Status: Active

I Won't Give Up

02

The next morning or well afternoon, I woke up determined to make the most of my new life. I crawled out of bed and did a normal morning routine. Brush my teeth, shower and change into some clothes.

I grabbed my phone and looked up the address for Merlotte’s bar and grill. As soon as I had it, I locked up the house and hopped in my car and started down the road following the directions. Pulling up to Merlotte’s I could tell this was the local hangout, seeing as there were a handful of cars parked out front. I parked my Genesis and made my way into the bar.

Upon entering the bar, I was greeted by a man with brown hair. He was kind of cute I had to admit. “Hi, welcome to Merlotte’s. Hm I haven’t seen you around here before, are you new here? My name is Sam Merlotte by the way,” the man asked curiously. ‘So this is his bar,’ I thought.

“Yes, I just moved here from Atlanta, GA. My name is Marissa Austin. Nice to meet you Sam,” I said with my ‘award winning smile’ as my dad would call it.

“A beautiful name for a beautiful lady,” Sam said as he led me to a table and placed a menu down. I chuckled to myself. “Do you always hit on the new women here?” I asked jokingly.

It was his turn to chuckle. “Only the pretty ones. Now if you need anything, just let me know,” he gently placed his hand on my shoulder and turned to walk away.

“Actually yes there is something. I heard there was a waitress position open. I was wondering if that job is still available.” He had a surprised look on his face.

“Uh yeah the position is still open. After your meal, why don’t you meet in the back in my office and we can talk some more,” Sam said while running a hand through his hair.

“Sounds like a plan,” I smiled and then turned to look at the menu. A few minutes later, a blonde waitress made her way over to me.

Sookie’s POV

I can’t believe I was back at work after Dawn’s murder, and I was stressed out. Sam has also been on my case after I met Bill. If that wasn’t stressful, that fact that Jason is being blamed for Dawn’s murder is the topping on the cake.

“Sookie! You have a customer in your area. Oh and when she is done, can you send her back to my office. She was inquiring about the waitress position,” Sam said as he pointed out into the bar.

“Alright Sam.”

Arlene noticed me and quickly rushed over to me, grinning from ear to ear.

“Sam was just flirting with that new girl over there in your area. Apparently she moved here from Georgia,” she said with her usual gossipy voice.

“Sam flirts with everyone Arlene,” I said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Yeah but this little suga’ is gorgeous. I don’t blame him,” she said walking away to pick up a tray of drinks for her tables.

I walked over to the new girl Arlene was talking about and I could tell she was very pretty. The only thing that threw me off guard was that I couldn’t hear her thoughts. She obviously couldn’t be a vampire because it was daylight.

“Hi, my name is Sookie. Can I start you off with something to drink,” I asked. The girl turned to me and I noticed her amazing blue eyes and dimples when she smiled.

“A lemonade please,” she said. She didn’t have an accent, which is strange if she moved here from
Georgia. “Coming right up.”

I went back towards the bar and Tara gave me an all knowing look.

“Girl, what’s wrong? You look like you’re constipated or something,” she said sincerely.

“I don’t know. It’s that girl in my area. I can’t hear her thoughts. I don’t know if I should be worried. Oh yeah and I need a lemonade.”

Tara leaned over the bar to get a good look at her.

“She looks perfectly normal. At least we know she isn’t a vampire. I thought Bill was the only one you couldn’t hear?” She grabbed a pitcher of the lemonade and filled a glass. I grabbed the glass and shot another glance at the mysterious new person, trying to hone in on her thoughts.

“I guess I have another person I can’t hear. I know I should be happy that I can’t hear her but it’s a red flag for me. What if she is the one killing the fang bangers?” I whispered a little harshly.

“I don’t know Sook. Just be on your guard in case she is the one.”

Marissa’s POV

As soon as Sookie left I panicked a little bit. My waitress is a telepath and I could feel her trying to probe my thoughts. If I wanted to fit in, I have to let my barrier down. I could already tell she was a little suspicious of me. I frowned when I heard her talking to the bartender about me.

