Status: New!

Love Never Felt So Good

31

Sidney took in a deep breath of Nova Scotia air, drank a gulp of his coffee, watched Zeus run around in the back yard before it turned into lakefront, and sat down on the deck. A week after his birthday and they decided to take a spontaneous weekend trip to his place up north. Bailey wasn’t missing any classes and he’d be able to get some fishing time in. He was even going to see if they could find a moose on a nature hike.

Speaking of his fiancé, he figured he should get back to her. He did, after all, owe her big time.

He grabbed the drink carrier from Tim Horton’s, the nectar of the Gods, and brought it upstairs along with a little box of donut holes. Bailey was still asleep when he poked his head into the master bedroom. He’d never get tired of seeing that ring on her finger.

“Baby.” He ran a hand down her bare shoulder. She turned, groaning in her sleep and curling up tighter around her pillow. “I brought coffee.” He kissed her skin, “and donuts.” He added. She peeped one eye open.

“Take a hike, Crosby.” She muttered, making him smile. He wasn’t sure he’d ever stop smiling – he was one happy Penguin.

“Come on, baby, I got hazelnut, just like you like, and glazed donut holes.” He added. “Let’s eat breakfast, take the boat out and go fishing. You can tan.” He kissed up her side between phrases.

“I don’t think I can walk.” She mumbled.

“I’ll carry you.” He gently, dragged the navy sheet down her body, “want me to kiss it better?” He asked, that same silly smile on his face.

“No.” She snapped. He set their breakfast on the nightstand, crawling into the bed and hauling her onto his chest. He rubbed his hands up and down her smooth back, sucking on her neck. Breakfast could wait.

“You don’t have to say you liked it.” He whispered into her ear, his hands wandering further down to the round of her ass, rubbing her cheeks with his wide palms. “I know you did.” He reached down, letting his fingers graze the wetness between her legs. She twitched on top of him. “I won’t tell anyone.” He finished.

“Can it, Sid.” She sighed, “and if you ever tell anyone, I’m going to tell Dan Potash about your Indiana Jones role play fantasy.” She threatened, making him gulp. “And wipe that stupid smile off of your face.” She opened her eyes.

“I can’t.” He sighed happily. “You’re the best wifey ever.” He kissed her neck again.

“Not your wife yet.” She reminded, snuggling into his chest. “I’m going to take a shower.” She began, “and no, you can’t come.” She said, sitting up, reaching to the nightstand and taking a long drink of her hazelnut coffee.

“But I wanna come.” He whined.

“You owe me a shower alone, Crosby.” She said pointedly. “And maybe another diamond.” She leaned down, pecking his lips, making him laugh.

“Yeah, yeah.” He rolled his eyes. “Go shower, I want to get on the boat today.” He patted her butt. She rolled out of bed, once again, taking the duvet with her and head into the bathroom. Sidney prepped the dogs, getting Belle’s floatie around her middle and grabbing two coolers, one with drinks and food and the other with bait and tackle box. He had gotten Bailey her own pole the previous day, green and purple for her favorite colors.

“There she is.” He smiled as she appeared from downstairs, dressed in her swimsuit and a cover-up romper with a big floppy hat and a tote bag.

“I’m ready to fish.” She said, a box of donut holes under her arm and a big coffee in hand. “I want to catch a huge monster and send a photo to my Dad, he’ll be so jealous.” She grinned. She walked up to him, placing a kiss on his cheek. “Ready?”

“Yes,” he smiled that same smile he’d had on his face all night and morning. She narrowed her eyes at him.

“If you keep looking like me at that, everyone is going to know.” She said.

“Well good thing we’re going out on the boat alone.” He countered, kissing her again. “I got the coolers, you get the pups?” He offered. Soon the whole Crosby family was out on Sidney’s pride and joy, his boat. Zeus stood excitedly on the bow, letting his ears flap and biting the wind. Belle slept under the captain’s seat until they finally anchored out in Sidney’s sweet spot on Bisset Lake. “Bait your hook?” He asked, holding up the Styrofoam bucket holding up his night crawlers. He had a separate little bucket that was tied to the boat, floating in the water with minnows for bigger catches. She shook her head, pulling her romper down and settling into the co-captain’s chair, she crossed her legs under herself and went to town on her donut holes.

