Intuition

Matching

I paced back and forth in my room, flipping my necklace with my fingers the way I do when I’m nervous. My thoughts raced the Indie 500 through the catacombs of my brain. What if he isn’t ready? I stopped and looked in my mirror but the thoughts only increased in speed and panic. Did I gain weight? Does my hair always look this big? Oh my God, I look like-
My thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on my bedroom door. Before I could grant entry, my mother waddle in, arms open wide.
“Philomena sweetie! Oh my darling, my little baby is matching! If only your father could see you now.” She cupped my face in her soft, meaty hands. She’s always been more emotional than normal; my dad called her an “old soul”. I tried to pull away but she pulled me down to her level and cradled my skull against her chest.
“My baby is all grown up I’m so proud!” She pulled me away and smoothed my now disgruntled hair.
“Mom, it’s really no big deal. I’ll be-“
“No big deal? Honey, this is a very big deal! You’re becoming a woman! I’m going to have a son-in-law! Oh, I’m so excited!” The air from my lungs vacated the premises and my mother’s squeals of joy halted as she noticed my face contort in fear. She sat me down on my bed.
“I’m sorry ‘Mena, I’m just so excited for you. I know how scared you are right now, when I matched with your father, I couldn’t even stand up I was so petrified! But it’ll work out, you two have been together for three years! It is meant to be.” She squeezed my hand and smiled. Looking at her crooked teeth and cheery eyes I couldn’t help but smile. I rested my head on her lap in silent appreciation. She gently ran her fingers through my hair.
“When you know, you know.”
The doorbell echoed through the house, chiming in my ears. I sprung up to get to the door but I wasn’t quick enough: my mother was already squawking at Amon, greeting him as loud as always. I ran down the stairs and observe the peculiar sight.
Amon’s tall, slender frame was being devoured in a hug from a short, round Italian woman. I giggled at the scene, catching Amon’s attention. He grinned and discretely waved hello to me whilst still engulfed in the chokehold of an embrace my mother bestowed upon him. His eyes screamed for help so I eased in between them, cutting her affection short. I kissed her on the cheek and led Amon by the arm out the door. Once the door closed he let out an exasperated sigh.
“Your mother still catches me off-guard, even after all this time.” I nudged him with my shoulder.
“You know, people say we all turn into our parents.” His eyes widened at the thought. I stood on my toes to reach his cheek and gave it a kiss. The look of horror eroded with every kiss until it had evolved into a smirk. He whispered into my hair.
“Please don’t turn into your mother. I love you the way you are.” He punctuated his plea with a kiss to my forehead. I laughed and we drove off to the restaurant to officially begin the night.
The dinner went well, but once the check appeared there was a hue of fear and anticipation in the air: we both knew what was to come next. Our eyes were glued to the bill in utter silence for what seemed like an eternity. I twisted my napkin every which way, crinkling it into an unrecognizable mass of crumpled paper. Amon slid his hand over mine, making me look at him.
“Don’t fidget, it’s going to be okay.” His words lulled me into serenity and I responded with a smile. His eyes twinkled in appreciation and at that moment we knew it was time. He smoothly placed the money onto the table and escorted me out into the crisp night. Amon gingerly wrapped his coat around my shoulders and turned me towards him.
“I love you, Philly.” He said in a tone of comfort and warmth. I smiled but when I tried to respond, my teeth began to chatter. I felt my face flush in response to his chuckling. Gently grabbing my chin, he moved it up and down, imitating my voice.
“I love you too, Amon.” He cooed. My smile widened, I let out a laugh and leaned into his arms.
“I do love you.” He held my hand close to his heart and stared deep into my eyes.
“Are you ready?” I quickly nodded and braced myself for the future. I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled my necklace out of hiding under my shirt. When it was fully revealed I opened my eyes to see Amon staring wide-eyed. I looked down to see the necklaces still apart. The magnets refused to match them up. Tears welled up in the corners of my eyes and I grabbed both pendants. I began to push them together every which way, but they resisted with great strength, refusing to get any closer than a half inch and rejecting my dreams of forever. The tears gathering in my ducts overflowed onto my cheeks and I became hysterical. Amon pulled me in tight to physically contain my emotions. I melted into his chest.
“What are we going to do? They don’t match…we aren’t supposed to be together…” He squeezed tighter and kissed every inch of my face. Eyes, nose, forehead, lips. Each kiss whispered it’ll be okay. He bent down to eye level and held my shoulders.
“It doesn’t matter, Philly. It’s just a stupid necklace. I love you. And you love me. I won’t let a mysterious hunk of metal tell me I should find someone new.” I shook my head but he wouldn’t allow denial. He placed his hands on my cheeks and sustained eye contact.
“I want you and only you. Forever. And I will break any tradition to keep you.” My cries faded into small sniffs.
“Forever?” I stuttered. He pulled me into another hug and gently rocked me under the stars.
“Forever.”