Pregnancy: Life or Death?

Our Little Miracle

It was dinner time and we had whatever we could scavenge from supply runs and once in a while a deer that was out in the woods behind the prison. I sat down and honestly enjoyed the peaceful sounds of nature, besides the walker moans and groans. I was so happy that Daryl came back home in one piece and he found all sorts of things. He brought back meds, books, toys, stuffed animals, formula, anything you could possibly think of. After he found out about this baby he changed his tune and started grabbing up anything he could stuff into his bag while on supply runs. I couldn't complain, some of the outfits were so cute and the stuffed animals, even though I was an adult I had a soft spot of stuffed animals.

While looking around the prison, Glenn found a camera that instantly showed the picture after it was taken and asked me and Daryl to stand up and pose. We stood against of the outside walls of the prison and Daryl put one arm around me and then put the other on my belly and I put my hand over the top of his and we smiled. It might be the only picture we ever have of each other, in any case if something does happen to one of us atleast our child can see what we looked like. We looked like a happy couple and to be honest we were, I mean we had a falling out when I first approached him about this whole situation, but after that we got along perfectly.
After dinner we settled into bed and I had the sharp pains in my stomach again and I kept trying to tell myself 'They'll pass. They'll pass' but they didn't pass. I kept trying to get comfortable, but it didn't happen. I kept telling Daryl 'I think the baby's almost here...' and he said 'Do you want me to go get Hershel to make sure everything is alright' and I said 'I think that it would be a good idea' and he got up to leave and I stopped him as he was about to leave and asked if he'd help me up and he did and I stood by the cell door and I heard water hit the floor. I looked at Daryl and he looked at me and got all panicky and I felt another sharp pain hit and screamed out in pain. I heard a bunch of feet rushing towards me. I kept screaming and Daryl walked over to me, and I said 'I guess we're fixing to see what we created.' He looked at me and turned white. Daryl scooped me up in his arms and carried me to the medical ward of the prison and laid me down on the bed and kissed my forehead and grabbed my hand. I was in so much pain and Hershel started examining me and I kept wanting to push, but he said I wasn't that far yet. I kept crying and screaming, after all this time I was going to see what all those many months ago I helped create. What seemed like hours and hours passed and I still wasn't where I needed to be. I couldn't contain it anymore I had to push. I knew I shouldn't but I had to. I pushed and started crying and screaming and I looked over at Daryl's face and he was crying right along with me he kept saying 'I'm sorry! I'm sorry!' and I reached over and brushed his hair out of his face and said 'It's going to be just fine trust me.' I felt something else trickle down my leg when I pushed and Hershel told me to stop because it was blood. I felt like something was wrong, and after a few more hours of being in pain and still not being fully dilated I didn't know what to do. I squeezed Daryl's hand so tight I felt him tense up.

I asked Hershel if there was another option, and what would happen if I didn't fully dilate. He said that if it doesn't happen then I'd have to have a c-section and I got scared that's the way Lori died and I didn't wanna end up like her, not at this point. I finally was dilated enough to where I could push but I was so tired that I couldn't really even push now. I pushed a few times and nothing happened. Just more blood and pain. I was ready to give up when Hershel said that if I wanted to the other option was on the table. I opted for that, knowing that it was scary going into it but also knowing that I didn't want this baby to die. Carol helped prep me and told me that it would be okay. I looked at Daryl and he was still crying his eyes out. In between screams and cries I heard him say 'Sorry' and some other stuff. I felt bad for him having to feel like he caused his, because in reality it wasn't his fault. I squeezed his hand super tight, in reality I wanted him to kinda feel pain like I was feeling. I felt the blade go in and felt the blood gush out and cried and screamed in so much pain. Hershel seemed to know how far to cut down and I was on the verge of passing out and about the time I closed my eyes I heard a cry. My vision was blurry and I ended up letting go of Daryl's hand and passing out. Hershel stitched up the wound after he cleaned it. I woke up about an hour after it happened and looked over and saw Daryl holding our baby and he had an outfit on it and I said in a low voice 'Well what's the result?' and he let me hold it and I saw it had a pink outfit on with little pink socks. I cried and asked 'Are you serious?! A little girl?!' He smiled at me and said 'Dead serious.' I started twist over to kiss him and felt a sharp pain and he said 'Woah hold up, you're not gonna be able to move for a little while.' I asked a bunch of questions about it since I didn't remember much. He said 'Well you opted for a c-section and about the time you got cut open you passed out and you missed everything. You missed me crying and trying to wake you up and missed seeing her when she came out.' He did show me pictures, that Glenn took of him cutting the cord and first holding her. I cried and couldn't believe all this time I had a little girl to keep me company. Daryl kept showing me how to hold a bottle and everything, he learned a lot from taking care of Judith over these last few months.

