You Can Be My Romeo

Chapter Eight

Morning came and I woke up fairly early since I went to bed early. I looked at the time to see that it was after nine in the morning, I sighed and climbed out of bed, just as I was about to change out of my pajamas, my phone rang. I answered it, it was the vet saying that Pepper, the dog I had found and brought into my home, was already to come home, her surgery was finished and it had gone well.

I showered, changed and walked downstairs, thinking that James had left, but was surprised to see him still asleep on the couch. He looked so peaceful when he slept; I stared at him, remembering what it used to be like before I left. I walked over towards him, bent down and looked at him face; he was lying on his stomach, legs hanging off of the couch, arms under the pillow that he was drooling on. I giggled a little and then ran my fingers through his hair and kissed his head.

I sighed and then stood up, walking into the kitchen to grab my keys, looking at the time to see it was after ten. I turned around to walk out of the kitchen, when James appeared in front of me, I jumped, he scared me, “James, fuck- You scared me.”

“Sorry,” he mumbled and I looked up at him, “You going somewhere?”

“I ya, I have to pick up my dog,” I said and he looked at me confused.

“You have a dog?”

“I found her yesterday, she’s got a broken leg,” I said and James just looked at me, “Um, thanks for your help, is there anywhere I can drop you off at?”

“I’m coming with you,” he said and I looked at him shocked.

“Ro, I’m fine, you-“

“See,” I looked at him, “Just the fact that you still call me that, it means that there’s something still here.”

James, I’m fine,” I said and he looked at me, taking the keys from my hands.

“Where’s the vet?”

“James!” I yelled at he turned around and headed towards the front door, “What are you doing?!”

“You don’t believe there’s something here, so I’m going to prove it to you,” James said and I looked at it, “And I’m going to do it like I used to.”

“How?”

“Spend the whole day with you,” he said and I just looked at him. James took a step forward; I backed up and felt my back against the wall. I closed my eyes and bit my lip when I felt James’ hand on my neck, his thumb rubbing my cheek, “I miss you, Jewels.”

I looked up towards James, leaning into his hand, “I miss you too,” I breathe, James taking a step forward, but then sighed and kissed my head.

“Come on, let’s go get your dog,” James said and I nodded my head, he backed up and I was about to move forward, when I felt him grab my wrist, “Is this the arm where the freak grabbed you?!” I looked down and saw a bruise on my arm; I sighed and nodded my head, “Juliet! Quit that job!”

“No! I need that job!” I growled and looked at James.

“I don’t care if you get paid well- You know I’ll take care of you, Jewels- I promised you years ago that I would!” James said and I sighed and shook my head, “Juliet!”

“No!” I yelled and then walked passed him and then headed for the door, outside and then to my car, finally realizing that when I got to the door, I didn’t have my keys, “James!”

“I’m not letting you go alone,” he said as he followed me.

“It’s just to the vet, I’ll be fine- Stop this!” I growled and he opened the passenger door and waited for me to go onto the other side of the car.

“Great, I’ll drive you,” he said and I glared at him.

Of course, he always got his way, and now was no different, I walked to the other side of the car, took a seat in the passenger seat. James walked around the car and sat in the driver’s seat, adjusting the seat so that he could actually fit his tall frame in. I gave him directions to the vet clinic, we both walked inside and he looked around, patiently waiting behind me, he was so close that I could smell his yesterday’s cologne even with my back to him.

“Hi, can I help you?” the woman behind the desk said as she looked up at me.

“Yes, I’m here for Pepper,” I said and the woman looked down and started to go through papers.

“Pepper?” James asked and I looked at him and gave him a little glare, “Why Pepper?”

“When you see her, you’ll know,” I said and then turned around and the woman pulled out a file.

“Ok, so I have a note here saying that the dog was a stray and that you’ll be taking her in?” she asked and I nodded my head, “Ok, so we did normal tests on her and then she went through leg surgery to repair the broken leg.”

“What about pregnancy, the doctor told me yesterday that she might be pregnant?” I asked and the nurse looked through the papers.

“It’s here as positive, we tried to do an ultrasound; however, it’s too soon, so that means that she’s about two to three weeks along,” the woman said and I nodded my head, realizing that this dog is going to be a lot more work that I pictured, “So we’ll schedule an appointment for two weeks for you to come back in for an ultrasound.”

“All right,” I said and then watched the lady walk to the other side of her little area to grab a book.

“So you found a knocked up pup,” James said and I looked at him and sighed.

“None of this was planned,” I said and then looked back towards the woman. She gathered paperwork and then placed some in front of me, asking for my signature.

“All right, let me ring up your bill and then I’ll get Pepper for you,” she said and I nodded my head and went for my wallet in my purse.

“Are you going to be able to pay for this?” James muttered into my ear and I looked at him.

“I’ll be fine,” I muttered back, knowing that this was going to put a huge hole in my bank account. When the woman came back, placing the paper in front of me that showed that my bill was over a thousand dollars, I nearly got sick right there. I wasn’t sure if it was going to clean me out completely or if I even had enough in the bank. I was grabbing my debit card out of my wallet, about to put it on the counter when I heard the woman say thank you. I looked up and saw her walking away, “Wha- James!” I growled and looked at him, knowing he had handed the woman some form of payment, “Why did-“

“Because I know that you don’t have that,” he breathed and I looked at him, “It’s no big deal, don’t worry about it.”

“Would you like to keep your card on file, Mr. Neal?” the woman asked.

“N-“

“Yes!” James said quickly and I elbowed him in the stomach when the woman turned around.

“Stop it!” I hissed and he just shook his head, “You don’t have to take care of me.”

“I’m always going to take care of you- When are you going to realize that?” he said and I sighed and shook my head.

“All right, let me go and get Pepper and we’ll schedule that 2 week ultrasound appointment,” the woman said and I sighed, watching her walk away, disappearing, only to return a few minutes later with Pepper.

‘…I don’t even have a leash or collar for her…’ I thought and then smiled when I saw the dog, bending down and petting her. She was scared and excited all at once, a bright pink cast on her leg showing where she had just gone through surgery.

-James-
I smirked when Juliet was petting the dog that she had just rescued, when we were together, she always asked for me to get her a dog, I never did. The dog started to lick Juliet and she laughed and then stood up, taking the rope from the woman, saying that she’ll give it to Juliet since she didn’t have a leash for the dog. They scheduled the appointment for the ultrasound and then we left, I was going to drive to the nearest pet store to get the dog what it needed, something I should have done a while ago.

‘…It’s nice, being with her again- Acting like nothing happened…’ I thought and looked over towards Juliet, she was looking out the window, her eyes closed and she looked to be enjoying the sun shining on her face, “You all right?”

“You didn’t need to do that, James,” she said and then looked at me, “You don’t need to take care of me anymore.”

“Too bad,” I told her and smirked, “I made a promise to you- Didn’t I?”

“James, we’re not-“

“Didn’t I?” I repeated and she sighed and nodded her head, “I still love you Juliet, that’s never going to change- And I know that you’ll come back.”

“James-“

“Stop calling me that,” I growled, never liking when she called me by my name.

“That’s your name!”

“Jewels,” I growled and looked at her, “Are you honestly going to sit there and act like you still don’t love me?!”

“I don’t-“

“Lie!”

“James, I can’t-“

“Lie!”

“James-“

“Stop lying, Jewels!” I yelled and then looked at her, her eyes were watering, “I still love you, god dammit! After all the shit you put me through, Juliet! I still fuckin’ love you!”