Canon

twenty five.

‘What the hell is wrong with you?!’ Niall growls at his older brother walking towards the sofa, his jaw clenched and fists bawled. ‘I told you that I didn’t want any of your junkie buddies in the fucking apartment!’

The girl stands beside Greg nervously biting her fingernails glancing up at him with worried eyes. She was dressed in an old, holey Guns-N-Roses tee shirt with dark jeans ripped at the knee. Her classic white converse had swirls over sharpie on them. Her hair was a faded lavender color, which worked perfectly for her. I had to say it: she was really pretty.

‘She’s not a junkie,’ Greg defends shaking his head defensively, ‘this is my girl: Denise.’

Niall just simply glares angrily at his brother as if he was going to jump on him any minute. Part of me waiting for it to happen but Niall rocks back and forth on the heel of his sneakers.

‘It’s nice to meet you, Denise.’ I decide to speak since Niall didn’t, ‘I’m Lizette.’

‘Lovely to meet you Lizette.’ Her clammy hand is wrapped around mine.

‘Don’t be rude.’ I whisper to Niall giving him a small nudge towards the new guest.

‘I really hope that we aren’t intruding.’ Denise chimes glancing over at Niall.

‘Actually, I was just about to leave so I’ll see you guys later.’ I reply heading towards the door when Niall catches my wrist.

‘Don’t go.’ He mutters holding me next to him, ‘we were gonna order a few pizzas if you guys wanted to hang out for awhile.’

I knew this was Niall’s attempt in getting me to stay over with him while Greg and Denise occupied his apartment. I had to give it to him though: he was trying.

‘Hell yeah we would!’ Greg cheers already flopping back down onto the sofa, ‘I’ll order one of these movies on TV while we wait.’

‘Are you staying Lizette?’ Denise wonders taking a seat beside Greg.

Niall looks on anxiously as did Denise while waiting for me to answer. I purse my lips taking out my phone to check the time. With a low sigh I nod sitting down in the empty love seat and Niall follows.

‘One slice.’ I murmur to him placing my eyes on the screen.

‘One slice.’ Niall agrees squeezing in next to me with an on growing grin.

‘You know you’re not forgiven, right?’

‘I know.’

‘Good.’

‘How long are you going to be pissed at me?’

‘I haven’t decided yet.’

‘Can I just talk to you in the room for a second?’

I slide from the chair and go back to Niall’s room, sitting on the edge of his bed. He sits down after closing the door carefully behind him. I wait patiently for him to speak up and say anything but he doesn’t.

‘I thought you were into this.’

‘I thought I was too.’

‘I care about you a lot. More than I’ve cared about anyone in a long time and it scares the shit out of me. I’m just not into the whole dating, labeling thing. I don’t like feeling like anyone’s property. I never had a girlfriend but then again I never wanted one.’

‘That’s not what bothered me, honestly. It was more me feeling like I was good enough for you to almost have sex with but not good enough for people to think we’re in a relationship. Part of me felt like you didn’t want me to your girlfriend rather than having a girlfriend in general. Does that make sense?’

‘None.’ He stiffs out a small laugh.

‘Just forget it,’ I frown getting up from the bed, ‘I should go.’

‘You’re not leaving.’ He pulls me down to kiss my forehead, ‘I’m only joking.’

‘I’m so glad that I could amuse you.’

‘Don’t be mad at me, I’ll stop.’ He promises holding me on his lap, ‘How about this? Are you happy with me?’

‘Yes. I am.’

‘So let’s just let this be what it is, all right?’

‘What does that mean Niall?’

‘You know, Lizette.’ He rests his head on my back, ‘I’m not going to see other people and I assume you won’t either. We don’t have to define what this is for other people because we know. This is just how I feel comfortable.’

‘Okay.’

‘And I don’t want you to be mad at me. You have to know that I’m not in this just for sex- although we never finished our conversation earlier.’ He pauses to run a hand up my back, ‘I was into you before that even crossed my mind. Do you think I’d go through that shit with your dad just to get in your pants? Not in a million fucking years. I don’t know – I just like having you around.’

‘I like having you around.’ I repeat with a small smile turning his grasp to face him.

‘Pizza’s here!’ Greg shouts from the other side of the door.

‘Come on.’ He leans up kissing my cheek, ‘before this asshole eats all the pizza up.’

‘Be nice.’

‘Yeah, yeah, yeah.’ He groans pulling me out down the hall.

