Status: Updated at least once a week but probably more 'cause I have no friends

Stay With Me

Chapter 4

OLI’S POV:

Josh and I had started talking more and more in this past week. We always walked together to the classes we had together and we’d always sit together at lunch. I didn’t know why though, I wasn’t a very interesting person. We had a lot of bands in common though and we saw things in the same way. He would sometimes notice new bruises on my face but he never asked. I liked that about him. He didn’t try to dig my secrets out of me like other people had.

He had asked me to come over to his house with him today after school. I had told him I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea but he had insisted and it wasn’t long until I had given in.

I was now sitting at the back of the last class of the day, waiting for the bell to ring so I could meet up with Josh. He would probably be the one waiting at my locker since his class would end 10 minutes before mine.

I told my mom about Josh a couple of days ago and she was happy I had finally made a friend. I didn’t tell my dad and you probably know why. He would hit me and say I didn’t have time for shit like that. He’d hit me if I had friends but if I didn’t have friends he’d hit me ‘cause I didn’t have friends. He always tried to come up with some sort of excuse for coloring my body in purple bruises.

I sighed in relief when the bell rang and everyone flew out of their chairs, trying to get out of the classroom as soon as possible. I was the last on out as always.

Josh was standing at my locker as I thought. He smiled lightly and waved when he saw me.

“Hello Josh” I shyly said. He moved so I could open my locker and throw my bags in.

“Are you still up for spending some time with me?” he asked.

“Of course” I said while closing my locker and turning to him. “Ready to go?” I asked smiling.

Maybe I seemed a little too excited, I hope it wouldn’t freak him out. I haven’t really had any friends before.

We spent hours at Josh’s house watching playing video games and watching horror movies. Every time a bloody or brutal scene came up I would cover my eyes with my hands while carefully peeking through my fingers and Josh would laugh at me and tell me I was acting childish. I would just stick my tongue out at him and smile.

Since his mother was still at work and neither Josh or I was good at cooking we ordered pizza. It felt good to actually be able to eat the times I was supposed to instead of having to eat some of the cold leftovers late at night.

As it started to get dark out I told Josh I needed to go home but he insisted I’d stayed the night. I couldn’t get in any more trouble than I probably already was so I just thought why the hell not.

He slept on the mattress on the floor while I slept in his bed. I tried to force him to let me sleep on the mattress ‘cause I didn’t want it to be uncomfortable for him but he ended up sleeping on it anyway.

I walked through the door, into the place I was supposed to call a home. My dad was sitting there on the stairs looking at me, blood dripping from a knife that he held. I froze in horror as his bloodshot wide-open eyes met mine. He was staring at me with rage in his eyes. I stumbled a step back as he suddenly flew up from where he sat and took a step towards me.

“You did this!” he yelled, raising the knife. I stumbled backwards until my back hit the door. He was going to kill me. After all this pain he had put me through he was finally going to end it all. I close my eyes, preparing myself for the bloody knife digging into my chest but there was nothing. I opened my eyes. He was gone. Instead I saw my mother’s dead body lying at the top of the stairs, her eyes wide open staring at me.

I flew up in a sitting position in the bed, breathing heavily. It felt like my heart was about to beat out of my chest. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down, telling myself it was all just a dream but no matter how much I told myself that I could still feel tears making their way down my cheeks knowing this would probably happen one day. I would lose my mother to that monster and then it would be my turn to die. He was probably beating her now ‘cause I didn’t come home. He was probably beating her and it was my fault. I pulled my knees up to my chest and put my arms around them before burying my head in my arms, crying softly.

“Are you okay?” I heard a groggy voice whisper. I bit my lip, trying not to make a sound so that he would maybe think I was asleep. He wouldn’t be able to tell I was sitting up because of how dark it was.

I heard him get up from the mattress and sitting down on the bed, next to me. He reached out in the dark with his hand and rubbed my back while I carried on with my sobbing.

“What’s wrong?” he asked after a couple of minutes with worry in his voice.

“Bad dream” I said, my voice cracking.

He surprised me by leaning in and hugging me tightly against his chest, telling me it was okay.

“Do you want me to sleep next to you for the rest of the night?” he asked kindly “so that you’ll uh feel safe and stuff”

“Yeah, I said sniffing.

He crawled under the cover and we both laid down close together. He put and arm around me and I could feel him breathing against my shoulder. It calmed me down and I was soon asleep again.