One Love

Audio

I looked around Blake’s dark room as I sat at his desk and sighed as I watched the clock strike 3:00am. I feared Andy’s return to much to fall into a peaceful sleep so now as I sat here, listening to Blake’s soft snores, I couldn’t help but think about all that him and his family has done for me. I know his family hasn’t done much but letting me stay here equaled to fifty other favors. I looked towards Blake’s cell phone and I picked up the phone. I knew what I was going to do and even if I regretted it later it needed to be done. I gently shook awake Blake and looked at his sleepy body rise from the covers and look over at me.

“What is it, Audio?” He said, slightly slurring from being awoken. I looked down at the phone and back at him.

“I’m going to call the police. Andy has gotten away with it for far too long.” I said with a serious frown. Blake sat up in bed the news obviously having shocked him.

“I’ll wake my mom and sister to let them know.” Blake got out of the covers and slipped on some basketball shorts to cover his boxers.

“There’s no need to wake your mom, she’s already up. I guess paranoid we were going to screw each other brain’s out while she slept.” I let out a tired chuckled and stood up from the chair. I dialed the police as Blake went to wake up his sister and waited as the operator picked up the line.

“Hello this is 911 what is your emergency?”

“Hi, my name is Audio Johnson. I’d like to report a domestic abuse that’s been going on for many years.”

“Alright Audio, what’s your address so we can send officers out?”

“2258 Mellville Rd. I’m staying at my friends place because he tried to kill me.”

“Hang tight we will be there soon.”

I couldn’t believe what I had just done. I called the police on the man I was supposed to love but it needed to be done. I had to make him pay for doing what he’s done to me and that’s just how it is. Blake walked back into the room and looked in my direction. I sat against the bed and started crying. Blake walked over and gently hugged me close to him in comfort. I laid my head on his shoulder and from Blake’s window I could hear sirens in the distance.

“Are you ready Audio? This may be the biggest change for you.” Blake talked to me softly and I nodded as I stood up. I walked into the living room as the cops knocked on the door. Blake’s mom opened up the door and two male officers stood at the door. She beckoned them in and I took a deep breath.

“Which one is Audio?” I raised my hand shakily and they walked over to me.

“I’ll need you to tell us everything you possibly can. Start with what happened.”

“I was in a relationship with a man named Andy. His family had taken me in after he and I hooked up in seventh grade and I found out I was gay because my last relative abandoned me. At first he was verbally abusive. Then we moved out on our own at sixteen he began beating on me. It was small at first then he went to punches, kicks, and all the works.” I took a deep breath, “I thought he really loved me until a little while ago, I don’t remember when exactly, he stabbed me because I cheated. Now he’s hunting me down, he even ran us from the hospital. I know he wants to finish what he started.” The cops nodded and even through their stern, cold looks I could see and feel the sympathy but I didn’t want it.

“Can we see the extent of the damage he’s done to you?” I nodded and motioned towards the bedroom.

“I’d prefer to be in private with just Blake.” The officers nodded and one left to go out to the car. I lead the remaining officer into the bedroom with Blake where the other officer joined soon after with a camera.

“We’ll need photos if we want to build a case.” I nodded again and removed my shirt. Half of my chest was in bandages from the wound so I slowly unwound them and showed the shoe sized bruises that covered my torso. My back was covered in cuts and cigarette burns. I felt vulnerable as I stood there slowly undressing for them to take pictures.

“I think we have enough now. We’ll head back to the station and see what the boss has to say then we’ll take action.” I nodded again not being able to say anything and sat back on the bed. As the officers walked out I could hear them talking about the wounds on my body. I laid back on the bed and started to feel really drowsy as I thought about the day. Blake came and sat beside me, he had a distressed look on his face as he sat there thinking.