The Woman in Red

A Little Too Late

Weeks began to pass taking with it the warm weather and bringing in the chilly late November winds. Forrest and I still hadn’t had a decent conversation but his leash on me had loosened to the extent he allowed me to help around the station some. Of course all this came from either Howard or Jack and none of the jobs were more than peeling potatoes or cleaning up after closing. All in all I was content a bit shy from happy. Jack and Howard kept me satisfied with their constant hugs and Howards relentless pursuit of moonshine was the best cure for anything and that’s how we spent most nights curled up on the porch sipping ‘shine and swapping stories. Forrest’s lack of company still caused a pang of hurt to pulse through me on occasion.

I hummed softly with the radio as my gaze followed the path of the knife as it peeled the skin off the peaches and continued to half them and cut into perfect bit size stumps. The first two peach cobblers were cooling on the counter sending off a delightful aroma of the homemade sweet breading and fresh fruit.

“Oooh we! Something sure does smell damn fine in her and I know its not just you Fancy Rae!” Howard winked. I chuckled and finished the last of the peaches before turning to him.

“My overseer expanded my freedoms onto the kitchen, seeing as he had no idea what to do with Mrs. Gerald’s charitable peach delivery. I know have to ‘do something with them’ as he told me. So like any good slave would do I made some peach cobblers. Two for dinner crowd and one of yall.”

“You know he means well he’s just well, fuck, he’s Forrest and no one knows whats going on in the boys head but him.”

“Thanks Howard makes me feel loads better. All I know is that he hates me.” I mumbled turning back to the table and scraping the mess onto the cutting board.

“Aw hell you know that ain’t true.” Howard stated continuing into the kitchen with me as I began the preparation of the last cobbler I scoffed. “Honestly, when yalls was kids you was all he talked about. You and building this station. Hell he got one out of two right and for Forrest that ain’t half bad. He just got the wrong one of the two in my opinion.”

“Yeah but that was then. Lets face it Howard” I sighed wiping my hands on my apron after putting the pan in the oven “We should just run off and get married.”

Howard’s face broke out in a triumphant smile before he ducked down and picked me up by my knees throwing me over his shoulder. I squealed as he barreled out from behind the bar and into the main room of the station twirling me around. I laughed effortlessly as the room began to blur and I pounded on Howard’s back for him to stop. A deep cough stopped Howard and he dropped me to my feet. I turned to see Forrest glaring at us, a look that seemed so natural now.

“If you two are done fucking off Howard we gotta delivery to make.” He grumbled placing his hat on his head.

“Oh hell Forrest you’re no fun.” Howard whined as he walked outside to the start up the car.

Forrest walked to me adjusting his left sleeve as his stare fell on me. The expression so stern and intense I was sure he was going to say something, but just as he stood infront of me. He puffed his cigar and hummed a ‘greemph’ in the back of his throat before following Howard.
I released the breath I was holding and rolled my eyes at myself and Forrest. I didn’t know why I allowed him to have this effect on me. I turned on my heel and entered the kitchen to start on supper.

The boys returned late that night all with a jar of shine and each and all in good spirits, except for Forrest of course.

“This heres one damn fine cobbler, Fancy.” Jack complemented around the large bite he had in his mouth.

I smiled and gave a nod “Glad you like it.”

“mmhmm” Howard agreed scraping the plate with his fork his mouth full. “You’ll have to cook like this every night once we get hitched.” He winked Forrest’s head jerked to his brother.

I chuckled softly shaking my head as I retrieved the empty plates and took them to the sink “Nah I think after the ‘I do’s’ I’ll give up. Gain a couple hundred pounds, ya know just let it all go.”
Howards face mocked horror as I returned he pulled me into his lap “You won’t do no such thing! Ya do I’ll divorce your ass!”

I howled in laughter as he began tickling me mercilessly. He finally stopped and I laid my head on his shoulder in an attempt to calm my breathing.

“What the hell you playing at?”

The question hung in the deafening silence. I met Forrest critical gawk and felt myself shrink back.

“Wha-“

“What the hell are you playing at?” I gave him a confused look and he sat up straighter in his chair leaning his forearms on the wood. “You think you’re going to come here and make some extra money? Huh? The way you been hanging on Howard and Jack shoving your tits and ass in their face, that how they taught you to do it in Chicago?”

“Forrest what the hell is your problem?” Howard barked.

“Shut up Howard!”

“You think you’re so smart walking in here like you own it cause you got big friends in the city. You ain’t nothing without them! Nothing but a whore.”

“Now Forrest..”

“I said shut the fuck up Jack” the younger Bondurant cowered away from the scold and I stood from Howard’s lap as he also gave Forrest a flabbergasted look.

“I never did anything I didn’t have to.” My voice was low my strong as I straightened my spine and looked at Forrest in the eyes. “You think I’m proud of what I’ve had to do?”

“Oh yeah I think you’re damn proud of it.”

“Then it shows you don’t know a damn thing about me Forrest Bondurant. But don’t forget you’re the one who left me had you come back momma wouldn’t have sent me off!” I was yelling by the last sentence my emotions getting the better of me.

“I did come back.” Was his simple reply, this time softer and with a ‘lost for words’ look.

“Yeah, just a little too late though right?” I chuckled sarcastically as I walked to the door.

Howard looked back and forth at the two of us before registering I was putting on my coat. “Where are you going?” he asked still shell shocked.

“I’m not staying under the same roof as someone who thinks I’m a liar.” I snapped before slamming the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments only encourage me! Please keep them coming!