‹ Prequel: The Maroon Beret

A New Life

Fourteen

-Charlie-
I’m not sure how we’ve been so lucky. Then again, we’ve been ridiculously unlucky at the same time.

It’s been a month since Sean was attacked by Anne, and he’s making great progress. His side is completely healed, and his concussion is getting there. He sometimes gets small headaches still, but his memory has almost all returned. I was mostly relieved that he was able to have a nice dinner out with me to celebrate his birthday, since between the concussion and the pregnancy I was worried we were going to be stuck at home.

Right now, he’s still not playing with the team. He’s practicing, but they haven’t decided that he’s ready for game-like play yet. It’s killing him, but he’s spending his extra free time helping me get the house ready for our girls to arrive. Which of course is fantastic, since I was officially put on bed rest two weeks ago.

It’s absolutely adorable, watching him get so excited over putting their room together. We spent three hours online just trying to pick out cribs. I picked my favorites, and he picked his. Then we compared them and debated which one we wanted. We caught a small break, since we had three in common on our lists. But between the three it took a while to narrow it down to one.

We also officially decided on names for the girls. We haven’t told anyone else, but we’ve got them in our hearts already.

I’m looking at baby clothes online, picking out a couple things I like, when he comes bounding in from morning practice.

“Babe! I’m playing tonight!” He says, a huge smile on his face.
“Oh my gosh, really? Congratulations!” I say.

I start to get up to hug him, but his arms are quick to lay me back down.

“You know you’re not allowed to get up.” He says seriously.
“I just want to hug you, Sean.” I respond with a smile.
He thinks for a minute, his decision written across his face.

“You’re up, you hug me, and then you’re right back in bed.” He says, helping me to my feet. I wrap my arms around him and hold him tight for as long as he lets me. Eventually, he has to pull away and help me back into bed. He goes back out into the kitchen to get lunch and returns in a couple minutes, crawling into bed with me.

“What do you want to watch?” I ask, flipping through the channels.
“Bones is on.” He suggests, digging into the lunch Johanna made for us.

I turn it on and it just so happens to be a hockey-focused episode. I laugh when I realize it, and we both cheer when we notice David Boreanaz is wearing a Flyers shirt. Bones has quickly become one of our favorite shows, especially since we met David. He’s a huge Flyers fan and likes to bring that to his character on the show.

We watch the episode together and as soon as Sean is done his lunch, he sets his plate aside and curls up against me. His hand rests on my stomach and traces small patterns. I start to brush my fingers through his hair and his fingers slow down, until his breath evens out and I know he’s asleep.

I grab my phone and send a text off to Janine, telling her the good news and asking if she’d like to come watch the game with me. She agrees and I curl up as best as I can to take a nap with my husband.

Sean’s alarm wakes us both up a little while later, and he begins to get ready for the game. I smile at him softly, but I’m not completely awake yet so I doze off a little more.

“Charlie? Babe.” His voice soothingly wakes me a little while later.
“Yeah?” I respond.
“I gotta leave now.”
“Oh.”

I begin to stir, trying to sit up. He helps me by setting the pillows behind my back and makes sure I have everything I need before he leaves. Once I’m settled, I pull him in for a deep kiss. I tease him a little with my tongue, causing him to moan.

“Don’t start something we can’t finish for a couple months.” He groans, mentioning our strict orders not to have sex for the rest of the pregnancy.
“I can still finish you later.” I purr, causing his eyes to go dark with desire. “If you score a goal.”

He groans, but a wicked smile brushes his face.

“Promise?” He asks.
“Absolutely.” I respond.
He growls slightly, causing my entire body to shiver.
“You’re making it so difficult for me to put my cup on later.” He complains.

I chuckle and pull him in for another kiss, this time a little less intense. He smiles throughout it, caressing the side of my face. When he pulls away, he drops his head to my stomach to leave two kisses. It’s become our routine, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I love you, my girls. I can’t wait to hold you in just two months from now.” He says to my bump. “I know I’ve been promising all season to get you a hat trick, and you’re probably annoyed that I haven’t done it yet. But trust me, daddy is going to score tonight. And then he’s going to come home and score again!”

I laugh out loud and shove Sean’s shoulder. He chuckles with me and presses another two kisses to my stomach before returning to my lips.

