Status: Updated at least once a week but probably more 'cause I have no friends

Stay With Me

Chapter 5

OLI’S POV:
“Josh who the fuck is this?!”
My eyelids flew open to the sound of the loud voice of a woman. I turned my head to the direction of the voice and met two cold eyes. I quickly turned my head away and sat up next to Josh.
“Mom, I can explain. It’s not what it looks like“ Josh said, trying to calm the woman down.
“Then what it is?!” she yelled back, rage painted on her face. I found myself looking again when she turned her head to me. I quickly let my eyes wander to Josh who was sitting next to me, his hair was literally everywhere but I couldn’t say I didn’t like it.
“This is Oli, he’s just a friend” Josh said calm, looking over at me for a second and letting our eyes meet.
“Then why were you all cuddled up and hugging each other?” She asked, a little calmer this time.
I blushed as I remembered Josh wrapping an arm around me and laying close last night. It had felt nice to have a worm body next to mine.
“He had a nightmare. That’s all” Josh said and the woman seemed a lot calmer.
“Oh okay” she said and nodded in my direction and said “It’s nice to meet you Oli” before walking out of the room and closing the door behind her.
I heard Josh sigh so I turned my head to him. He was combing through his messy hair with his fingers while looking at me with his pretty eyes.
“That was my mom” he said awkwardly “I should’ve woken you up a little milder so I’m sorry about that. It can’t be very comfortable waking up to yelling” He gave me a apologizing smile.
“It’s ok, I’m used to it” I said, not thinking of what came out of my mouth at the moment.
Josh facial expression changed to confusion and I quickly turned my head away.
“What do you mean?” he asked.
“Nothing” I mumbled while combing through my hair with my fingers, like Josh had done earlier, trying to look busy. I probably looked like a mess anyway.
“Do your parents fight a lot?” He asked while turning his head to the side a little, trying to look at my face that was covered by the dark hair I was combing through.
I didn’t wanna lie to him since he was the first friend I’ve ever had but I didn’t wanna tell him the truth either. I couldn’t tell him the truth. He wouldn’t wanna stick around with me anymore if he knew.
“You don’t have to talk about it” he said as a couple of minutes in silence had passed.

I didn’t see Josh much that day since we didn’t have any classes together but we sat together at lunch and after school he was waiting at my locker. He questioned the fresh bruises on my face and I avoided the truth and told him I fell but really I got beat up in the hallway while it was empty.
We spent some time chatting before I told him I had to go since I couldn’t delay going home forever. We said our goodbyes and headed different directions. I wish I could walk home with Josh again, order pizza and spend another night next to him. I wanted to relive yesterday all over again even though I knew I couldn’t.
On the way home I saw the same old white houses as always with the perfect families living in them. Why did I have to be the one with the broken family? What did I ever do to deserve this? I wish I could’ve stayed with Josh forever and be a part of his family. He had never mentioned a dad but it didn’t seem like a problem. His mother was getting paid well enough for them to live off and Josh didn’t seem unhappy to not have a dad.
It didn’t take me long before I was walking through the door of my home. And it didn’t take long for my dad to appear, shoving me against the door I just closed.
“Where the fuck have you been?” He yelled, the smell of alcohol hitting my face. I swallowed and looked away from his piercing eyes, noticing my mother watching us from a chair by the table in the kitchen. She turned her head away from me when our eyes met. She didn’t do anything to help me, she never did. She only came afterwards to clean and bandage up my wounds. If I was lucky she’d hug me and tell me that she loved me and she was sorry.
“Fucking look at me” dad yelled at me. The hard punch against my head that came when I didn’t follow his command had me seeing stars but I quickly snapped out of it and looked at him, ready for what was about to come.