Tru Blu Blood

Dates and Notes

I go to work, hoping to see Bill-he forgot my number last night. I go behind the bar to get myself a soda, and as I'm pouring, I hear bickering from the hall--just barely, due to the music. I walk to Sam's door and hear Charlene's voice say, "Sam, you can't fire me!"
  "FIRED."
  "You wanna upset Ivy?"
  "Ivy doesn't give a shit about you and your job, Charlene."
  "Then why'd she get me the job?!"
  "Because she's an angel. And you're a demon. Now GET OUT."
  I run back to the bar, reaching it just as Charlene throws open Sam's door and storms out. As she passes me, she turns her head. Our eyes meet. And I look away, letting her continue on out of the bar.

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

I'm feeling pretty down since Charlene left, even though I'm working the bar tonight--which I love--instead of waitressing.
  "Excuse me." That voice charges my soul. I look up from a beer bottle I'm opening, into the eyes of a certain Vampyre.
  "Bill, hi! Good to see you back."
  "Good to see you."
  "Would you like a Type O?"
  "Yes, thank you."
  I get it to him quickly. "How are you tonight?"
  He takes a drinks. "I'm well. And you?"
  "Fine."
  "You lie."
  "How would you know that?"
  "Am I wrong?"
  I shrug and start wiping down the bar. 'Of course we're slow tonight.' Half the place is empty.
  Bill covers my hand with his, stopping my cleaning of nonexistent mess. "What's wrong?"
  I roll my eyes. It's easier to look irritated than sorrowful. "My...family friend got fired from here, and I couldn't help it."
  "I see. You care about her?"
  "I think I do.... It's hard to sort out my feelings when it comes to her. She's a screw up. She needs me. She's almost family. She's hopeless."
  "But you've chosen mercy over condemnation."
  "So far. Since I was a kid. But I don't think I can handle it anymore."
  "You shouldn't have to."
  "That's what Sam says. Sam Merlotte."
  "Does your employer always get involved with your personal life?"
  "Yes. He's my friend."
  "Ah."
  "Ivy-Lynn! 'Nother beer."
  "Alright, Jim, hold your horses."
  "Don't tell me what to do, ya lil' snot."
  I bite my tongue as I open and hand him his beer. Bill is stone-faced. I smile at him. "So you forgot something last night."
  "So I did."
  I fold my arms on the bar.
  "Are you going to give to me?"
  "Are you going to ask me for it?"
  His face registers surprise, but he quickly recovers. "Ivy-Lynn, may I have your number?"
  "Why, of course you may," I answer sweetly, and pull out my order pad. I draw a heart around my number and hand it to him.
  "Hey, Ivy-Lynn."
  I turn and smile at Sam. "Hey, Sam."
  "Who's your friend?"
  "Bill Compton," Bill answers for her.
  "Oh, yeah. Just moved here."
  "Just moved back," Bill corrects him.
  "Right, right. Well, hope you're enjoying Bon Temps, and Merlotte's."
  "I am."
  "Good. Ivy-Lynn, give Mr. Compton a drink on the house."
  "Alright."
  Sam goes back to his office, and I get Bill another Tru Blood.
  "Are you involved with him as more than a friend?"
  "No." I set his drink in front of him.
  "He would like to be."
  "Well, it's not happening. How do you know that?"
  "I can smell it."
  "Oh. Great."
  "Actually, many men in here want you. But he the most."
  I lean on the bar on crossed arms. "And what about you?"
  His eyes flash. "The most of all."
  I smile and peck his cheek before turning to another customer, my eyes catching his surprise as I do so.

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

At the end of my shift, I change into a short-sleeve dress with a white top and red skirt separated by a black ribbon. My shoes are black high-heeled strappy sandals. Bill looks me up and down, giving me immense satisfaction.
  "Ivy...." he says, stepping up to me. "Can I take you out for dinner?"
  "Am I on the menu?"
  Bill places his hands on my hips, leans close and nuzzles my jaw. "You're desert."
  I blush deeply and step back. "Let's go."
  He takes my hand and we leave the bar.

