Wildfire

Thirty-Three Minutes

“Hey, man. What’s on your mind?”

Reid’s head snapped up at the sound of Morgan’s voice. It seemed unusually loud in the quiet space of the jet.

“You’ve been staring at your phone screen for the past twenty minutes.”

Normally Morgan would have joked or laughed, or even said that sarcastically, but no. His voice was even and serious, dark eyes fixated squarely on Reid.

“Oh. I’m just ready to be home, I guess. It’s been a while,” Reid finally replied.

“Spencer, we were only in Florida for three days. Why do you really want to get home?”

Reid glanced back down at the time, at his notifications. Still no new messages.

“Listen, we all know something has been going on for the past few months. And I thought maybe you had met a woman that was messing you up, but the rest of the team told me to leave it alone. To not get involved. They said if you had a problem you’d let us know if you needed help. But I’m worried about you.”

Thirty-seven minutes. Thirty-seven minutes and they’d be landing in Virginia. Reid’s right leg started to bounce up and down anxiously.

“I don’t want to pry into your life, but I’m here if you need me.”

With those last words, Morgan got up and joined the rest of the team on the other side of the jet. It wasn’t that Reid didn’t appreciate the thought, because he did, but there was nothing wrong. He was fine and everything else would be fine once they landed. Thirty-six minutes. Reid checked his phone again for what felt like the millionth time since they had boarded the plane and still nothing. He had texted Jasmine as soon as they left Florida and she had yet to respond. He didn’t know if he should be worried or angry.

Either way, his leg started bouncing even faster and the grip on his phone was a little bit tighter with every passing minute.

But he was fine, and everything else would be fine as soon as they landed. Thirty-three minutes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the wait.
Enjoy this short, lame little update.

-Beki