Canon

sixty five.

‘Niall,’ I murmur sliding into his bed beside him. I made sure to wake up a little before six to get dressed and ready for class before stopping at his apartment. I let myself in and step over a few stray beer cans in the hallway on my way to his room. It looked like his room had threw up all of his tee shirts and shoes. ‘Niall, c’mon - get up.’ I whisper pressing my lips to his dark hair, ‘You’re going to be late.’ Even if Niall didn’t care, I wasn’t going to sit back and let him throw all of his hard work away. Niall had already missed the last week of assignments. He got into NYU and all he had to do was walk around the stage in a matter of months. NYU was his second chance. Far away from his family and more importantly far away from Damon.

‘What are you doing here?’ He questions pulling the thin sheets over his head, shielding himself.

‘I came to give you a ride to school. Let’s go. Doesn’t a nice, hot shower sound really good right now?’

‘Lizette...’ He starts, not hiding his annoyance. ‘I’m not going.’

‘If you hurry up maybe we can get some breakfast before homeroom.’ I continue to urge him while walking over to find something clean enough for him to wear, ‘If you make me be Rose and Zayn’s third wheel for the second week in a row, I will never forgive you.’ I taunt shaking off a pair of black jeans.

‘I appreciate what you’re trying to do but I need you to give me some space. I promise to call the damn school and tell them I have mono or something at least for another week.’

‘I wish you would just talk to me.’ I practically plead sitting down by his thin legs. ‘I know you’re hurting. I’m not trying to change how you feel about what happened. I’m not trying to change how you feel towards Greg, your dad, or whoever. You ask for space yet you’re being reckless. Trashing John’s house? What if they would’ve caught you there? Am I really supposed to sit on the sidelines while you spiral out of control and get drunk in the middle of the day? How would I even be able to face you again knowing that I didn’t help you when you needed someone the most. I don’t want you to feel like you have to bottle it all in and keep it to yourself.’ All the words fall out of my mouth in an instant as I stand to my feet, waiting for him to say anything in return. He doesn’t, ‘I’ll just give you your space.’

Space. If only I knew that it would be yet another week and a half without Niall. Between trying to keep my GPA up, last minute Georgetown requirements, and working on prom I hardly had a minute to breathe. I was partially thankful because it allowed me a getaway. When I was losing myself in homework, I didn’t have to think about what Niall was doing. Part of me was worried about what Damon would do in retaliation but I avoid calling him. He sent me a message a few days back saying that he was alive, so that’s a good sign. Our fellow senior class was starting to whisper about his absence. Apparently, Monica Baker, the school’s eyes and ears heard that Niall was away because of some family emergency and he was doing his work at home. Thankfully no one asked me otherwise because I probably wouldn’t know what to say if they did.

‘So, lunch with us today, Lizette?’ Zayn wonders as I slide into my seat in home room, ‘if she doesn’t make us starve again for that damn prom.’ He pokes his narrow finger towards Rose.

‘I heard that.’ She sneaks in a kiss as she turns in her chair. ‘We can go off campus for lunch, if you want Lizzie.’ Zayn and Rose had been walking on eggshells around me for the last week. I’m pretty sure they felt sorry for me. I had been constantly trailing behind the two of them as they kissed against every locker, gym bleacher, front seat they could.

‘Yeah that sounds good.’ I agree, already fixating my eyes on my Trigonometry homework.

‘Long time, no see Ireland.’ Zayn comments causing my ears to completely perk up. I turn in my seat to see Niall dropping his backpack on the floor behind me. He offers a weak smile as I sneakily intertwine my fingers with his under the table. ‘Where have you been hiding?’

‘Screw you.’ Niall mutters under his breath, ‘So I’m guessing you’ve forgiven me for making you hang around them for another week.’ He teases thinking back to my words from a week ago.

‘No, I haven’t.’ I immediately interject briefly dropping his hand only to grab it once again. ‘I missed you here.’

‘I couldn’t miss anymore and still get my diploma.’

‘Well, whatever, your reason – I’m happy that you’re here.’

‘Aren’t you two just so cute? Holding hands and all that.’ Zayn comments, taunting Niall.

‘We should get lunch off campus together.’ Rose suggests as the four of us get up to leave home room, ‘don’t back out either.’

‘Later!’ I fan her off, slipping my arm through Niall’s. It felt nice having him beside me walking to Trigonometry, ‘we don’t have to get lunch with them if you’re not up to it. We could go to McDonalds and get our special booth?’

‘It’s up to you.’ Niall shrugs, leading the way to Trigonometry.

During class, I watch as Niall easily steps back into his role as the smartest person in the room, not missing a single beat. He jots down the answers to one of my problems before slipping the paper under my arm. As he walks me to Art, I notice how his dark eyebrows were knitted together. Feeling either uncomfortable or incredibly tense. ‘Is it Tara? Have you talked to her since?’