“Let me eat some of these quick and I’ll grab my pole from you.” She smiled, stuffing her face with the breakfast treat. Sidney smiled, shaking his head as he baited up both of their poles, resting them against their grooves until they wanted to take hold.

“What do you want to do for dinner tonight, Sid?” She asked, draining her coffee and finally feeling ready for the day.

“Let’s go into town and get something,” he suggested, “I don’t want to buy groceries and have them go unused and then sit here until the next time we come out.” He justified.

She crawled over from her seat to his lap, “you’re going to take me out for a night on the town?” She bat her eyelashes, making him laugh.

“Nothing but the best for you, baby.”

- - -

There wasn’t exactly an exciting nightlife in the small town where Sidney’s lake house sat far back from the road, up against the lake. There was, however, a little dive that looked like a big cabin with a bar and decent grilled fish and burgers. That, and no one even blinked twice with Sidney Crosby walked in with his fiancé, Bailey Bradford.

Bailey had dressed accordingly for their evening out, donning a pair of denim shorts, a red and white flannel button-down, her hair in milkmaid braids and red lips, as always. She squeezed his side with her hand, glancing over to the bar that was fairly empty for a Saturday night.

“Come pick me up.” She winked, leaving him at the door and wandering over to the bar and perching herself a bar stool. Sidney shook his head with a smile, watching, as the bartender was all too happy to serve her. It took moments for a light beer to appear on the bar in front of her.

She watched from the corner of her eye as he ran a hand through his hair, which had gotten a little long in the summer, and checked his breath, breathing quickly into his palm, making her giggle.

He took his time walking over to the bar, looking very handsome and coming towards her with that confidence, she was sure that there wasn’t a pair of dry panties in the house.

He leaned up agains the bar next to her, a little smile on his face as he flicked his eyes down her body and back up to meet hers.

“I’m Sidney Crosby.” He smiled, debonair. Bailey burst into laughter as she slapped his chest.

“That’s your best pick up line?!” She asked with a howl.

“Hey, it worked when I was eighteen!” Sidney insisted.

“No, no, no. Go back and really try.” She pushed at his shoulder in the direction of the door again. Sidney rolled his eyes, walking back to the door nonetheless. He watched for a moment as she unbuttoned another button on her top, revealing her bronzed cleavage, fixing her lipstick and taking a drink of her beer. Sidney walked over again, this time, taking a seat next to her at the bar.

“What are you drinking?” He asked, giving her that wholesome aw-shucks smile.

“Beehive.” She replied, “I like ’em kind of sweet.” She winked.

“That makes sense b-because, you’re really sweet… looking.” Sidney squinted as he treid his best to be suave.

“Oh you’re so wicked with your words, take me now!” She giggled, throwing herself onto him.

“I tried! I’m not smooth!” He frowned.

“You’re perfect.” She laughed, kissing his cheek. “I’m going to run to the ladies room, save my seat.” She said, kissing his cheek again before hopping off of the stool and walking towards the neon restroom sign.

Five minutes later, when she emerged, the hairs on the back of her neck stood as she saw a little brunette attempting to chat up her fiancé at the bar, a hand on his shoulder. She walked over, immediately sliding one hand behind him to his back and resting one on his chest, effectively deflecting the brunette’s contact with her fiancé.

“Back, babe.” She smiled. “Who’s your friend?” She gave the brunette a beaming smile, showing off her dimples.

“This is Anna, she was just saying how we went to the same middle school.” Sidney offered.

“Small world, right?” Bailey asked, patting Sidney’s stomach once or twice, showing off the diamond on her ring finger.

“So small!” The brunette agreed, eyeing the ring wearily.

“You hungry, Sid?” Bailey asked, looking up at Sidney.

“Starved.” He nodded.

“Sure I can’t buy you a beer?” Anna asked, looking directly at the Penguins captain. “You look thirsty.” She practically purred.

