Sequel: Convalescence
Status: ayeee

Hell Above

XXVIII

Alex didn't intend to fall back asleep, but when he wakes up to the sensation of something tickling his face, he realizes he must have dozed off after all. He doesn't have to open his eyes to know that the thing waking him up is Jack, and even through his drowsy mind he can recognize the press of the younger’s lips against his cheek and the slight burn of Jack’s stubble against his own.

He shifts, twisting away from the disturbance and groaning when he feels Jack’s fingers grip at his sides, most of the sleepy noise being lost from where his face is pressed into the mattress. The younger laughs, that raw and honest sound that makes Alex’s heartbeat increase, pulling him from his stand to stay asleep as he peeks one eye open to see Jack propped over him, a tiny crooked smile curving up the man’s mouth.

Jack bends down, pressing another kiss to the elder’s cheek as he opens his eyes fully, blinking a few times to clear his vision before focusing on the man above him, who’s now moved on to press his lips to Alex’s nose. The blonde shifts again, tilting his head to capture the younger’s lips with his own. It’s clumsy and awkward at first, but then Jack laughs again and they’re grinning into each other’s mouths.

-

“So talk to me.” Jack says, fingers absentmindedly curling under the hem of Alex’s sweatpant leg from where the blonde has it propped over the younger’s lap. They’re sat at Jack’s favorite booth, having laid around making out for another hour or so before finally leaving the apartment in search of food, ending up, predictably, at Cousin Vinny’s.

Alex looks up from the menu he’d been scanning, raising an eyebrow towards Jack as he voices, “About?” He’s sitting sideways in the booth, leaning back against the outside wall.

Jack looks sideways, taking in the sunlight that’s soaking the color out of his best friend’s hair as he replies. “Your birthday’s coming up.”

He keeps his gaze on Alex, but the blonde drops his eyes back down to the menu in his lap. “And?”

“And I want to know what you want.” Jack says, words coming across firmer than he had intended, but he and Alex both know that the elder doesn't care much for his birthday. Jack has tried each year since they met to make the man actually enjoy them, and although Alex still continues to brush it aside and dread the countdown in the early days of December until the fourteenth arrives, Jack still manages every year to make the day pretty damn special.

Alex is quiet for a few moments as he pulls his lip in between his teeth and lifts his head to look around him at the few occupied tables. There’s a couple, no older than their mid-twenties, seated across the room from them, hands held together on top of the table. The sight makes Alex smile slightly as he speaks up again, moving his gaze to meet Jack’s. “Honestly? I just want you. I don’t want a present, I just want to spend the day with you. We don’t even have to do anything.”

Jack nods, seeming to consider the blonde’s words for a moment before speaking again. “Okay.” Is all he says, the word sounding final but his tone stating otherwise.

They lapse back into silence for the remainder of time until Vinny joins them, sliding into the booth across from them as he unties his apron, tossing it beside him on the bench. “I either don’t see you two for months or I see you every day, there’s no in between.” He voices, not looking up from the phone in his hand.

Alex is pretty sure the Italian is texting Gianna. The pair had been pretty much exclusive since that business party Vinny had convinced her to attend with him back in October, although neither Alex nor Jack have gotten to actually meet her yet.

Jack just shrugs, placing his menu down on the table as he easily replies, “I only come back for the food.”

Vinny rolls his eyes, shifting his gaze over to the blonde propped up in the corner of the booth, raising an eyebrow as he asks, “Why do you keep him around?”

Alex just smiles, shrugging in mock defense as he jokes, “M’not sure, he’s not even good in bed.”

The comment surprises Jack, who’s still not used to the confidence that Alex has been bearing lately. He looks sideways at the blonde, raising an eyebrow before laughing at the smirk on Alex’s face.

Vinny is shocked as well, taking in the comment as he notices the obvious hickeys sprawled against the twos’ necks. “Honestly, I think Jack-o’s a pretty good lay. Difference of opinion I guess.” Vinny recovers quickly, shooting a smirk Jack’s way and earning a glare in return.

There’s a semi-awkward silence for the next several moments until Vinny breaks it by clearing his throat. It’s clear that Alex hadn't known anything about him and Jack screwing around in the past, and now thanks to his big mouth, Vinny probably just caused tension between the pair. He feels bad, but the Italian is absolutely horrible at explanations, so he simply asks them what they want to eat before taking their menus and standing from the booth to head back to the kitchen, leaving Jack to provide the details.

Jack doesn’t break his stare from the table top, fingers wringing together in his lap. Alex hasn't said anything yet, nor has the blonde moved his legs from overtop the younger’s lap, and for that Jack is thankful.

-

It’s not until later, after having sat through an extremely strained atmosphere through dinner, that the blonde brings it up once they reach Jack’s apartment building. There’s a second of stale air circulated as the elevator doors close behind them, cutting off the noise from the lobby, before Alex states, “You and Vinny fucked.”

Jack shakes his head, thankful that they’re the only two people in the elevator. He lifts his head to meet the elder’s eyes across the small space as he defends, “We didn't.”

He’s silent a moment, reading over the emotions displayed on the other man’s features. Alex is looking back at him, anxious eyes and laced fingers urging the younger to continue speaking, to explain.

And then it hits Jack, the way Alex is looking at him. He’s jealous.

“We didn't have sex.” Jack repeats. He bites his lip, watching the blonde relax slightly into himself against the railed elevator wall, his assumption being proven correct by the other man’s reaction.

“We just messed around when we were in high school. I was questioning my sexuality and Vinny was a dog, but we never went all the way.” Jack assures, stepping forward to close the distance between them.

Alex lifts his head, blonde hair falling down around his face as Jack slips his hand into it. He tilts his head, pressing a kiss to the elder’s lips and pulling back to whisper, “You’re jealous.”

Alex scoffs like it’s the tallest tale he’s ever heard, but the blush rising on his cheeks says it all.
♠ ♠ ♠
idek about this chapter or where it came from or what but i didn't wanna write the next chapter yet so here's this as a filler

also idk about the vinny/jack thing i kinda just made that up but i guess it works for me later on cause it's gonna make jack want to tell alex something so !! ~~