Status: Completed, but editing along the way.

Change of Species

Mackenzea

The night air was cold against my face as I stared at the huge ball of fur that I was lying on top of. The eyes of this mysterious creature were boring into my skull. I pushed myself off the ground and brushed the dirt gently off my legs. This strange animal kept staring at me as if he wanted to eat me. I felt a rush if fear tingle through my spine. I quickly shook it off and thought to myself, as if he could fight me and win. I happened to be a nightstalker. I did whatever I pleased and no one could stop me.

We were a ruling race, meaning the humans on this planet were at the bottom of the food chain. My species was a mix between vampires and shape shifters. Our species had been evolving for since the late 1700s. Each ancestor possessed a particular trait that was eventually formed into one. Every single ancestor has died from human poaching. Since then, nightstalkers had become the ruling race of the entire world. I sniffed the air tentatively, still staring at the ball of animal. Something didn't seem right about it, whatever it was. I nudged it gently with my foot and waited for it to attack, but nothing happened. I jabbed it sharply with a twig from the ground.

There was a quiet whimper that echoed off the trees. "Hello?" It laid completely still, afraid to uncurl itself and analyze its surroundings. I took off running away from it, trying to escape. I had reached the city when I smelled something peculiar. What was that tantalizing scent? Where was it coming from? My stomach growled pitifully as I realized that I hadn't eaten yet. I was too distracted with what that thing was. The sun peeked over the treetops as daylight was beginning to form. I had spent the entire night trying to figure out what he was. I rushed home to beat the sunshine that could kill me if I wasn't careful. I barely managed to make it inside the door just as the sun was high in the sky. I yawned softly and stretched before I headed towards my bed. Maybe I would accomplish more after a good nights rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Each chapter is in either Mackenzea's or Zach's point of view. This was written a few years ago, and I might not see the mistakes in my typing or writing from before. So leave a comment if you see one.