‘No, I’m not going to either. Jack wants nothing to do with me so I’m not going to force it.’

‘And Greg?’

‘Fuck him. I wish I would’ve done more when I had the opportunity. I can’t believe that I let the two of those bums in my apartment. I’m burning the entire couch this weekend.’

‘Niall-…’ I speak hesitantly as we get in front of the Art room. I could already see Rose giggling like a school-girl while Zayn ties her smock around her waist. ‘Never mind, we can just talk about it later. I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ He responds before walking off towards his own class.

‘So, you all want to get in my jeep?’ Zayn wonders throwing his black backpack over his shoulder to grab a hold of Rose’s hand, ‘And where are we getting food? It better not be too far because I’m starving.’

‘You’re always starving.’ Rose teases looking up at him.

‘I’ll follow you.’ Niall speaks already fishing his keys out of his tight jean pocket.

Just as we’re walking to the parking lot, John’s familiar white SUV skids into the parking lot. Niall pushes me behind him so fast, I nearly fall into Zayn. Zayn glances from Niall to Rose before stepping up beside him. Damon slowly strolls from the car, smoking on a cigarette as he does. John stands next to him, with his thick arms folded securely over one another.

‘What the hell, Zayn?’ Rose whispers reaching out for his arm, nervously. ‘What does he want?’

‘There he is,’ Damon comments with an amused expression on his face, ‘You’ve been pretty hard to track down. To think, I barely missed you the other day when you trashed Johnnie’s house – pretty bitch thing to do, huh Horan? You used to be better than that, I must say that I’m pretty disappointed that I spent those years molding you, and you.’ He nods his dark brown beard towards Zayn finally acknowledging him.

Niall doesn’t say a word. His jaw clenches so tight I swear I could almost hear his teeth cracking. My eyes fall on John who was staring down Niall. My mind immediately goes back to the night of Zayn’s party where Niall threw beer in John’s face for my benefit. Damon flicks his cigarette onto the gravel before stomping it out with the heel of his boot.

‘Maybe we should just back inside.’ Rose suggests, interrupting the harsh moment of silence, ‘Zayn.’

‘No one’s got anything to say,’ John barks out a loud, entertained laugh. Damon stifles out one himself, shaking his head.

‘I bet I can make ‘em talk.’ Damon cockily shoves his hands down into the pockets of his jean jacket before calmly making his way over to us. Damon moves past Niall, causing him to turn into me. Damon brushes aside, fixating his eyes on me. ‘Everyone has a weakness. Some of us are a little better at hiding ours. Irish here has always had a shitty poker face.’

‘Don’t you even fucking look her.’ Niall hisses, forcing himself between me and Damon.

‘And there it is. Sweet, little Lizzie. That is what we call a weakness, Johnnie.’ Damon laughs to himself before stepping towards Rose. Without thinking, I slip my fingers through hers as Zayn shields her. ‘Don’t worry girls, I wouldn’t dare do anything out here. It’s far too public for my liking, but I will see all of you soon. Zayn, I wondered which side you were really on and now I see. Disappointing, but you both know what happens when someone isn’t with us – they automatically are against us. Remember boys, I don’t hold back.’

The four of us wordlessly watch as John and Damon climb back into the tall SUV before it disappears down the street. Zayn whispers something to Rose as she nods her head repeatedly. I couldn’t quite make out what he was saying but it looked like he was comforting her. ‘What the fuck were you thinking?’ Zayn scoffs over towards Niall, ‘You’ve put a goddamn target on everyone’s back by fucking with John’s place.’

‘Zayn,’ Rose warns, impatiently tugging on his arm, ‘don’t do this.’

‘Whatever happens to her is on you. You should’ve made sure you could live with that before pulling a dumbass, rookie move.’ Zayn brutally comments before pressing against Niall with his shoulder as he walks Rose to his car.

Niall stares down at his shoes, not bringing his eyes to mine. ‘You know that they’re both right, don’t you?’

‘Zayn didn’t mean that.’

‘He did, and he’s right. I screwed up and pulled you into this. Damon has always been my problem and I made him your problem. He’s right about you being a weakness for me. I can never think straight when it comes to you. I can’t help it, or I don’t want to, I really don’t know. I’m sorry.’ Niall silently pushes me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me protectively. ‘I’m so sorry.’

I bury my face into his sweatshirt, allowing myself to be comforted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! Just wanted to thank you guys for continuously keeping up with Canon. I would love it if you guys took a second to comment and possibly let me know your likes, dislikes, something that could be better, etc. Feedback assures me, as the writer, that I'm doing something good and that you're still interested in the story. Also, feel free to subscribe or recommend if you're new! Thanks again!