Status: Completed.

Different Dimension

Seven.

The next couple of weeks were some of the best weeks Zack could remember. Like, literally, he hadn’t been able to stop smiling and he felt like he was floating on a cloud of wonderfulness. Why? Because of Martin, of course. After that first spontaneous coffee date (which Zack’s friends had been speechless at, because hello hot Junior?), Zack and Martin had been on six more dates. Six! Two more lunch dates and a dinner date that week, and one lunch date and two evening dates the following week. Martin had tried to pay for every single one of those dates too, but Zack had beaten him to the punch three times. What? He didn’t want the relationship (relationship? Could he even call it that?) to be one-sided.

The reason Zack was so happy was because Martin was perfect. Zack really liked spending time around Martin. The older boy was so funny, and smart, and kind. He’s never met anyone so…mature. Albeit a little grumpy if his day hadn’t gone well, and fairly brooding, but still mature. Well, his ex (and only) boyfriend was a year older, but Martin was over two years older (Martin’s birthday being in September so he was already 21, while Zack had to wait until April until he turned 19), and that really seemed to make the difference. Not that Martin was his boyfriend…but he could be in the future, right? Especially if everything kept going this well.

Zack hoped so, at least.

Today was a day that Zack wouldn’t be seeing Martin, because he wanted to spend some time with his friends too. Zack didn’t want to be that guy who ditched his friends for his boyfriend, so it was important to keep that balance. He was having lunch with Rian, Alex, Jack, Sierra and Tay out on the quad, all of them sitting on the grass in the sunshine. It was really kind of perfect weather for it too, so Zack’s happiness didn’t falter.

“…and I swear, last night she had at least three different guys in her room! Right, Tay?” Sierra said incredulously.

Tay just nodded, grimacing. Apparently the girl next door to them had a rather active sex life already, and wasn’t scared to display it.

“You should hook me up,” Jack said, grinning.

“You have no shame,” Sierra said bluntly.

“Speaking of last night though, how was your date, Zack?” Rian smirked.

Smooth. Real smooth.

“Ooh, you went on another date with the hot Junior? Details! Details!” Alex demanded.

Zack blushed, making them laugh.

“We just went to a gallery exhibition! That was all!” Zack protested.

“A gallery? Seriously?” Jack snickered.

“Martin had been recommended it from his classes – there was some really beautiful Italian art!” Zack insisted.

Majoring in Italian Studies apparently meant that Martin was clued into all the cultural hotspots of the city. Not that Zack was complaining – it was genuinely nice to do something other than dinner.

“Wow, how old is this guy, 50?” Alex teased.

“Ignore them, I think it’s romantic that he’s trying different things,” Sierra said firmly, Tay nodding.

Zack offered her a grateful smile, even as the guys groaned, to which Sierra just winked.

“I like that he wants to do something different on a date, y’know? Makes it interesting. Shows that he’s at least a little interested in me, right?”

“Wait, what? What do you mean at least a little interested?” Rian frowned.

“Yeah, you’ve been on 7 dates in two weeks!” Alex added.

Zack sighed. He wasn’t meant to be vocalising this. It had been swirling around his head but he hadn’t wanted to say it out loud.

“What’s wrong, Zack?” Sierra asked.

“I just don’t know what our situation is,” Zack shrugged.

His friends frowned but didn’t say anything. Great. They wanted him to elaborate.

“He hasn’t said anything, y’know? Martin’s not big on expressing his feelings, I can tell that already. I’d just like to know if he wants to be serious, I guess? That he’s not just taking me on dates to get me in bed with him and then he’s finished with me?” Zack rambled, cheeks blushing.

“Oh Zack, is this really what you’ve been thinking?” Sierra gasped.

Zack just shrugged, not trusting himself to speak.

“Look, I don’t know much about Martin, but I do know he’s friends with my cousin Kennedy. And I know Kennedy – he wouldn’t be friends with someone who acted like that,”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. Kennedy hates assholes. And yeah, Martin does sound like a bit of an asshole but not to that extent,”

That made Zack feel a little bit better. But not much. It still didn’t give him much of an answer about why Martin was holding back.

“I’d just like to know if it’s going somewhere. That’s all,” Zack said softly.

“You really like him, huh?” Alex mused.

“Yeah, probably more than I should at this stage. He’s perfect,” Zack said, grinning.

His friends groaned at how mushy he was, making him laugh.

“Maybe you shouldn’t think too much about it,” Rian suggested.

“What do you mean?” Zack frowned.

“I mean, you’re creating problems in your head when there aren’t really any yet? It’s early days, right? If it’s meant to happen with Martin, it’ll happen,” Rian explained.

Huh. That kinda makes sense.

“Okay. I’ll try not to think too hard, I guess,” Zack said.

He could do that, right? He could rein in his emotions while things with Martin were still figuring themselves out, right?

“Fantastic! Now this emotion-laden stuff is out of the way, who’s up for a party tonight?” Jack said, cutting the silence.

Nice, Jack. Way to be a hormone-ridden freshman.

“Jack, you are an emotionless douchebag. You know that, right?” Alex scolded.

“Sure, my mom tells me every week,” Jack grinned, making them all laugh, “anyone for more pizza?”

Zack shook his head, Rian and Sierra staying with him while the others went back inside. As they started up a new conversation, Zack found himself slipping back inside his head. Rian’s advice made sense. Try not to think too much into the situation. He may not let himself think about it – but he could do something, right? Act on his thoughts rather than just let them stew? Maybe Martin was thinking the same things he was. He could only try, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Zack thinks too much ^_^
But at least it means he cares, right?
Does Martin feel the same way though?
The next one is a bit angsty, not gonna lie...

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following who commented! I know this isn't the most popular ATL/etc. pairing, so I really do appreciate it when I get feedback! Makes me feel like it's worth continuing lol.

xMareBear14x
JuneBurn
I'd.Be.Your.Tears
Tattoo
fiction246
Forever Young.

xo