“I love you, Charlie.” He says.
“I love you too.” I respond. “Now get out of here before you’re late and don’t get to play at all.”

He kisses me again and heads out the door, making sure to keep it open for when Janine shows up.

To my surprise, when she shows up a little while later, she isn’t alone. She’s also brought Brianne and Amanda with her.

“So you’re never going to believe this.” Janine says, coming into the room and sitting on the bed.
“What’s that?” I ask, smiling at the two extra visitors.
“Amanda finally joined the club.” Brianne answers.
“What club?”

Amanda holds up her left hand, showing off a gorgeous diamond ring.

“Oh my gosh!” I shout excitedly, sitting up. “Claude finally pulled his head out of his ass!”
“Chill, momma!” Janine says. “We really don’t need Sean getting mad at us because you went into labor on our watch.”
“Congratulations!” I squeal, ignoring my best friend.
“Thanks.” Amanda blushes.

We spend the rest of the wait until puck drop discussing weddings and babies. Janine and Brianne are both getting married this summer, and Amanda is thinking about planning for next summer. I show them my Pinterest board filled with baby room ideas, and we fawn over the ideas I have. They love the idea of using light gray as my main color, and having pink and orange as accent colors in the bedding, rugs, lamps, and other small things in the room.

They beg me to tell them the names we’ve decided on, but I stand my ground. I only repeat their initials, which Sean and I have already told them.

I.M.C. and M.G.C.

They spend the rest of the time guessing names, but I don’t give them any idea of if they have it right or not. Amanda actually guesses one of them, but even then I don’t give a hint. I simply keep my face straight and watch the pre-game show.

“Ladies, I was military trained. Air Force Special Operations. Do you really think I’m going to break this easily?” I ask with a smirk once they show Lauren Hart starting to sing the national anthem.

They groan, but finally give it up just in time for puck drop.

The game is surprisingly boring, considering they’re playing the Rangers. A division rivalry, and one of the bigger city rivalries in the country. But both defenses and both goalies are playing incredible games, and neither offense is able to make a solid move.

The big excitement comes in the middle of the third period when Sean takes a beautiful feed from Matt and puts it behind Lundqvist. I want so badly to jump up and cheer, but I know I have to hold it back. I smile brightly and feel a small kick in my side.

“Well, the girls know their daddy just scored!” I laugh.

Seconds later, Zac Rinaldo nets a goal of his own and the game ends 2-0. The girls stick around to watch the post-game interviews, but then slowly start making their way out the door.

“Be sure to congratulate Sean on his game-winning goal, eh?” Amanda jokes.
“I most definitely will.” I wink.

An hour later, Sean comes bounding into the room, his hair still wet from his shower. He starts shedding his game day suit, eyeing me. When he’s stripped down to his briefs, he straddles my legs and pushes my shirt slowly up, leaving a trail of sloppy kisses in his path. His hands are warm on my skin.

“It was so difficult putting on my cup.” He says.
“I bet.” I respond.
“I scored a goal.”
“I saw.”
“I’ve been thinking about you since I left.”
I shiver.
“I guess you want your reward, huh?” I ask.
“It can wait. I need to take care of you first.”

When all is said and done (twice), I rest my head on Sean’s chest and listen to his strong heartbeat. It comforts me, and I find myself drifting asleep.

“You’re going to be okay with me being on the road for a little, right?” He asks.
“Of course, Sean.” I respond, knowing he’s worried about the week-long trip starting tomorrow. “Drew is coming to stay with me, and I’ll have the girls too.”
“I just really don’t want to be in like Anaheim when you go into labor.” He admits.
“Baby, it’s only the middle of December. The girls aren’t expected until the beginning of February.” I assure him. “That’s not until next year.”
“They say twins usually come early.” He argues.
“Yeah, a couple weeks. That means probably in January sometime. Still next year.”
“But what if something happens?” He asks, rubbing his fingers through my hair.
“If something happens, you get on the next plane out of wherever you are at the time, and meet me at the hospital.” I state.

He looks down at me, worry and fear in his eyes. I stretch up to kiss the pulse point on his neck and return to my spot on his chest.

“But nothing is going to happen for a little while.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I.M.C. and M.G.C.

Any guesses on the baby names?

I'll give you a hint- the C stands for Couturier :)

Like Charlie, I will only smile and ignore all guesses. But I'd love to see if anyone can get them right.

Comment!