Safe and Sound

Chapter Four - Train Luxuries

Chapter Four - Train Luxuries
Grayson and I were given our own rooms for the journey. They had a bathroom and a bedroom. I was looking forward to taking my first hot shower. That would be good. Effie said I could use and wear anything I find, it was all for me to use...so I used pretty much everything. I got undressed and stepped into the shower. I still kept Rose's ribbon tied tightly around my wrist, I wasn't letting that get lost, whatever I did I couldn't loose it. Feeling curious, I pressed all the shower buttons at once, just because I felt like an adventure. It sure was an adventure. I was pelted by different perfumes, oils, scents and hot and cold water. It was an experience I would never forget, and not quite because it was the best experience I had ever had.

After being attacked viciously by the shower, I wrapped myself up in a cosy towel and went to investigate the drawers full of clothes. Eventually, I decided on a simple outfit. A plain, black shirt and tight-ish, cream trousers. I kept the shoes my mother had given me on without socks. I took down my hair from its ponytail and re-braided it into its usual, messy sight plait. I didn't want to come across as anyone but myself, not yet anyway. I made sure my ribbon stayed nice and secure on my wrist. I wasn't taking that off.

Effie Trinket then came and collected me for supper. Well, when I said supper, it was more like a grand banquet with many courses and varieties of food. Grayson and I spent the first few minutes staring at this wide selection of grand food that we had only dreamed of tasting. We weren't alive when Katniss and Peeta had won the 74th Hunger Games. We didn't know what it was like not to be starving, which was most unlike the Capitol with their rich dishes and never ending banquets.

"Well, are you two going to eat or not?" Haymitch asked us as he took a long draw from a bottle of wine he was holding. Honestly, for an old man, he could drink a lot of liquor. I was surprised his blood wasn't actually alcohol. Grayson and I exchanged glances, before we filled our plates with as much as we could. It came in courses, and each time we stacked our plates even more.

Grayson was quite happily working his way through a plate full of different vegetables, some of which I had never heard of. He held his knife and fork wrong, but at least he was trying. I was busying myself with a carrot soup. Naturally, it was much better than my mother's, but it still tasted somewhat like home.

After Grayson and I had eaten far too much, Effie decided it was time to end the meal. She lead us out of the dining room and into another compartment for us to watch all the other reapings. I didn't want to watch them, so I glazed over and pretended to watch them. All I knew is that no one volunteered for one another. They were all chosen and they all quietly took their place, all knowing what their fate was to be. This was when I decided I would ask a question.

"Effie, you know that Haymitch is our mentor, but what about Katniss and Peeta? Will they be here to mentor us, seeing as they too won the Games." I looked at Effie curiously. Grayson also looked pretty interested. We were now both ignoring our reaping, which was now being shown. Effie sighed at the two of us.

"Sadly, Katniss and Peeta can't make it, because of their young child. You know, Willow, I think it is. They wanted to come, but the Mayor insisted that they stay with their daughter. Naturally, Katniss was quite mad at this, but she gave in. So, looks like you've just got Haymitch!" Effie explained, trying to sound as enthusiastic about the matter as possible. Grayson and I sighed and slumped back against the sofa we were sitting on. Haymitch had the potential to be a great mentor, but Katniss could have helped me get my shooting skills even better than before and Peeta could have taught me more about camouflage, as I was probably awful at it. I had forgotten that they now had a young child. Effie noticed how hopeless Grayson and I now looked. "You know, Haymitch has a lot more to offer than first meets the eye. Anyway, I think it's time for bed you two, seeing as you both look exhausted. I'm honestly not surprised, it's been a tiring day for everybody. Come on, follow me back to your rooms, I don't want you getting lost."

We all walked in silence back to our rooms. The only sound that could be heard was Effie's heels as she trotted along the train. She showed Grayson his room and me mine. Our rooms were apposite each other, so if we got lost, we just had to ask the other. I thanked Effie and shut the door after her, leaning up against it when I knew for certain that she had disappeared down the corridor. Everything that had happened that day swirled in my mind in an unorganised mess, making me feel very tried but I also felt very much awake, despite this feeling of exhaustion.

I changed into something more comfortable for bed, before I leaned against my window and stared at the view zooming past me. There were little spots of light and in the darkness you could just about make out the shapes of houses. It was most likely another District, seeing as the Capitol would be way more lit up and extravagant.

I stood for at least another half an hour, before I decided it was high time for rest. Yawning, I slipped into the silky bed, pulling the covers up to the bridge of my nose, like I always did. It was a habit, but I supposed I either did it to protect me from cold or the dangers of the harsh world outside of my bed. This time, it was to protect me from the dangers of the Capitol, the place where death was used as entertainment and looks were everything, even though half of the Capitol looked rather idiotic in their extravagant wigs, outfits and make up.

The thought of make up suddenly reminded me. The opening ceremonies were going to happen tomorrow. I groaned into my pillow, thinking about how ridiculous Grayson and I were going to look in costumes, as we were paraded about in front of Panem...but then I remembered, we had Cinna, the best stylist out there. He made Katniss, Peeta and all the other tributes of District 12 since then look fantastic, what with the flickering flames and the coal black outfits. That made me smile, giving me a small bit of hope to hang on to. Cinna didn't mess around when it came to outfits and I knew for the first time in my life, I may actually look like I was ready for the Games, for Panem and to fight for my District.

Still wearing that small smile on my face, my body eventually gave in to the exhaustion and allowed me to finally drift off to sleep, somewhat peacefully. This was the first time in a long, long time that I had actually felt good about the future, but despite my hope, worse things were evident to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be mad at me because of how short it is! I am so sorry about that, but it being short makes it easier to read and take the information in, doesn't it? I hope so, because this is all you're getting for this chapter :P Despite the slightly ridiculous length, was this chapter all right? I struggled to find a name for this chapter, so 'Train Luxuries' will have to do :P

That's it for this chapter, folks! Thanks for reading, my dear reader and I hope to see you on the next chapter! Maybe? Okay :P

foreversmaug x

May the odds be ever in your favour ❁

PS: Thank you ever so much for the 10K reads (ON WATTPAD) on my LoTR/Legolas fanfiction 'An Arrow or Two'! The reads and fabulous comments mean ever so much, more than you could think ♥