Niall and I file into the living room and plop down into the loveseat with one of the pizzas resting on my lap. Niall devours half of the pizza before I had a chance to blink. Halfway into the third movie Niall was snoring lightly behind me. I smile admiring his sleeping state. I slide off of his lap to get ready to go home. He shifts over in the chair uncomfortably sensing my absence.

‘What are you doing?’ he mutters, eyes half closed.

‘I have to go.’ I reply bending down to kiss his lips, ‘curfew.’

‘I’ll walk you out.’ he yawns, not moving. ‘Give me a second.’

‘No, it’s fine. I’ll just see you tomorrow. Goodnight.’ I sneak in one more kiss, this time he meets me halfway.

‘Be careful.’

‘Okay dad.’ I taunt playfully stepping over Greg’s legs.

‘You won’t be joking for long.’ Niall calls tiredly as I slip out of the door.



I make it home with time to spare and immediately collapse into bed after changing into Niall’s white tee shirt. The next morning I shower and get changed for the day.

‘Good morning.’ My dad calls holding Elijah in his arms.

‘Morning, dad.’ I respond sitting down at the table in front of fresh pancakes. ‘Smells delicious.’

‘Yeah, giving your mom a break today.’

‘That’s thoughtful of you.’

‘Doing what I can to help out. Do you have any plans today?’

‘Yes, actually.’

‘With?’

‘Not with Niall, if that’s what you’re getting at.’

‘Hey, your words.’

‘You have nothing to worry about dad.’

‘That’s the way I like it.’



Later that Sunday afternoon I drove myself to Niall’s apartment, to find him sitting all by himself in the living room. The remote was wrapped firmly in his grasp as he stared at some game on TV.

‘What’s this?’

‘The Rams are playing.’ He gestures not taking his eyes off of the screen, ‘Are at least trying to. We’re getting brutalized out there.’

‘Can I watch with you?’

‘Knock yourself out.’ he nods moving over in the loveseat, ‘You look good today by the way.’

‘Thanks. Where’s Greg?’

‘Out with his whatever she is to him.’

‘I believe she’s his girlfriend. Where’d they go?’

‘Don’t know and don’t care.’

‘So is this what you’re planning on doing all day long?’

‘Yep. Would you like to do this with me all day?’

‘I would.’ I agree snuggling under his arm to look at the TV, ‘Did you do the Trig homework yet?’

‘Did it on Friday. You haven’t done yours, have you?’ he questions with an evident grin on his face.

‘Some of it!’ I defend with a laugh, ‘Those last six problems are hell on earth.’

‘I’ll help you before you go, alright?’

‘Alright.’

After Niall’s outburst over the Rams losing today’s game we decided to go somewhere other than McDonalds for lunch. We finally agreed on going to the diner near the school where everyone went. Niall complains about parking as he circles around the parking lot. He finally finds a suitable space before getting out and locking his car twice.

‘This better be worth it.’ He places a hand on my hip leading me into the building, ‘for all this shit.’

‘Is everything shit to you?’

‘Pretty much.’ He laughs walking up to the counter, ‘What are you getting?’

‘Their burgers are incredible.’

‘We’ll see. If it doesn’t live up to your hype we’re going to McDonalds everyday for a week. No complaints.’

‘No complaints.’ I repeat sliding into the first empty booth I saw.

Niall orders our food then pays for it before sitting across from me in the booth. Our waitress brings out our shake after a few moments then tells us our burgers would be out soon.

‘Mm. Chocolate.’ I bring one of the straws to my lips.

‘I guess it’s not that bad.’ Niall couldn’t hold back his tiny grin as he leans back in his seat.

‘You like it.’

‘Is it always this crowded?’

‘On the weekends, yes.’ I look around at several familiar faces from school, ‘But you’ll love it.’

‘You keep telling me that. I’m getting anxious.’

The glass door swings open causing the bell to chime. I stare ahead waiting to see who would be coming through the door next. And of course it had to be Louis – wait, and John. With a flock of guys in holey jeans and tattered Vans. Those girls Caroline and Stacy were right behind them. Louis and I make eye contact and before I could look away he was shooting me a devilish grin.

Great.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N:

I just wanted to say that this fanfic does not accurately portray the Horan's who I'm sure are a great family and I have the highest level of respect for Greg, Niall, and Denise, and any other member of the Horan clan that will be mentioned in the story- felt like that needed to be said.

Enjoy!