Status: Completed

The Island

Chapter 3:The Accident

I wiped my sweaty palms off on my jeans. Niki was right across the aisle from me. She was so close. And yet I couldn’t bring myself to talk to her, just look at her. She was beautiful. Her dark brown hair was styled into a sleek bob cut with bangs right at her eyebrows. Her dark pink lips moved delicately as she talked to her friend Carrie. Her deep chocolate eyes were framed by purple glasses. She tucked her hair behind her ear and I noticed that she didn’t have her ears pierced, interesting. I liked it; it made her different from other girls. She was wearing makeup today, usually she didn’t. The effect was stunning. It made me want to talk to her so much more for some reason. Cole noticed me looking and elbowed me hard in the ribs “Hey!” I yelped. Cole grinned and Niki looked over at him.
“Are you okay?” She looked mildly concerned; I knew she was sensitive to those types of things. Things like others being in pain, unless it was Devin. I snapped myself out of it and responded “Yeah I'm fine.” She looked relieved and was about to turn away when I blurted out “How are you?”
Surprised Niki answered “I’m fine, why do you ask?”
Oh crap! I thought what do I say? I was so confused, and her big smile didn't help either. Her teeth were a little crooked but I knew that she was against braces so I didn't mind. Finally I just said “Oh no reason”
“Oh, okay.” She seemed disappointed, but why? Could my words really have that much of an effect on her? I decided to ask Cole. “Man did she seem disappointed to you?”
Cole rolled his eyes and said sarcastically “Duh, I told you man, she likes you.” It hit me with enormous impact. She really did like me. All I could say was “Okay, I believe you.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was in shock. He talked to me, he actually talked to me. It was short and awkward, but I could tell he was nervous. I was touched by this and found myself blushing. “Girl, I don’t like to say I told you so, but I so told you he liked you!”
“Oh I know you were right.” I said this with a smile. In fact I was smiling on the inside too. The bus ride to the airport seemed strangely long after that, but it gave me time to think. Something I deeply needed after my brief chat with Kyle.
Two hours later we were on a plane to France, Paris to be specific. It was a small plane. Us teens, Mr. Ross, The captain, and a flight attendant named Michelle, were the only people on board. The guys sat towards the back and the girls gathered to the middle. Mr. Ross sat in the front, close to the captains area. Michelle walked up and down the aisle offering complimentary drinks and snacks. She was nice, I liked her. She sat and chatted with us for a little bit before the fasten seatbelts light came on and she went to the front of the plane by Mr. Ross. Suddenly the captain made an announcement over the loudspeaker
“Attention passengers, I regret to inform you that the plane has run out of fuel. There seems to have been a leak and we will be landing in the ocean. It has been an honor flying with you.” The speaker clicked off and Brittany screamed louder than I had ever heard someone scream before. A boy let out a gasp; I couldn’t tell which one it was. Mr. Ross yelled from the front of the plane “Get down in between the seats, curl into a ball and cover your neck with your hands.” I broke down in tears as I followed the teachers orders, I couldn’t help it. Then Carrie spoke “No matter what happens, I'm so glad to have you as a friend. I love you girl.” Tiffany was sobbing and gasping for air. Brian said something incoherent. It sounded like a prayer. I almost laughed, I had never figured Brian to be the religious type. It became real then. The plane was crashing, and I was going to die. I thought of all the things I hadn’t done. I’d never kissed a boy, never sang in public, and before I left I forgot to tell my pets I loved them. I began to sob as I never had before.
All went silent on the doomed plane, the only sounds were the hiccuping cries of everyone on board. Then I stifled my cries to sing a song from a bible camp I went to with Carrie. “Lord prepare me, to be a sanctuary. Pure and holy, tried and true. With thanksgiving, I’ll be a living, sanctuary, for you.” After a verse or two people started to gradually join in, I even heard Mr. Ross’s deep bass voice in the mix. We all started again but we were cut short “…with thanksgiving, I’ll be a living, sanctuary, for you. Lord prepare me-” Then it all went to chaos.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cliffhanger for next chapter! PLEASE comment/review!