Status: Completed.

Different Dimension

Six.

3pm. The time had come. Martin couldn’t believe he’d plucked the courage to talk to Paul’s beautiful freshman this morning, let alone to ask him out for coffee. To ask him out on a date. Well, he hoped it was a date. He hadn’t specified, but he was pretty obvious, right? And Zack seemed into him, right?

Fuck. What if Zack thought he was just being nice? What if the freshman thought it was just a welcome to campus thing? Fuck.

No, now is not the time to freak out. Be cool, Martin, be cool. So what if he was the most beautiful guy he’d seen in a while? So what if his body (what he could tell through his shirt) was fucking ripped? So what if Martin had a weakness for guys that blushed? Not his fault.

He’d gotten to the library to wait for Zack at exactly 3pm, even though he knew Zack’s class didn’t end until 3pm, but he wanted to give himself a little time to compose himself, so he wouldn’t still be panicking when Zack arrived. Because he had a tendency to overthink things, obviously. And because that would totally ruin his older cooler mysterious guy image.

10 minutes of waiting, Martin’s hands seconds away from wringing in nerves, Martin spotted Zack jogging towards him. Oh thank fuck.

“Hey, I’m sorry it took me so long to get here. I was kinda worried that you would’ve left,” Zack blurted.

The younger boy immediately blushed, making Martin grin. Okay, good start.

“Never. Ready for coffee?”

“Definitely,” Zack nodded.

“Great. I know this really great little café just off campus, if you don’t mind a walk?” Martin suggested.

Zack just smiled, a wonderful beaming smile that made Martin’s stomach flip. But ssh.

*

The walk to the café didn’t take too long, but it was a nice day and Zack was more than willing to talk to fill any possible silence. Martin didn’t mind, obviously. It was refreshing to find someone who talked without just talking about himself, especially with such a positive attitude. The guys usually interested in Martin were either as bitter and grumpy as he was, or were completely self-obsessed. The complete opposite of Zack, clearly. It must’ve been fate that made Paul his RA this year.

“So, um, I just gonna put this out here, feel free to throw it back and punch me if I’m wrong, but…you’re gay too, right?” Zack asked.

Martin just wanted to coo over how nervous Zack sounded, despite trying to be confident. And wow he didn’t know any freshman ever who had the balls to say that.

“Yeah, I’m gay,” Martin nodded, smiling, earning a smile back.

“Good,” Zack said simply, although his ears were tinged pink.

It honestly scared Martin how much this blush affected him.

And so quickly too.

“I’ll grab the drinks if you grab a table?” Martin suggested.

“Okay, um, can I have a mocha?” Zack asked.

Adorable.

“Sure. Anything to eat?”

Zack just shook his head, unzipping his rucksack. Martin frowned until Zack pulled out his wallet, which made him roll his eyes.

“I’m not letting you pay on our first date,” Martin mused.

First. Whoops.

Zack tried to frown, but failed as his smile won through. Well at least he’d cleared up that this was a date. Thank fuck for that.

“Table by the window?” Zack asked, raising an eyebrow, confidence shining through again.

“Whatever you want,” Martin smiled.

*

The date had gone well. Really well. So well that Martin almost couldn’t stop himself from smiling as they walked back to campus. Almost. Zack was so passionate, and sweet, and kind, and seemed genuinely interested in him. Like, he asked loads of questions about Martin, waited patiently for Martin to ask them back, and laughed at all of Martin’s awful jokes. That was a good sign, right?

Martin actually found himself not wanting the date to end, but he didn’t want to make it awkward. Leave him wanting more, right?

“I’ve had a really good time, Martin,” Zack said, as they walked up to Zack’s dorm room.

Totally innocent. Martin was going to see Paul after anyway, and seeing as they’re on the same corridor…

“Me too. I’d like to do this again,”

Wow. Way to sound like a robot.

But Zack just grinned. “Um, can I have your number then?”

