You won't have to worry about that, trust me you don't ever have to worry about that.' I knew it wasn't the truth but still, anything to let him have his moment. I drifted off to sleep with my hand in his, and nothing else could ruin this moment.