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

Bill drives us, in my truck, to Starbucks like I asked. He opens my door and the café's door for me. 'A gentleman through and through.'
  He leads me to sit a booth in a back corner and asks, "What would you like?" I tell him, and he goes to order.
  When Bill returns, he sits with my chocolate-banana smoothie and biscottis. "Are you sure this is all you want?"
  "Yes, thank you."
  He doesn't sit too close, but still puts his left arm around my waist, and his right hand plays with my hair. "Tell me about you."
  I sip my smoothie. "There's not much to tell."
  "I'm sure that's not true. What do you like to do?"
  "I read. Everything. Im obsessed with movies and music."
  "What music?"
  "All kinds. But Country and Rock are my favourites."
  "They're mine, as well. Do you like Classical?"
  "Yes."
  "I find when most people claim to love all music, they mean all but Classical."
  "That's also my experience. I like Bach the most, and Mozart."
  "Really. I also favor Bach."
  I smile and subtly snuggle further into him. "Do you read?"
  "Yes. I'll show you my library sometime."
  "Oh, fun. And you can see mine."
  Bill smiles and asks, "How old are you?"
  "Twenty-four. How old were you?"
  "I was twenty-nine. How do you vote?"
  "Democrat."
  "As I thought. Your favourite color?"
  "It changes." I take a drink. "Tonight it's red."
  "I see." His fingers slowly brush under my hair, and the feeling is heavenly, lulling me into a daze. "From where is your blood?"
  "I'm Scott-Irish, and German. A bit of Cherokee."
  Bill quietly inhales the sent from my neck, and I feel his nose brush my jawline. My body relaxes, and my head tilts slightly. He kisses my neck, and I'm glad the bandages are only on the right side.
  "Ivy-Lynn?"
  Bill sits back leisurely, and I look toward the voice to see my friend, Erika, approaching with a man. "Erika."
  "Hey, girl. Didn't know you were goin' out tonight."
  "Neither did I. This is Bill Compton."
  "Oh, Compton," she says, moving languidly to shake his hand and turning on her charm, with the silky voice and the bright Cheshire smile. I feel a twinge of inferiority. She's beautiful, sexy, an African-American princess who can jump from city business attire to cowgirl boots and flannel. "I'm Erika Dore, realatore. I just love your house."
  "Thanks. I'm fond of it." She looks at her date. "Get my order, babe," she tells her date, and he hurries off. She and Bill each gracefully retract their hand, and his rests on my thigh.
  "If you ever decide to sell--" she whips a business card from beneath the lapel of her lavender skirt suit-- "I can get you twice it's worth."
  He takes the card and slips it into his tight jeans pocket, somehow with ease. "A pleasure, Ms. Dore."
  "Likewise, Mr. Compton." She looks at me, says, "See ya later, girl," turns and walks away.
  Bill turns back to me. "Is she a friend?"
  "Yes. My best friend."
  "Do you have many friends?"
  "I don't know. Enough."
  "More women or men?"
  "Women. What about you?"
  "I don't have friends."
  "None?"
  "None."
  "Don't you get lonely?"
  "Sometimes."
  I lean into him again and cover his hand with mine. "I'm sorry."
  "It's alright."
  "What's your favourite color?" I ask, smiling and looking up at him.
  He smiles back. "Green."

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

Bill walks me to the backdoor of my house. We talked for hours at Starbucks, laughing often, learning alot.
  "Thanks, Bill. I had fun."
  "I did, too. Can I see you tomorrow?" He takes my face in his hand, his thumb strokes my cheek.
  "Yes."
  He kisses my cheek and steps back. "Goodnight."
  "Goodnight." I watch him walk into the forest, before going inside.

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

In the morning, I go about my routine: shower, make cappuccino and French toast, dress in pj's, and go eat on the back porch while listening to the radio. I sigh happily. 'What a nice day....'

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

As I rinse my plate and mug, the front doorbell rings. I dry my hands on a towel as I hurry toward the door, and open it to a young man carrying a bouquet of perfect red roses.
  "Flowers for Ivy-Lynn Bell."
  After directing him to set the blood-red vase on the living room mantel, I thank the boy, tip him, and hurry to read the card.
  "My dear Ivy-Lynn. I am a blessed man to have met you. I adore every facet of your being. I look forward to seeing you again. Hopelessly and helplessly yours, Bill."
  I grin and spin 'round and 'round, pressing the note to my chest. 'Bill....'