‹ Prequel: Family Affair

Tragic Affair

Tragic Affair

“And Slayton,” I nodded as we both stood up, Zacky pulling me into a kiss.

“I love you,” He said softly and he grabbed my hand as we walked to the car.

"I love you too," I whispered.

"Aunt Cory!" Avery whimpered as she ran into my arms, Elliot was sitting in Brian's lap crying into his shoulder, Slayton was beside Kayci on her shoulder, Rylynn ran up to Zacky as we walked in. Matt was in the corner staring into space.

"Hey baby," I whispered. “How are you?”

“Bad,” She mumbled as Zacky reached over and pushed some hair out of her face.

“It’ll be okay,” I kissed her forehead. “I promise.”

“I hope so,” She squeezed my waist.

"How's Elliot," I whispered as I sat down and let her crawl into my lap.

"She's the worse," she whispered softly. "She keeps saying she should have done something."

"She didn't know baby, she couldn't have. You're momma's heart was poor, she knew it when she was little, she was born like that. She's was happy she got to have all her kids and see them grow up this big, she was happy."

"I miss her," she started crying.

“We all do,” I nodded and rubbed her back. “We all do…”

"I know," she whispered.

"Why," I heard Zacky whisper as he held Rylynn close to his heart, her eyes red and blotchy but she didn't care. "Why her."

“I-I-“ I stuttered. “I don’t know.”

“This isn’t fair!” Warren growled, punching the wall.

“Warren!” I barked. “Calm down! Get Ana.”

“Yes, mom,” He nodded and picked up the baby.

"Thank you," I whispered as I ran my hand through Avery's hair. "Matt?"

"What?" he glanced up completely out of it.

"Sing for them," I whispered.

"I can't," his lip quivered.

“Please,” I begged. “Do it for them. Do it for me.”

“Cory-“

“Please, Matt,” My eyes welled up. “That’s all I ask is that you sing.”

"I don't think I can," he whispered.

"Try," I whispered back, he nodded slowly as Avery left my lap to go sit on Matt's, who held her close to his chest. “I’ll sing, too.”

“Cory-“

“Matt,” I looked at him with pleading eyes.

"Alright," he whispered as he started up Dear God, his eyes tearing up more and more until tears began to fall down his face.

"Dear God," I whispered as I glanced up at the ceiling. “The only thing I ask of you…”

“Is to hold her when I’m not around, when I’m much too far away.”

“We all need that person who will be true to you…”

"It was made for her," Rylynn whispered staring at the ceiling. "Like now."

"She was a very special woman you're mother," Zacky whispered as Matt and I continued.

"But I left her when I found her and now I wish I'd stayed," I sang. “Cause I’m lonely-“

“And I’m tired-“

“And I’m missing you again, once again…” I let the tears escape my eyes as I dropped to the ground and sobbed.

"I can't hear anymore," Brian stood up holding Elliot bridal style and walked outside, his eyes were filled with tears.

"Daddy," Elliot cried as they walked out the door.

“This is…” I looked around. “Unreal.”

"It’s a tragic affair," Zacky whispered. "Very tragic."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Comment