Status: new idea // updates will probably be a little slow at first

Ain't It Fun

two

"What's your favorite color?"

Devin spun around to come face-to-face with the boy she had only met just last week. She had learned his name was Ashton Irwin after much prodding when they would arrive at the coffee shop at the same time. It became sort of a routine for the two. They always stood in line together, chatting idly about nothing in particular and then walking to Economics. They would part ways in the lecture hall to sit in their normal spots. Though, that was more of Devin's doing. The first few times, Ashton tried to sit next to her but she refused, telling him he shouldn't ditch his friends for someone he had just met; Ashton reluctantly complied.

"What?" the blonde girl questioned, shifting her shoulder bag on her arm and rolling her eyes. She had learned quickly that the curly haired charmer was a talker and very hyperactive.

"Your favorite color," Ashton stated, slowly, as if she was stupid. "What is it?"

"Why?"

"Dammit, do you have to be so stubborn?" When Devin only giggled, Ashton huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Because, I'm trying to get to know you better. I thought your favorite color was a good place to start."

"Hm, I suppose. It's pretty lame, though," Devin replied with a smirk. She was purposely messing with him. Today, the line was moving slower than usual and she was bored.

"So?"

"So, what?"

"Dev, come on! What's your favorite color?" Ashton asked again, his arms flying around in emphasis. He was obviously agitated.

"Guess," was the girl's only reply.

Ashton studied her face for a moment, staring right into her eyes. "Hazel."

Devin shook her head. "Why would my favorite color be my own eye color, you idiot?"

"Because it's my eye color, too," Ashton answered, with a cheeky smile.

"You are full of yourself, aren't you?"

The older boy shrugged with a grin, his prominent dimples on display. He reached forward and tugged on one of Devin's curls.

He was always doing that; touching her unexpectedly. When he led her into the lecture hall, he'd place a hand at the small of her back, guiding her. He would squeeze her shoulder when she would get impatient while standing in the coffee line. Sometimes, he would even hug her out of the blue.

Devin didn't mind too much. She wasn't someone who hated to be touched. There was just something about the feel of Ashton's skin against her own that made her blush like crazy. There was no denying that the tall, Australian boy was attractive, with his charming smile and bright eyes and Devin often found herself fighting the urge to run her fingers through his dirty blonde curls. His constant flirtatious behavior did nothing for her wandering mind, either.

Brushing those thoughts from her head, Devin chuckled lightly. "Anyway, I don't really have a favorite color. I like all colors. I love the way they blend and mix to make something new and exciting. The sky isn't one color, it's a mixture of blues and whites coming together to make something beautiful."

"Wow," Ashton breathed out, sarcasm lacing his words. "You really are an art major, aren't you?"

This was one of the few things they knew about each other. While Devin liked to gush on and on about anything to do with art, Ashton loved to talk music. He wanted to be a music teacher. She wanted to be a painter and maybe teach a few classes on the side. They both liked to joke about each others choice of professions but they really admired each others passions.

-----

After getting their respective coffees, they then walked to class having their usual mindless conversations. When they were in the lecture hall, Devin moved to part ways but Ashton grabbed her arm to stop her.

"Sit with me," he pleaded, using his best "puppy dog" eyes.

Devin couldn't resist. The look on his face was too cute and she couldn't say no to him. With a sigh, she replied, "Fine."

She let Ashton lead her to the back of the room, where he usually sat with three other boys. The boys were already sitting there, goofing off and laughing loudly. Devin stood to the side, awkwardly, as Ashton greeted them. She cleared her throat, hoping Ashton would notice how uncomfortable she was at that moment.

"Oh, right!" Ashton exclaimed, pulling Devin forward by the wrist. "This is Devin Martin."

One of the boys, with dark hair and dark eyes, spoke up. "The coffee shop girl, right?"

Another, with purple and black hair, elbowed the other and nodded. "Yea, she's the one Ash won't shut up about."

"Right! The one he's-" the blond one began to say but Ashton spoke up before he could.

"Alright, we get it," he said, holding his hands up to stop them. "Yes, this is her."

"I'm Michael," the boy with multi-colored hair said, holding a hand out, which Devin shook.

"Calum," the dark-haired one added, with a smile.

"And I'm Luke," the blond one chimed in.

"Nice to meet you," Devin replied, with a polite smile that she knew probably looked a little forced. She was never good with meeting new people. Ashton was the one exception since he practically forced himself into her everyday schedule. These friends of Ashton didn't seem too different from himself, though. Maybe, a little calmer but just as friendly. Devin figured it wouldn't be such a bad thing to give these guys a chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
step one: introduce characters ✓
step two: establish relationships ✓

---

okay, so i'm still stuck on purple-haired michael; sue me.

anyway, this should start getting interesting soon. and it will probably time-jump a lot, just because it's going to be a short story, so i need to get stuff to happen sooner but in the not super cliche way.

also, shoutout to my sister who helped me edit this and stuff wooooo.

well i hope you enjoyed this. adios.

//caitie