Sequel: Convalescence
Status: ayeee

Hell Above

XXII

There’s a pause, silence on either end of the phone line, and then “Jack, how are you?”

Joyce sounds too formal for Jack’s liking, and considering the simple fact he hasn't heard from his mom in at least six months, he doesn't really want to make small talk. “Did dad call you?”

His mom laughs, “Yes, your father called.”

“So what, you’re calling me now because the bastard is too stubborn to suck it up and call his own son.” Jack spits out, sitting up and then standing to his feet to walk around the bed.

He exits the bedroom, headed towards the living room as Joyce answers “He said you and him had a disagreement, but wouldn't tell me what it was about. I’m calling because I’m curious.”

Jack sighs, plopping down at the end of the couch and pulling the throw pillow against his chest – the ugly one Alex picked out. “He came over a few weeks ago, m’not sure what he actually came for, but he was being a dick.” Jack concludes childishly, bringing his long legs up, curling in on himself.

He can picture his mom rolling her eyes, sitting on her balcony in Venice or Greece or wherever the fuck she currently is. “I realize this, Jack. Care to explain?” If Vinny were hearing this conversation, he would probably remark on how much of Joyce’s sarcasm Jack has managed to pick up, despite only hearing from her on the off chance every few months.

“He kept talking shit about Alex, so I made him leave. I haven’t heard from him since, and I don’t really care to.” Jack states firmly.

Joyce sighs. “That sounds like your father.” There’s a slight rustling sound from her line, and Jack can picture her looking out over the beach, thinking over problems that she’s put oceans between herself to escape while a sea breeze interrupts their cell connection. “How are my boys, anyways? Vinny too, is he doing well?”

“Yeah, mom, we’re all good. Vinny has a girlfriend now. Gianna. She’s a sweet girl, probably too good for him, but they seem happy.” Jack says, fingers picking a loose thread off of the pillow on the cushion beside him.

“Well that’s good to hear.” Joyce replies, the smile evident in her voice. “And you and Alex?” She asks. Jack doesn't have to try hard to picture the smirk curving across her lips this time.

“We’re fine, mom.” He answers, tone flat.

Joyce sighs, clearly unamused with her son’s lack of information. But by only calling once a year, Jack’s not sure what she expected to get out of him, a detailed recount of this year’s events?

“I was thinking about coming back for the holidays.”

Jack’s grip on the phone tightens, just fractionally. “Yeah.” He replies, and there’s an awkward silence before he finishes. “I've gotta go mom, I’ll talk to you later.” And then he hangs up.

-

When Alex gets home, he enters the apartment to find Jack curled up on the couch, sound asleep. The younger hadn't even changed out of the boxers and t-shirt that he’d slept in last night, hadn't bothered to actually get dressed at all. Alex isn't really surprised, Jack had seemed upset that morning, and it’s not unusual for him to sleep it off if something’s bothering him.

The blonde uses his foot to shut the apartment door behind him, walking over to the couch and kicking his shoes off into a pile on the floor. He bends over Jack, poking his cheek lightly.

Jack doesn't react at all to his poking, so Alex props a leg on the couch, swinging his other leg over so that he’s straddling the younger’s hip. It’s not necessarily the most comfortable position, but with the way Jack is laying, curled up on his side and facing the back of the couch, it doesn't leave many options for Alex to choose from.

Jack shifts, face contorting into this confused expression that Alex finds super adorable. “Jack.” The blonde says, leaning forward and pressing his lips to the younger’s cheek. Jack mumbles something unintelligible, somewhere along the lines of fuck off. Alex laughs, bringing his hand up and nudging Jack’s shoulder until the younger pokes his eyes open, looking a bit flustered until he turns his head and spots Alex, realizing the elder is causing all this annoying weight on top of him.

Jack rolls over onto his back, not even bothering to stifle his giggles when Alex loses his balance and nearly falls off the couch. The blonde glares at him before stuffing his way into Jack’s side, making room where there wasn't between Jack's body and the back of the couch.

Jack wedges an arm around him, kissing the top of the elder’s head where it’s laid against his shoulder and the throw pillow. He shifts his gaze to the ceiling, mumbling out a tired “Hey.”

“Hi.” Alex replies, fingers smoothing across the wrinkles in Jack’s t-shirt. “How was your day?”

“My mom called.” Jack says as an answer, not meaning for the words to come sounding so somber.

The blonde raises an eyebrow that Jack can’t see, curling his free hand into the bottom of Jack’s shirt, causing it to ride up and reveal a smooth patch of skin along the younger’s side. “And?”

Jack sighs, “And nothing.” He shifts out from under Alex’s weight, pushing the elder’s hands away and sitting up. Alex follows suit, settling next to him on the couch with an expectant look. “She wanted to know why me and my dad aren't speaking, and then –”

Jack stops mid-sentence, standing up abruptly in favor of standing to pace in front of the coffee table. Alex remains sitting, watching the younger move back and forth. He can tell that Jack is about to start ranting – or yelling.

“Then the woman just drops this bomb, says she’s thinking about coming back for the holidays. She can’t do that!” Jack raises his arms at the exclamation, before dropping them harshly back by his sides. He pauses in his movements, turning to face the man on his couch as he says, “She can’t just up and leave and expect me to be okay with phone calls for years and then say she’s coming back.” He drops his gaze to the floor, wringing his hands together.

Alex gets up from the couch when Jack doesn't say anything else, moving around the coffee table and taking Jack’s hands in his own as he stands in front of the younger. Jack looks up from the floor to meet his eyes, and Alex can tell Jack’s exhausted. These past few months have been draining for the both of them and Jack’s mom picked a really horrible time to call. The blonde hadn't fully realized how much resentment the younger had been bottling up because of his mother.

Instead of disagreeing with Jack’s ranting, Alex instead says, “But she’s your mom, Jay. I think she deserves another chance.” Although Alex has never met Joyce, he's always appreciated how the woman tries, despite Jack’s constant refusals.

He expects Jack to yell at him now, but surprisingly the younger doesn't. Jack just nods, says “Yeah, I know.” and then leans forward, wrapping his arms around Alex and practically deflating against the older man.

Alex pulls him in, securing his arms around Jack’s waist and smoothing his fingers under Jack’s shirt, along the dip in his lower back. He’s always liked touching there, and Jack thinks it’s cute how involuntary it is, though he'd never tell Alex that.

Alex’s shirt smells like cigarettes, but Jack doesn't question it. He figures he may as well enjoy his boy while he can, instead of asking questions that Alex won’t want to answer. He sighs, mumbling “Vinny wants to hangout.” against Alex’s shoulder. He never did call the Italian back like he’d promised, he’d been to pissed off after talking with his mom.

“Can we have a movie night?” Alex asks, sounding way too eager. It’s been a while since the three of them have hungout, and he feels justified in being so excited.

Jack pulls away from the elder, straightening up and grinning when he sees how visibly enthusiastic he looks. Alex raises an eyebrow, prompting the younger to answer. Jack can’t help but chuckle as he says, “Yeah, I guess we can do that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i don't like this chapter but i feel like the jack/mom thing had to happen so

i'm in arizona (the grand canyon was pretty fucking cool)

love you all xx