Hold My Heart

Our Little Secret

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of an incoming text message on my phone. I groggily walked over to my computer desk where I had set it down and read the message.

Don't take the bus. I'll pick you up at your house. Be ready by 7. I can bring you home too if you want. -Vic

I smiled. I liked all the time that I was spending with Vic lately. I knew that he didn't want to be in a relationship, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I still secretly hoped that he would ask me out.

--------

I slung my backpack over my shoulder as Vic's small red car pulled into my driveway.

"Bye, Uncle Billie!" I called as I ran out the front door. I hopped into the passenger seat of Vic's car.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey, How's your foot doing?" he asked as he backed out of the driveway and started driving out of my neighborhood.

"It hurts like a bitch. My ankle is sprained. Billie took me to the hospital last night," I replied.

"Oh, sorry man. At least it's not broken," he said. I shrugged. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and pulled it out. It was a text from Jesse.

Hey man, where are you? - Jesse

I had completely forgotten that Jesse might be waiting for me on the bus.

Sorry, I got a ride with Vic. - Me

You're still hanging out with him? I'm not trying to be a douche, but that guy is bad news. -Jesse

Although I knew that Jesse wasn't really fond of Vic, I thought he would've dropped this by now. He keeps telling me that Vic is a bad guy and I just can't see it.

Whatever. I'll see you in 6th period. -Me

--------

"Vic, where the hell are you?" I muttered under my breath. I had been wandering around school for about ten minutes trying to find him, which probably wasn't a very smart thing to do since my ankle was sprained. I wasn't on crutches, but my foot was in this weird walking boot thing. I couldn't even count the number of times I made a fool of myself trying to walk around in this contraption today.

I was starting to give up on my quest for Vic. He was supposed to give me a ride home this afternoon, but he wasn't out by his car, and I can't find him in the school. He might've left just while I've been looking for him.

I turned the corner, about to start my journey back down the long main hallway, when I saw a familiar face leaning up against a locker. I felt a wave of relief flood over me before I realized that he was talking to someone. I recognized them as the girl from my second period class, Amy. And they looked like they were getting pretty damn close.

But it's not like anything's going on, right? I mean, Vic's gay. He told me himself. But that didn't stop Vic from moving himself closer to the girl and stroking her hair. That small gesture was enough to make my heart shatter. Instead of following the long hallway to go through the front door, I turned to my left and stormed out of a side door. I didn't know if Vic saw me or not, and right now I didn't really care. I pulled out my phone as I walked around to the back of the building and was about to call Billie when I heard a large door creak open behind me.

"Wait, Kellin!" Vic called. I didn't want to talk to him, but I had to know what was going on right now. I turned around to face him and watched as he jogged closer to me.

"What the hell was that, Vic? I thought you said you were gay," I snapped.

"Look, there isn't anything going on with Amy, okay? She has a crush on me so I always act sweet and play along, and I know that's horrible, but I just don't want anyone finding out . . . you know. We're just friends," he explained. I rolled my eyes.

"I thought you said you had a crush on me. What happened to that? I've been waiting for weeks for you to make a move, but you never have. And I didn't do anything either because I was going to respect the fact that you didn't want to come out yet, but then you go and get all friendly with some girl? What the hell am I supposed to think now? I've practically been going crazy over you since we first met!" I ranted. My eyes widened when I realized that I had just confessed my crush to him.

Vic just stared at me in astonishment. I waited for him to say something, but he looked like he didn't know what to say.

"You . . . you liked me?" he asked quietly. I nodded.

"Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious," I admitted. I saw a smile creep onto Vic's lips, and he grabbed my hand, pulling me closer to him.

"I only said that I didn't want to be in a relationship because I thought you didn't," he said quietly. I blushed and stared up at him. His face was only inches away from mine, and I got butterflies all in my stomach. I had dreamt of this moment, but I never thought that it would actually happen.

"No. I've wanted you all along," I whispered. My breath caught in my throat as Vic leaned forward and softly pressed his warm lips to mine. I completely forgot about the argument that we were just having and didn't hesitate at all to kiss him back. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled our bodies closer together, and I put both of my hands on either side of his face. After a minute, he pulled away slightly and smiled at me.

"Do you know how long I've been waiting to do that?" he asked. I grinned back at him.

"Yeah, I do," I replied before kissing him again. Words couldn't describe how happy I was. After weeks of waiting, I was finally kissing Vic. We both smiled into the kiss and I pulled away.

"So, are we, like, a thing now?" I asked.

"Well, do you want us to be a thing?" he asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. We don't have to tell anyone. It can be our little secret," I said and pecked his lips.

"Okay, I should probably take you home now, cripple," he joked. I bit my lip and rolled my eyes at him.

"Whatever," I laughed. We walked back to his car and took off. I couldn't stop staring at him as he drove. He was just so perfect. And now he was mine.