Tru Blu Blood

Nora and Bill

I run errands today with a smile on my face and a skip in my step. My bank's never seen me so cheerful. When errands r done, I go to the library. I need another Nora Roberts book.
  I'm sitting in one of the reading nooks, my eyes devouring the great Nora's words, when someone sits by me. I look up and am more than pleasantly surprised to see Bill. "Bill, hi."
  "Ivy, good to see you. What are you reading?"
  I show him my book, gazing at the beautiful man as his eyes roam the cover.
  "You're a fan of Nora?"
  "Yes."
  "I would have imagined as much." He runs a hand through his hair. "Did you get my flowers?"
  "I did, thank you."
  He smiles and takes my hand. "Are you free tonight?"
  My breath hitches, my heart flutters. "Yes."
  "Would you come to my house? I can cook you dinner."
  "You cook?"
  He smiles, flashing fang. "Yes, I do."
  "I don't know...."
  "Are you afraid to come to a Vampyre's home?"
  I roll my eyes. "No. It's just that I'd rather be in my own home. Since we just met and all."
  "Alright. Your home it is."
  "I'll go check out." I go to the checkout desk and have Mrs. Reynolds scan my book and card, then I hand her my bi-monthly donation.
  "Thank you, dear," the sweet older woman says to me.
  "Thank you, Mrs. Reynolds. Have a peaceful night."
  "And you enjoy your Nora."
  "I will." I turn and walk to where I see Bill waiting at the exit.
  "What was that check you gave her?"
  "A donation."
  "Do you do that often?" Bill asks, as he opens the door for me.
  "Every two months. I cash in my change jar. No big deal."
  "Charity is always a big deal."
  "But we shouldn't make it out to be as such."
  He nods. "You're right. Not many feel that way anymore."
  I look at him to find him watching me with a strange look on his face. He opens the passenger door of my truck for me, and I get in.

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

Whatever Bill is concocting in my kitchen smells incredible. I offered my help, and he told me that if I wanted to help him, I could sit on the counter and amuse him. I decided to sit in the living room and read.
  "Ivy-Lynn," he finally calls. I go into the kitchen, and he tells to, "Sit". I sit in my chair, and Bill sets a plate in front of me.

V V    V V    V V    V V    V V    V V

As I eat the amazing dinner, and Bill drinks True Blood, we talk about everything under the sun and moon. When I get back from brushing my teeth, he asks me, "What is your brother's name?"
  "Jason."
  "Do you get along with him?"
  "Sometimes. It's more me who doesn't get along with him."
  "Why?"
  "He's always needing me to bail him out of jail, or loan him money, or help with one of his relationships gone bad. And I just lose my temper sometimes."
  "There's nothing wrong with losing your temper sometimes. It sounds like you are incredibly patient, in fact. And loyal. And it's his fault, not yours."
  "I suppose...."
  "Why do you have to help him, though?"
  "Our mother died when I was seventeen, and he was fourteen. Neither of our dads were around. I went away to college a year later, but I had to keep coming home on breaks to deal with the trouble he was causing. He lived with an older brother I'm not related to, until he died. That didn't help Jason's recovery. So at eighteen, he got a trailer. Now that I'm back, he's doing better, but not much."
Bill reaches over and squeezes my hand. "You've both had it hard."
I don't let on how comforting the touch is. "Him more so than myself."
"You're so strong." He lifts and kisses my hand. "And good-hearted."
I blush. "I'm really not that--"
"Yes, you are. I've never met a woman like you before." My blush deepens. Bill kisses my hand and the inside of my wrist, and I shiver. "It's late. I should go." I nod, and he stands. I walk him to the back door, and out onto the porch. He turns to me. "Do you work tomorrow?"
"No."
"Can I see you then?"
I nod. "Yes.'
He takes my face in his hand, and kisses me. I melt into him, and his arm encircles me, his hand moving from my face to take a light hold of my hair.
When it's over--all too soon--Bill brushes a thumb over the pulse in my neck and says softly, "I'll see you tomorrow". I nod dumbly, and he turns and walks away, into the woods.
I go to bed tonight feeling giddy, and my dreams consist of flashes from my time with Bill.