Status: work in progress, bare with me.

Why so Serious?

Mark.

"Ava dear." He spoke.

I heard his voice but I didn't move, I didn't get much sleep the night before because all of his goons were getting drunk and being loud. I groaned instead of moving, I just wanted to sleep. I felt the blankets get ripped from my body causing the cold air to cling to my skin, I reached around with my hand trying to find the blankets but only got the jacket. I grabbed it and pulled it over my body, my small frame was able to fit into his jacket nicely except my legs stuck out.

I heard him grumbled from under the jacket, it smelt so nice yet dirty at the same time. He always wore a certain cologne but I never knew what type of cologne it was, yet it also smelt of blood, dirt and sweat mixed it. I felt him lift the jacket and stick his face underneath so I could feel his hot minty breath on my skin.

"Ava." He spoke.

I opened my eyes just a little bit and met his chocolate brown ones, I could stare at them forever.

"WAKE UP!"


My body jolted up right from the dream, memory, what ever it was called. I was breathing fast and felt cold at the same time, I looked over to the door and saw Alfred standing at the door with a tray in his hands.

"Nightmares?" He asked while walking over with the tray of food.

I nodded and looked out of the window, it was sunrise, the usual time I woke up; I rubbed my eyes and ran my hand through my knotted hair. I looked at the food on the plate, scrambled eggs with coffee and toast; Alfred knew how to charm a lady didn't he.

"Yes...Thank you Alfred." I responded while taking a bite of my toast and looking out of the window, today was my day off and I really had nothing to do. I could either spend time with Bruce and what's her face or shop till I drop.

"Well, Ava. Don't let those dreams bother you my dear, if they are about...him. Then maybe it means something." I glanced over to him and he left the room leaving me in silence.

Alfred was the only one to ever hear me talk in my sleep, he heard things that I never wanted anyone to know. But he never said a word and he always kept to himself about things, he would give his advice and leave it at that. I finished my food and proceeded to get ready, I still didn't know what I was going to do for the day.

Walking past my dresser I stopped when I heard the buzzing coming from within, I narrowed my eyes and slowly made my way to the dresser; I know that I never put anything in the dressed that would cause it to buzz like that. Cautiously I opened the dressed and saw the phone buzzing around my draw, I stared at it until it stopped buzzing and then closed my dresser.

I had a stalker clown on my hands and this was starting to piss me off, its been years since I had anything to do with him and I have changed; I moved on. I think. I quickly walked over to my own phone and flipped it open, I scrolled down the contacts and landed on one person I really didn't want to see.

Mark

He was my boyfriend after the Joker was put away, he brought me back from the point I was at and when I got better, I left him. I clicked his name and saw his number come up on the screen, I sighed and clicked his number.

"Hello?" He spoke into the phone.

It had been months since I had last spoken to him and I sighed into the phone.

"Hey Mark, it's Ava. Would you like to catch some lunch with me?" I asked and then waited for his response.

There was a brief pause before he spoke.

"Alright, I'll come to the penthouse and we can walk to the shop down the road." He replied.

"I will be ready in twenty minutes." I said and then hung up the phone after he responded with an okay.

I didn't fully know why I was going out to lunch with him, maybe I was hoping that the Joker would be around and see that I moved on; maybe back off and do what ever else. Hopefully not get a twinge of jealousy and shoot him on the spot.

I showered quickly, did my hair and make up then rummaged through my dresser. I pulled on a pair of black jeans with blue shoes, a tank top that showed a nice amount of cleavage and grabbed my blue jean coat. Quickly I made my way out of the room and into the main area where Mark was standing patiently.

He was tall, tan and had blonde hair that stopped right at his shoulder; he had it back at the moment. He grey eyes stared into my blue ones as he sent me a soft smile, not a single thing awkward about this right now. I made my way over to him and was pulled into a tight hug, I let out a small grunt and soon pulled away not before smelling something very familiar. I narrowed my eyes and I pulled away, why did he smell like him? Maybe it was just a coincidence.

"Ava, you look great." He looked me up and down.

I didn't response seeing as I really didn't know what to say, he looked nice as always; nothing changed about him. We left the building and walked down towards the shop that I used to go to all the time, a shop that the Joker knew very well and if he was stalking me; that's where he would look. We took a seat outside of the shop and I ordered a coffee sweet and light, he got his usual; dark coffee with no sugar or cream. Nothing changes about this man, I leaned back and scanned the area, cars were passing by and people were walking on the streets. It was a nice day, slightly cloudy but a nice day.

"So what was the occasion?" I heard his voice and snapped back to reality.

"Hm? No occasion, just wanted to apologize for doing what I did. It was rude and just awful." I leaned forwards and placed my hands on the table.

He licked his lips nervously and looked around the area, I narrowed my eyes and then smiled at him. Leaning back once more I crossed my legs and placed my hands on my lap. The coffee was brought to us and we sat silently for a few minutes until his phone rang, the first time he ignored it.

"So how is work?" I asked.

"Uh, just fine actually. Been pretty busy as of lately, you caught me on a good day..." He looked around the area once more and I narrowed my eyes.

"Expecting anyone?" I asked while taking a sip of my coffee.

A small gust of wind pushed my hair back and I watched him swallow a lump in his throat, his phone started to ring once more and this time he quickly answered the phone.

"Yes?" He asked nervously.

I couldn't hear the person on the other line they were muffled but it did sound like a man.

I leaned forward casually and took another sip of my soda, I didn't noticed the black van pulling up behind us. I didn't noticed the clowned men walking up to us and I sure as hell didn't expect to be bashed over the head with a metal pipe and knocked out. It happened in a matter of seconds.