Wow. This guy really did have way more courage than Martin ever had. Martin handed over his phone without hesitating, typing his number in quickly. Zack grinned even more (was his face not aching?), typing quickly, and then Martin felt his phone buzz. Oh cool. Zack had texted him to send his number. Smart.

“I’ll see you soon, yeah?” Martin said softly, once they’d reached Zack’s dorm.

“Yeah,” Zack said happily.

Without being able to help himself, Martin leant forward, pressing quick kiss to Zack’s lips, pulling back when he realised just how middle school that was. Wow. Way to go, idiot.

But the blush that spread over Zack’s cheeks, and the happiness that filled his face made him feel better about his impulsiveness. Slightly. Okay, maybe more than slightly, but what of it? This boy was contagious.

As soon as Zack walked into his dorm, Martin found himself punching the air in happiness, not bothering to check if anyone was watching. Fuck them if they were (no-one was). He was allowed to celebrate a great spontaneous date with a gorgeous guy.

Before he could embarrass himself any further though, Martin walked down to Paul’s room, not bothering to knock on the door before he walked in.

“Wait a…oh, it’s you. Thanks for not respecting my privacy, Marty,” Paul snorted.

Martin just grinned and shrugged. Paul should be used to it by now.

But as Martin sat down next to Paul on his bed, his best friend scowled at him. What?

“What did you do?” Paul asked.

“What on Earth do you mean?” Martin said innocently.

“You look far too happy for you,” Paul retorted.

“I take offence at that,” Martin said, pouting.

Seriously, he wasn’t always grumpy. Maybe, like 80% of the time.

“Dude, you’re practically glowing,” Paul taunted, “Who did you fuck?”

“I didn’t fuck him!” Martin protested.

Paul grinned. Damn it.

“So, who is the lucky guy?” Paul asked.

Martin bit his bottom lip. Would Paul be mad if he told him? His best friend had warned him not to mess with his freshmen…he wasn’t really messing with Zack, so it wouldn’t count, right?

“Go on, out with it!” Paul prompted.

“Um, I went out for coffee with Zack?” Martin confessed.

“Zack who?” Paul asked, raising an eyebrow.

Here goes nothing.

“Um, Zack…6 doors down?” Martin said.

3…2…1…

“My freshman Zack? For fuck’s sake, Marty, what is wrong with you? I said no corrupting my freshmen!” Paul groaned.

“I’m not corrupting him! We just went out for coffee!” Martin insisted.

“But you want it to be more,” Paul retorted.

“Well, I don’t know. Maybe. He’s a sweet guy. Really sweet. And he’s really interesting, not one of those boring people you try to set me up with. And you know how much I like it when guys blush,” Martin protested.

“Yeah, I know,” Paul sighed, “Fuck, Marty. Why him? Why my freshman?”

“Can’t help it. I just bumped into him today, saved him from falling down a set of stairs, we got talking and I just sorta asked him out,” Martin explained.

Way to sound like a dork, Martin.

“A real knight in shining armour,” Paul snorted.

Martin just blushed. Zack had called him that, hadn’t he?

“Look, I know you don’t just go after guys unless you’re serious about them…”

“Woah, I didn’t say it was serious,” Martin interrupted, “I just said he was sweet and interesting,”

“Well, whatever you think about him, don’t fuck it up. I’m responsible for him this entire year and I don’t want to be cleaning up your mess,” Paul warned.

“I’ll try?” Martin offered.

“You’re a dick. Remember to keep him quiet when you’re riding him, I don’t want to hear it,” Paul grimaced.

“Can’t promise anything,” Martin grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! The date went well!
I kinda love Martin and Paul's friendship already lol.
It can only go up from here, right?

Sorry for the long wait. I don't really have an excuse other than I just didn't have the energy or the inspiration. But I'm back now :)

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following who commented! Please keep your feedback coming, I really would love to know what you think.

Tattoo
fiction246
mixtape-of-her-bands

xo