“Sorry, no alcohol this close to training. Nice to meet you, though.” He shook her hand, turning and wrapping his arm around Bailey’s shoulders. “Let’s see if we can’t find a table, huh?” Sidney turned his back on the brunette, walking through the restaurant to find a booth near the back. Bailey had no hesitation in sitting down right beside him.

“If she was going to put her hand on you again, I was ready to cut it off.” She mumbled. “Why is that okay? Just waltzing up and touching a complete stranger.” She frowned.

“Not a complete stranger, didn’t you hear? We went to the same middle school.” Sidney justified, feigning defense before breaking into a smile.

“Not funny.” She narrowed her eyes at him. “And with her boobs pushed up under her neck, if she started running, she’d take her eye out.” She insisted. Sidney grinned.

“You’re cute when you’re jealous.” He replied.

“I already claimed this land.” She patted his thigh, “other women need permission from me to touch you.” She added, making him laugh.

“Her boobs looked ridiculous.” He pointed out.

“Not cute.” She shook her head.

They each ordered burgers, beef for Bailey and turkey for Sidney. They both watched as a little family entered, pulling up two booster seats for their toddlers, a boy and a girl who looked like spitting images of their parents.

“Baby.” She tugged on his sleeve, noticing that the little boy was wearing a tiny Pittsburgh Penguins t-shirt.

“I see.” He nodded, “we’ll stop by when we’re on our way out.” He insisted. Bailey kept a hand on his knee as they enjoyed their dinner, though she couldn’t help but notice Sidney’s eyes drift over to the children time and time again throughout the evening.

When they paid their bill, Sidney handed over a hundred dollar bill to their server.

“Put this towards their dinner and keep the rest.” He explained, nodding over to the young family’s table. The server smiled and assured Sidney he would be discreet. They approached the table when they were about ready to leave the restaurant.

“Hi, I hope I’m not interrupting, I just wanted to say hello to a fan.” Sidney smiled.

“Oh my gosh, hi!” the wife and mother greeted excitedly. She and her husband quickly introduced themselves to Bailey and Sidney as Tim and Jenny.

“Do you mind?” Sidney asked, motioning down to the little boy.

“Please do!” Jenny insisted. Their son, Riley, looked up at Sidney curiously as the Penguins captain picked him up from the booster seat.

“They’re darling.” Bailey smiled.

“Can we take a photo?” Jenny asked.

“No problem.” Sidney insisted, settling the little boy on his hip. Riley gummed at a piece of fruit in his fist, looking up at Sidney with big, imploring eyes. “Nice shirt, guy.” Smiled at the two-year-old. “Yeah, you look like you’re going to be a hockey player. Big appetite is important.” He advised, making the father laugh as his wife snapped photo after photo on her iPhone.

They bid them their best and left the restaurant, Sidney still grinning from the cute kid with the blue eyes.

They were quiet their ride home and after letting the dogs out into the yard, cozied up together on the hammock in the backyard with several soft throw blankets.

“You want to be a Dad, huh?” She asked, perching her chin on his chest as she looked up at him, his arms folded behind his head as he relaxed.

“I’ve always wanted to be a Dad.” He confirmed.

“You’re ready to be a Dad soon, though.” She replied.

“I’d like to have kids soon.” He nodded. “I don’t know, I just feel like I’m so far behind my friends and teammates who are all married and have a kid or two by now. I’ve always wanted to be a Dad, and now, when I see my friends with their own kids, I can feel it tugging at me.” He tried to explain what he was feeling.

“You’re not behind, baby.” She insisted. “Everyone goes their own pace.” She justified.

“I want to be a young Dad, I don’t want to be so old that when they start skating, I can’t lace ‘em up and get out there with them, or be too old to do fun things like camping and travelling.” He added.

“You won’t baby, I promise.” She assured. “I won’t let it happen.” She kissed the little space of skin between the collar of his shirt and his neck. “We’re going to have great kids."
♠ ♠ ♠
she took one for the team, guys.
wish me luck, big interview today :)
comment if you're liking the story!
xo