I was really happy because this was the day I finally met the little person that I helped create. Daryl kept wanting to hold her, but when I offered he said 'No go ahead.' and he just wanted to do everything he could for us both. He said runs were off until this little girl was about my age, and I just laughed. Daryl went over to rub her little head and she grabbed his finger and it was the cutest thing I had ever seen. He said 'Girly you've got a grip like your mommy' 'She's our little Miracle in every sense of the word.' I told him as I kissed her. I handed her to Daryl and he started to play with her, he was still kinda iffy about everything I guess cause he was a tough guy and didn't want to break her. I said 'You're not gonna break her trust me.' and about that time Carl came in and was asking 'What is it?! What is it?!' and Daryl said 'It's a girl!' and Carl was kinda bummed out, but also happy. 'YAY! ANOTHER BABY! YES!' and I smiled. Daryl let Carl hold her and he asked what her name was and if we still went with what we chose before we knew. Daryl told him that her name was Miracle. A little while later Rick came in holding Judith, and walked over to Daryl and lightly tapped him on the shoulder and said 'Welcome to the club big guy' and Daryl smirked.
I never really pictured Daryl as father material, but this baby changed him for the better. I honestly think that this was a chance for him to prove himself. These last few months were tough, for him I believe. He thought he put me in a bad spot by agreeing to let a random group of strangers in, who turned out to be really dangerous and almost killed everybody here. Also that he blamed himself for my unplanned pregnancy. He blamed himself for lots of things. He blamed himself for his brother's death, which he had no part in. I kinda wished Merle was here to see his niece, even if he was a dick most of the time. Daryl was just like everybody else, he lost someone in this crazy world we have now. He shouldn't blame himself for being the guy he is. This baby brought out a side of him I'd never seen before, a soft, gentle side. I hoped he'd get to enjoy it.

After Rick and Carl left, Maggie and Glenn came in and admired our baby. Maggie even got to hold her, during my pregnancy Maggie told me that she had a scare and it frightened her, since she was the one there when Lori died. Soon after Maggie and Glenn left Beth came in and was all happy over it. I saw her eyes light up. She started singing to her and everything. Beth was honestly a good girl, she didn't ask for much and cared about lots of people, even if they weren't blood. I admired her in that way. I wish I was more like her to be honest. Beth sat down in the empty chair by the bed and just played with her. I looked at Daryl who was watching every movement she made, he was new to this parenting thing and still weary of everyone putting this hands on his daughter. I slapped him on his shoulder and whispered 'She's not going to hurt her, trust me.' He grunted at me. Beth got up to leave and handled her to me and said 'Any time you want to have some time to yourselves you know where to find me.' After she left Hershel and Carol came back in and asked how I was feeling. I said 'Sore and sleepy' and they both laughed and Carol walked over and sat in the chair next to Daryl and asked if she could hold Miracle. Daryl kinda hesitated but gave in. She looked down at her and started 'oooing' and 'aweing' at her. Carol lost her daughter Sofia shortly after this outbreak started my heart really went out to her. Daryl was out looking for her every single day and even seriously injured himself in the process. Which made this moment even more special.

Shortly after Carol held her Hershel came over and held her. We were all like family here, and this baby proved it. I loved that just because we were all different and had no relationship and that even in a horrible time like this, that one thing could bring people together. Hershel gave her back to Daryl and said 'She's adorable. Keep her safe!' and I smiled and said 'Don't worry her daddy is already watching her like a hawk.' Daryl looked down at her and smiled and said 'She's my whole entire world, and if anybody messed with her I'll stomp their ass into the ground.'