Status: In Progress

One Heart With Two Owners

For whom the bell tolls

The concert was amazingly really good, even if Matt still ignored me or gave me one of his evil looks when he walked past me. I still had the good fortune that we were on the stage and that he really wanted to avoid a fight on stage. We just played the last notes when I suddenly heard a loud bang. As the fans started to scream in panic I had realized what actually just happened. I didn’t know exactly how, but Zacky suddenly lay bleeding on the floor. The music stopped and I also jumped off the stage to see if everything was ok.

As the stage was quite high and the soil very hard I hoped that he had no serious injuries from that fall. He seemed to be conscious and pressed one hand against the bleeding temple. Surprisingly the guitar was mostly undamaged as well. Except for a few scratches and a broken string everything was still ok.

“Doctor is on the way,” Joey, one of our securities, cried to me.

I knelt next to Zacky and looked at him compassionately. The stage wasn’t slippery, neither were any disturbing objects in your way. How had managed Zacky, who was not known to be clumsy, to fall off the stage?

“Is everything ok?”

He just nodded and looked at Johnny and Arin, who also came to the accident site. Matt was still on the stage, calmed the fans and tried to normalize the situation. It had its good side that he wasn’t here with us right now.
I was just kneeling there speechless, not knowing what to say and would have just wrapped my arms around him which he would decline. Well, it would have been really an inappropriate place.

“Can you please call Meaghan” he whispered to me before the paramedics took him outside.

Actually, I would have prefer to keep her out of the situation, but I couldn’t be that cruel to Zacky. After all he really loved her, from the bottom of his heart. And she had a right to know what had happened. So I didn’t want to wait any longer and went outside.
I went through the back door, because many fans took the main exit to leave the hall. Then I dialed her number and noticed a single tear running down my cheek. The first shock was gone and I finally could express the feelings that I had hold back.

“Meaghan” I asked in a low voice when I realized that someone had answered the phone.

“Yes on the phone” she said in her clear voice.

Apparently the party was still in full swing. In the background I could hear loud music and laughter.

“Zacky is in the hospital. There was a little accident on stage, but do not worry he is fine.”

Her reaction was more relaxed. She really didn’t seem to be sad or in shock like the usual reaction was when you got a phone call like this. Though I told her all the information in which hospital he was, in case she would change her mind and pay him a visit. Then I hung up and saw that Johnny had been quietly and secretly sneaked in.

“Fortunately, everything has turned out well” he said when I had put the phone back into my pocket.

“I’m very relieved and apologize again that I turn you down so often lately, but it’s just a little difficult at the moment.”

“No problem, but what has been actually the reason why you got suspended. Matt did not really want to talk about it. “

“Everything happened when we arrived Paris that morning. Let’s put it this way, Matt found a package of cocaine and I just covered Zacky’s ass. You know in what kind of mood Matt is in right now, so I really expected the worst to happen. And to be honest I really don’t want Zacky leaving the band.”

“You seem to care for Zacky a lot lately.”

I looked at him appalled. Have been my feelings for him obviously that everyone could read my mind?

“Any one would have done the same” I snorted and went quickly to the taxi stand.

Matt and Arin were already gone to the hospital and that is where I wanted to go now. I just wanted to avoid an embarrassing situation just before I perhaps said more than I wanted.

“Wait a minute …” Johnny shouted after me.

I couldn’t run away from it forever. Eventually I had to tell him about that one day. If there was anything left to say. My doubts got a bit bigger and I don’t know if everything would work out as I had in mind. After all, we had to represent an image and it wasn’t surely fitting that two band members were in a relationship. The reality was quite different compared to my own fantasy.

When I finally got a taxi I waited for Johnny that followed me without asking any more questions. We sat side by side, staring out the window and waited until it finally arrived.

“Johnny, can you please go to Arin? He’s waiting for you inside” Matt said quietly smoking his cigarette.

I knew this talk was going to happen but I really didn’t expected it now. I nodded to Johnny and went over to Matt.

“Hadn’t we agreed to something?”

His voice was quiet, no sign that he seemed to be angry. One hand was buried in his pocket and his eyes were focused on me.

“You really wanted that Zacky embarrasses himself in front of a huge crowd? Why? You know by yourself that it wouldn’t be only his image that wouldn’t be ruined by that stupid action. Basically it wouldn’t have brought you to anything.”

“I …” Matt began, but I interrupted him.

“No, you listen to me now. I don’t know what it’s your problem with him. He had never hurt you or done anything but you try to put all your strength to kick him out of the band. If there is a problem please do that like a grown up and talk to him. But listen to me Matt, if you ever hurt him again, no matter how, you’ve got a problem with me too.”

I was angry and just wanted to go in before Matt would continue the conversation.

“It’s about Meaghan.”

I turned around and just looked at him confused.

“What do you mean?”

“Do you really think it was pure coincidence that she joined our little group some time ago? Let’s just say that I was actually interested in her, but she did nothing else to use me to get closer to Zacky. He has been her destination from the very beginning.”

“And that’s why you make Zacky’s life to hell? You have Val, father of a great son and then you do something like this? Please do not let your anger out on others. For the record I never have seen Zacky so happy than just right now. He has been going through hell after his divorce and need someone to make him happy. So please don’t destroy that. I would be very grateful for that.”

Then I left him standing there and couldn’t understand his jealousy absolutely. Without knowing where Zacky was I walked down the hall and looked in every room until I had finally found it after looking for so long. A doctor was leaving the room, smiled at me briefly and then closed the door behind me.

“What did the doctor say?”

I took the chair and sat down next to his bed. He held out his hand and tenderly took my right hand.

“It’s a concussion and I have to stay here overnight just that the doctors can be sure I’m really fine. He told me how lucky I actually was. So don’t worry.”

“That’s a relief” I smiled and stroked his hand back with my thumb.

“I hope you could avoid all the stress with Matt.”

“Yeah of course. It’s all sorted out and if I get the situation right, then everything is back to normal. That means I’m back and you go anywhere either.”

Zacky really seemed to be overwhelmed by the news. Apparently so much that he pulled me down by the hand and kissed my lips. I was quite surprised about this, but did not hesitate to quit, but stopped when I suddenly heard someone coming into this room.