Firecracker

And Just Take Me

Image
Image

”Raine, I have a favor to ask.” Rick said softly, walking up to his sister. She looked up at him and smile slightly.

”What’s up, bro?” She asked, taking a swig from her water bottle. Rick ran a hand over his face and sighed.

”We’re looking for Hershel. We think he went into town.” He paused, resting his hands on his hips. “I need you to come with me and Glenn. I don’t want you to go, but I need you.”

Raine looked up into her brother’s blue eyes, seeing the desperation behind them. She really didn’t want to go, she didn’t want to leave Daryl, not with how upset he was over Sophia. But Raine couldn’t let her brother down, if he needed her, she would be there for him...no questions about it.

”Yeah, okay. Just let me go tell Daryl.” The moment the words left her lips, she wished that she could cram them back. She squeezed her eyes shut, her lips pressed together tightly. She cracked open an eye and saw Rick looking down at her with a small smile.

”Now, why would you need to go tell Daryl? If you two are together, you can tell me.” He laughed, throwing an arm around Raine’s shoulders. She cocked her head to the side and chewed on her bottom lip.

”We’re not necessarily together, but weren’t not just friends.” She explained slowly, letting those words process in her own mind. It was something she already knew, but it was still strange. “Wait, aren’t you supposed to be mad? Tell me I’m making a mistake or I need to be careful? Why so calm?” She questioned, an eyebrow raising. Rick chuckled and removed his arm so that he could grab her hands.

”Raine, you are a full grown woman. You can take care of yourself. If you had told me this when I first met Daryl, I would have ripped you a new one. But things are different now. However, I do want you to be careful. I’m your brother, I’ll always want that. Now, go let Daryl know.”

Rick gave his sister a gently push and she was off, walking quickly towards Daryl’s tent. At some point he had moved far away from the rest of the group. Raine couldn’t blame him, she was ready to do the exact same thing. When she reached his little area, she saw him sitting on a log, making a bunch of bolts. Clearing her throat, she straddle the log, sitting down in front of him.

Daryl glanced up quickly at the brunette in front of him and he gave her his full undivided attention. He watched as she nervously put her hands together and he could see the cogs in her head turning. He braced himself for what she was about to say, he knew he wasn’t going to like it.

”Look, uh, Rick asked me to go with him and Glenn into town. They’re looking for Hershel and apparently they need my help for that.” She spoke quickly, knowing that Daryl’s reaction could be bad. He let out an annoyed sigh and thought it over. She wasn’t asking his permission, she didn’t need, but that didn’t mean that he couldn’t have an opinion.

”I ain’t gonna tell you want to do. I ain’t gonna lie though, I don’t want ya to go.” He responded, looking deep into her eyes. Raine suddenly found herself pulling him closer and pushing their lips together. This was the first time she had kissed him and sex wasn’t involved. Daryl instantly wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his lap, placing quick and breathless kisses on her lips.

Raine slid her hand up his neck and laced her fingers in his dark brown hair, tugging ever so slightly. They both knew that this could be the last time they ever saw each other and they didn’t want it to be on bad terms. They finally pulled away from each other, chests heaving and lips pink and swollen. She slipped off of his lap and gave him a small smile before walking off to meet up with her brother and Glenn.

Image

The ride was silent and Raine felt like she was about to die of boredom. They were on a serious mission, but there could have at least been some conversation. As if he read her mind, Glenn spoke up.

”Maggie said she loves me.” He said softly and Raine leaned forward instantly, her interest piqued. When he didn’t continue speaking right away, she slammed her hand on the seat and gave him an expectant look.

”She doesn’t mean it. I mean she can’t. I mean, well, she- she’s upset of confused. She’s probably feeling like-”

”I think she’s smart enough to know what she’s feeling.” Rick interrupted. Glenn looked at him with wide eyes and shook his head, gripping the shotgun tighter in his hand.

”No. No, you know what? She wants to be in love, so she needs something to like hold onto.”Glenn argued, stumbling over his words. Raine rolled her eyes and slammed her head down on the seat.

”You’re an idiot!” She exclaimed.

”Glenn, it’s pretty obvious to everyone Maggie loves you, and not just because you’re one of the last men standing. So what’s the problem?” Rick asked, tearing his eyes away from the road briefly to look at Glenn.

”I didn’t say it back. I’ve never had a woman say that to me before except my mom, of course, and my sisters. But with Maggie, it’s different. We barely know each other. What does she really know about me? Nothing. We’re practically strangers. But I didn’t know what to do with it. I just stood there like a jerk.”

”Hey, this is a good thing, something we don’t get enough of these days. Enjoy it. And when we get back, return the favor. It’s not like she’s going anywhere.” Rick said with a smile. Raine shook her head with a slight laugh and leaned back against her seat. They sat in silence for a few moments and her mind drifted to Daryl.

Rick made a really good point, they didn’t get enough love nowadays. It made her want to try and go a little further with Daryl, but she didn’t really believe in love. Especially now.

”Rick? I know about Lori, her being pregnant. I got her those pills.” Glenn added, breaking Raine from her thoughts. She looked wide eyed between the two of them. Lori was pregnant? She was going to have a niece or another nephew?

”Uh, I knew nothing about this. Care to elaborate on it a little more?” She asked, her brown eyes demanding. Rick chuckled slightly and looked back at his sister.

”It’s exactly what you heard. Lori’s pregnant. I was hoping to tell you in a different way, but Glenn dropped the ball.” He teased as he pulled into a parking space. Raine licked her lips and climbed out of the vehicle, crossbow in hand. She was trying to let the information process as best as she could, but it was huge.

The three of them walked into the bar and saw Hershel with his back to the door and a drink in his hand. Raine sighed and slung the crossbow onto her back. She wasn’t sure how they were going to get him to come back with them, but they needed to and soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's not fantastic, I'm starting to get tired after not sleeping for three days :( But I hope it'll do for now :)