You Can Be My Romeo

Chapter Nine

“Are you going to follow me for the rest of the summer?” I asked as James walked into the house with me, carrying the bags that were filled with supplies for Pepper.

“Pretty much- Yeah,” James said and I sighed, “Where do you want the bags?”

“I could have gotten them,” I said and then looked at James to see him placing the bags that contained, dog food, toys, and a collar and leash on the couch.

“I’ll go get the boxes,” he said, ignoring me and walking out the house, back to my car. I sighed and shook my head, looking down at Pepper and smiling at her.

“Welcome to your new home, honey,” I bent down and pet her; she licked my hand and leaned against me.

“You got a dog house too?” James asked as he walked back into the house, a bag and two big boxes in each arm.

“Yeah,” I said and he leaned the boxes against the bed and then placed the big bag that contained two dog beds on the floor.

“You want me to set them up?” he asked and I shook my head.

“I’ll get it, you’ve done enough- Thanks,” I said and he nodded his head, but I shook my head when I watched James grab one box and start to open it, “Or do what you want.”

“Do you work tonight?” James asked and I looked at him and nodded my head, “What time?”

“Ten to four,” I said and James sighed and shook his head, “What?!”

“I don’t like you working that job,” he said and I sighed and rolled my eyes.

“It’s a job,” I stated, turning around and heading into the kitchen, grabbing the dog food bags on the way.

“Yeah, a job you don’t even have to have if you came back with me!” James yelled from the living room and I sighed and shook my head.

I was hungry, going into the fridge I looked to see what I had and what I could make to eat. I didn’t have much; my lunchmeat was gone because I fed it to Pepper yesterday. I heard James call my name; I walked back into the living room to see that he had set up the one cage that was going to be placed inside.

“Thanks,” I breathed and James looked at me and nodded his head. He placed the one dog bed in the cage and then moved it against the wall, standing up and moving towards me.

“Any time,” James breathed standing in front of me and I looked up at him. I breathed his name and then backed up, my back against the wall; James moved forwards and cupped my cheek, “I mean it, Jewels- Any time.”

“Thanks,” I breathed and he nodded his head, and before I realized, James leaned down and pressed his lips against mine. When I felt his hand on my hip, I gasped and leaned back, my hands on his chest and I looked up at him, “James, please-“

“Do you remember our first time together?” he asked quickly, looking down, both of his hands on my hips, “The first time we slept together.”

“I remember,” I breathed, James looked me in the eye and I shivered, his look it made me feel something.

“Do you remember what I told you that night?” he asked and I gulped and nodded my head, “What? What did I tell you?”

“You- You told me you’d love me forever,” I answered and James cupped my chin and made me look at him.

“I never lied to you, Jewels- Never,” he breathed and stared at me in the eyes, “I love you- Why can’t you see that? I know you still love me.”

“James-“

“Come on, Jewels,” James growled and I bit my lip, “Where’s my Juliet?”

“She’s gone-“

“STOP LYING!!!” James yelled, slamming his fist against the wall and making my jump, “I know you still care about me!”

“Please go home,” I muttered, looking down, not being able to look at him, I really did want to go with him, and then at the same time I didn’t, “Please.”

“Fine,” he grumbled and I felt his body pull away from mine, unpinning me from the wall, “I’ll see you later,” he said and then I looked up to watch him leave the house.

I bit my lip, fell to the ground and started to cry, I was trying to save him from me and all I was doing was hurting both of us.

-James-
I hadn’t seen Juliet since I left her home the other day, and since she was my ride, I walked to town, which was a long walk. It was Monday and I knew that she wouldn’t have any work tonight since the bar was closed, and I learned that the cabin I owned by the lake was just a short twenty minute drive to her home.

