Status: In the works!

Between Two Cities

Chapter 7

DALLAS TEXAS

“She hasn’t called since she left I’m starting to get worried.” Jamie said taking a sip of his beer. Him, his brother Jordie, Rich Peverley, and Sergei Gonchar were all sitting out on his deck at his home. Millie had been gone in Boston for a few days now and Jamie hasn’t heard anything from her.

“Relax man, she’s probably enjoying her break from all the drama down here.” Jordie said.

“I’m gonna kill that fucking kid.” Jamie said referring to Tyler. Rich stepped into the conversation.

“Guys, I have to tell you something about Tyler.” He said. Rich took a sip of his beer then sighed.

“Tyler isn’t usually like this. He’s hurting really bad. It’s no secret that the huge loss against the Hawks is the trigger to his pain but he’s not showing it. Instead of showing pain, he turns arrogant and he parties to get his mind off of everything. We need to wait for him to finally let it out. It’s going to take time and patience but I assure you being a douchebag back to him is just going to make it worse and he won’t smarten up. Just give him as much space and help him out as much as you can.”

“Rich that’s a good reason but he drove my girlfriend out of town… Out of the state! That’s not okay with me.” Jamie answered to Rich.

“And that’s a perfectly good reason to get angry with him. But I assure you, the more you drive him the quicker he’ll finally let go of the past and focus on the future. He’s a great kid with great potential. He’ll be okay. It’ll be rough between him and Millie but I’m sure they’ll eventually become good friends. It takes time. I’ve been in the NHL for years, I know how it feels.”

“Well Rich I think you deserve another beer after that heartfelt speech.” Jordie said. All the guys laughed except for Jamie. He was just sitting there, thinking. He missed his girlfriend so much and wanted nothing more than for her to be in his arms again. So he decided that he would be catching the next flight to Boston to surprise her. He got up and walked to his room and began to pack some clothes and his electronics. He grabbed his phone to book his ticket but saw that he had a text from Millie. Jamie immediately smiled and opened it but got worried as he noticed that the message was long.

Jamie,
I’m sorry I never got in touch with you. I’ve been thinking a lot and visiting with Loui and his team and it’s been hectic. My trust for my brother though has changed for the worst and I think I need some more time to myself. I’m leaving Boston and going to wherever my plane takes me. Please don’t try to look for me. I promise I’ll be back in your arms soon and I will come home. I just need time to think and be alone.
I love you with all of my heart, Jamie.
Millie.

Jamie couldn’t believe what he just read. Millie’s older brother, her best friend, her partner in crime had done something to her. Now all Jamie wanted to do was go to Boston. He packed everything up and booked the next flight out of Texas to Boston. Luckily there was an opening for a flight that was to take off in 4 hours.

The youngster grabbed his bag and headed out the door without even saying anything to Jordie or the rest of the guys. Jamie got into his car and drove to the airport.

BOSTON MASSACHUSSETTS (2 HOURS EARLIER)

Millie POV

I just sat in the seat in complete silence. I couldn’t believe Loui was hiding a job offer from me. My own brother was hiding a job offer from me. I took the letters and kept reading them over and over again. I shook my head and wiped away some of the tears rolling from my eyes. A few seconds later I heard footsteps coming toward me. I looked up and saw Shawn looking at me.

“Are you okay?” Shawn asked. I took a deep breath and shut my eyes. I heard the fold up seat open next to me and I opened my eyes. Shawn was sitting next to me and he laid his hand on my back and started rubbing it.

“Hey I thought you said the wallet was in the locker….” I heard Loui say as he ran in. I glared at him. I was so angry at him. Out of all people to hurt me it had to be him. I got up and brought the two papers up to his face.

“What the hell is this, Loui?” I asked him with attitude. Loui was silent for a few seconds. He sighed and tried to explain everything but I cut him off.

“Why would you do this to me!? What the fuck were you thinking?! I came up here to spend time with you to get away from all the bullshit going on down in Dallas and I find out that you’ve been hiding a job offer from me?! And you forged my signature in the rejection letter?!”

“Millie I can explain…” Loui said.

“No. I don’t want an explanation. It’s plain and simple, Loui. You don’t want me working here. You could have at least told me about this and we could have talked about it. I’m outta here.” I said walking past Loui shoving him over.

“MILLIE ELEONORA ERIKSSON STOP.” Loui yelled at me. He’d never yelled at me this badly before. When I was fourteen he yelled at me for going off with some boy he didn’t like. I agreed with him after three weeks of arguing and stopped seeing the kid. Now though, I wasn’t going to follow his rules. I stopped dead in my tracks and didn’t even turn around.

“You haven’t yelled at me like that since I was fourteen.” I said quietly.

“I was a little girl then, Loui. I’m a big girl now.” I continued then I turned around slowly and glared at him.

“FUCK YOU.” I yelled then walked out of the arena seating area more livid than ever. It hurt a little inside for saying something so terrible to my own brother but I couldn’t help it. I was so angry with him.

I walked outside of the TD Garden in tears. This was one of those moments where I wanted to be in Jamie’s arms so badly so he could tell me everything was okay. Nothing was going to be okay though. I took my phone out and looked at my airport app hoping that there’d be flights going somewhere interesting. I saw that there was a one way flight to Chicago Illinois.

Chicago was home of the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions Chicago Blackhawks. It was a large and beautiful city filled with energetic people. Something that I really needed. I pressed the “Book Tickets Now” button and decided staying in Chicago for a few nights would help me out a lot. I booked my flight and booked my hotel rooms then decided to text a good friend of mine Patrick Kane.

“PattyK! I’m headed to Chicago for a couple nights. My plane takes off at four. Can you come get me at the airport when I land? –Millie.” I pressed the send button and then hailed a taxi and went to my hotel.

When I got back to my hotel I saw that Patrick had replied to me.

“Mills!! Of course I can! I’ll let Tazer and them know you’re coming. Let’s go out for dinner or something! Just gotta let you know though that we have training camp going on still so tomorrow we’ll be busy till about two. Can’t wait to see ya! Have a safe flight. –PattyK.” I smiled after seeing this and felt a lot better. Patrick and I had known eachother for almost ten years. We met in Buffalo at a Basketball game and just became best friends.

After packing up my things, checking out, and hailing a cab again, I arrived at the Boston/Logan Airport and headed inside. After I went through my baggage check and drop-off, I sat down and waited for boarding. I decided to text Jamie and tell him I was going to be gone longer than planned.

Jamie,
I’m sorry I never got in touch with you. I’ve been thinking a lot and visiting with Loui and his team and it’s been hectic. My trust for my brother though has changed for the worst and I think I need some more time to myself. I’m leaving Boston and going to wherever my plane takes me. Please don’t try to look for me. I promise I’ll be back in your arms soon and I will come home. I just need time to think and be alone.
I love you with all of my heart, Jamie.
Millie.

“Ladies and gentleman Flight 18 one-way to Chicago is now boarding.” I heard the attendant say over the speaker. I sent the text message and boarded my plane. Goodbye Boston, hello Chicago.