When I heard her coming back, I let the barrier on my thoughts down. I immediately started forming untrue thoughts about the move from Georgia to Louisiana and the new house; being sure to put a block on my real thoughts of my life. Sookie set the lemonade in front of me and I could tell she was more at ease now that she can hear my thoughts.

“Are you ready to order?” She asked a more cheerful and comfortable around me. I sighed to myself in relief.

“I will have the turkey sandwich and a side of fries.” I handed her the menu when she was done writing my order down. Now that I can relax, I looked over Sookie. She was very pretty and had a physique that I am sure other women are jealous of. She reminds me of my old friend Laurel.
Blonde hair, brown eyes, and almost the same cheek bones.

My stomach growled and I groaned. I really didn’t notice how hungry I was until now. Thankfully I didn’t have to wait long because Sookie walked up and set a plate in front of me.

“Enjoy.”

I dug into the sandwich as soon as she walked away and it was very delicious. I took the last sip of my lemonade and sat back into the booth feeling satisfied.
Sookie came back with the bill and I set the money on the table telling her to keep the change.

“Oh yeah. Sam said to meet him in his office,” Sookie said as she picked up the money and pointed me in the direction of his office.

“Thank you Sookie,” I shot her a genuine smile and walked back toward his office. It wasn’t hard finding it granted the door was open. Sam was sitting in his chair with his back to the door and he had his head in his hands. I knocked on the door and he turned around.

“Oh hey Marissa, come on in and have a seat,” he said as he turned around to face me as I sat down in front of him.

“So, first off do you have any experience in waitressing?” He looked me over with his eyes and I cleared my throat. Now what was I supposed to say? Perhaps I can say I had waitressed in college, a college I never even went to. I mean how hard can it be? I could observe the others. Ugh, I can’t lie.

“To be honest, no,” I said shyly as I ran my hand through my long hair.

“Ok. Why do you want to work here?”

“Well, for one, this appears to be a fine establishment, very family friendly. And you know, the bills are piling up and this job is my last resort,” I tried to not sound desperate, but hey it was the truth.

Surely Sam could understand that.

Sam rubbed his chin and thought long and hard.

“Well, I do need a new waitress. Now if you promise to work hard, you can have the job. Welcome to the team,” he grinned widely and held out his hand. I took it generously and shook it.

“Thank you so much Sam! I can start at any time.”

“Tonight at five would be great. The uniform is a simply pair of black shorts, black tennis shoes and a Merlotte’s shirt. What size are you,” he asked looking me up and down again.

“A medium,” I silently thanked my mom for passing down her modest chest size. He dug through a box of white shirts and tossed me one.

“So I will see you at five. Sookie will also be training. Speaking of which, when you leave can you send her in?”

“No problem. Thank you again Sam,” I got up and headed back into the bar. I saw Sookie over by the bar with her friend, and I walked over.

“Excuse me Sookie, Sam wishes to see you” Sookie turned to me and smiled as soon as she saw the t-shirt in my hand.

“Oh my goodness! You are going to working with us!” She was surprisingly excited, considering before she was very cautious of me. Perhaps she could trust me now that she can read my thoughts; or well what I want her to read.

“Yes I am. I start at five today. The sooner the better I say. Well I should head home and get ready. I will so you all later,” I waved and went outside to my car, hopped in and sped off home.

Once home, I ran upstairs and started looking for a pair of black shorts. After throwing every single pair of pants all over my room, I finally found a pair of shorts. Note to self: buy more shorts.

After fifteen minutes of cleaning up my room, I changed into my uniform and applied some makeup; just eyeliner and lip gloss. I locked up the house and got back into my car and drove off to work. By the time I got to Merlotte’s, there were more cars parked out front than when I was there. I drove behind the building and parked next to a little yellow car.

“Well Maris, knock em’ dead,” I said to myself before getting out of my car and through the employee entrance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is, the second installment!