I was driving towards Juliet’s house, pulling into her driveway to see a familiar car in the driveway. I got out; confusion hit me as I wondered why he was here. I walked to the home, up the stairs and to the front door, the door was opened, so I could see into the house from behind the screen door. I heard laughing and then knocked on the door and walked in, looking around and following the noise to see that Juliet was outside, sitting on the back porch with her best friend, Bridget, and my brother, Mike.

‘…What the hell is he doing here?...’ I thought as I stepped outside and Juliet looked at me wide eyed.

“James?” she called out and I looked at her, “What are you doing here?”

“Told you I would stop by,” I lied, but didn’t care, looking at my brother to see him in the yard playing with Pepper, Juliet’s new dog.

“Hi James!” Bridget smile brightly and then looked at Juliet, “Please tell me you guys are back together?!”

“Trying!” I said over Juliet’s ‘no’, she gave me a small glare, but I brushed it off and took the seat between the two girls.

“Remind me when I said you could come over- And how did you even get in?!” she asked and I smirked towards her.

“Walked through the front door- You really shouldn’t leave that unlocked and open like that-“

“I’ll have to remember that,” she muttered and I heard footsteps and turned my head to see Mike running up the stairs.

“Hey! Jimmy! What are you doing here?!” Mike asked as I bent down as Pepper ran over to me and jumped up a little.

“Came to visit,” I said and Mike smiled brightly at me.

“Came to visit or came to visit?!”

“Shut up, Mikey!” Juliet growled and I looked at her, she’s always been close with all of my family, my brothers especially.

“Come on, Jewels!” he laughed and wrapped his arm around her neck and kissed his head, “My brother’s an idiot for letting a girl like you go!” Mike smirked, and I snapped a look at him, because I knew that Mike knew the truth, so I didn’t know why he was saying that.

“Not his fault,” Juliet breathed and I looked at her and sighed.

“Well! It’s late, we’re gunna head out!” Bridget said quickly and then stood up, “Thanks for lunch, Jewels, I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“See you then,” Juliet smiled, standing up and hugging her friend and then my brother. I glared at him when he wrapped his arms around her neck, kissed her head and then muttered something in her ear, looking at me the whole time, “Shut up, Mike!”

He laughed and I saw that her face was bright red and she was pushing my brother a way, I couldn’t help but wonder what he had told her. When Bridget was heading into the house, she looked back at me and winked, I knew she really wanted Juliet and I to get back together, hell, I really wanted to get back together.

Juliet and I were alone, I walked into the house and when Juliet closed the front door, I came up behind her and hugged her. She sighed, I laid my forehead on her should and just held her against me, “James-“

“Why won’t you give us a chance again?” I muttered out, not looking at her.

“I can’t handle it- I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Can’t handle what?”

“Your schedule!” she barked out and then turned around and leaned against the closed door, “I hate the fact that you’re always gone and that I feel so useless!”

“Jewels, Pittsburgh’s different than Dallas! The WAGS are always doing something to keep themselves busy so you don’t feel like that! They’re nicer and- Pittsburgh’s just nothing like Dallas!”

“I’m sorry, James,” she said and tried to walk away, but I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back, pressing my lips against hers, cupping her face and feeling her hands on my chest. I got excited when she kissed back, but she suddenly pulled away and looked at me, “You need to stop doing this.”

“And you need to come back with me,” I said and she sighed and shook her head, “Look, come with me to the lake this weekend- Some of the guys are coming up and you can meet my teammates, see for yourself!”

“James-“

“Please Jewels,” I said, looking at her, trying to put my best puppy dog eyes I could have and convince her to come.

“I have work-“

“I’ll have it on Sunday- You’re off!” I said quickly and she sighed and looked at me, “Please Jewels! If you don’t like them- Then fine, I won’t bring Pittsburgh up again and I will leave you alone!”

“Fine.”

“Fine?” I said and she nodded her head, “You’ll come?”

“I’ll come- But if I don’t like them- You leave me alone.”

“Deal,” I said and she nodded her head and then walked towards the kitchen, leaving me standing there watching her leave, ‘…What the hell did I just do?...’