Here One Minute, Gone the Next

And Then The Darkness Came

I felt like a brand new person as I explored the once familiar streets of San Diego. This moment surely will not last long or often, so I take in everything I can. There are bustling people rushing around going to their job, home, or anywhere really. I smell the fumes from the transportation and the sweat of other people in this humid day. The sky is the most beautiful shade of blue I have ever seen in my life with perfect white cotton candy clouds. There are birds fluttering all around with nature mixing with the city in the most peculiar way, and I loved every aspect of it. Of course I was taking in all of the sights, sounds, and smells, but I had to get down to business and find a suitable workplace to sustain my life with Derrick. There are plenty of stores and shops for me to work at around here, but none of them look appealing to say the least. Then I see it, a normal girl's second home. A mall. I get this nervous knot in my stomach and get this itching urge to run straight to it and look around. They would have jobs, right?

I waited for the pedestrian sign to tell me to cross the street and I sprinted across to the place I might call my new safe haven. As soon as I walk through the large glass doors I am greeted by smells of pretzels, perfumes, and new clothing. There are groups of teenagers walking through the large walkways, mothers pulling their children to their hips to keep them safe with them, and men with uninterested faces looking for whatever they are told they might need. I myself decided to look for a store that suited me to apply for. Although it was a Thursday it was way busier than I would have thought. In the parking lot it was 3/4 of the way full and I saw a couple busses that appeared to be from a touring company. Probably some elderly people who are looking for a small adventure or some kids going on a field trip to this new city. I found my answer as I walked by the food court that was filled with an insane amount of teenagers picking out food and carrying shopping bags. They were crowded around the center of the cafeteria for some reason. Probably some kid trying to show off, or maybe a teacher handing out a paper to the traveling group. Whatever it was, I was highly uninterested in considering I had around 16 hours to obtain a job. It might seem like a long time, but it is only 16 hours of freedom. Then I have to return to hell and be threatened by the devil.

I took a stroll through several fragrance stores, clothing stores, and even music stores and I found nothing that truly interested me. I wanted to work at the mall because I felt a freedom and a sense of normalcy around all of these people that were not out to get me. The top level of the mall had nothing other than a bunch of children stores and some middle aged women styled boutiques. The main level had the food court, men's sporting places, shoe stores, and some mainstream clothing retailers. The mall was a tri-level, so I was off to the bottom. This was where all of the cool stuff was. I remember this area to be the cool hangout spot for teenagers. There was glow in the dark mini golf, a small amusement ride section, a movie theater, and a bundle of risky stores like Spencer's, and some junk food stands. I could live with working down here because I enjoyed the carefree atmosphere. I feel like I belong with these kids. There were not nearly as many people down here, so maybe the school group left. I continued to explore the last level and stumbled across a Hot Topic. That was my favorite store as a teen. Curiosity got the best of me as I entered the familiar atmosphere of band merch, movie propaganda, dimmed lights, and modern rock music.

I smiled to myself when my eyes scanned the walls showcasing not only modern bands like Memphis May Fire, but classic bands like Rush. It was around 8:30 and I knew the shop would close up in around half an hour. I made my way up to the cash register and asked about receiving an application to work here. The woman across the counter had a name tag, pinned on her white pin stripped black vest paired with red skinny jeans and a grey tank top, which read Tammy. She was nice and had spider bite lip rings and her septum pierced as well. She said she needs to speak to the manager about openings and she would return soon enough. I smiled and accepted her absence with a short nod and thank you. I turned so my back would face the counter and I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I really hope that I get this job. Although I enjoy all of the mall, this place felt the most like home to me. Home is something I do not experience really, so this is a nice change. The music was playing Panic! At The Disco's song Girls/Girls/Boys when it was interrupted by a voice on the intercom warning that the store is closing now. Was I supposed to wait here? Did they expect me to just leave? Maybe this is their way of telling me no considering my phone reads 8:45. That is 15 minutes earlier than they usually close. The few kids that were still in the store shuffle out as a nice young associate helps them check out. He looks up at me and says," If you are the girl waiting to hear about the application, hang in here for a little longer. We have some... business to take care of at the moment. Make yourself at home!"

With that he left with a smile and headed to the back after closing the front gates. I was alone in the store now with my only company being the voice of Oliver Sykes. I can't complain though. I can't help but wonder what business they had to do right now. Couldn't it wait 15 minutes? I mentally sigh as I literally feel time ticking away. I hear the large metal door of the back room open and a light sound of footsteps approaching me. There stands a short girl with pixie cut red hair and cat eye glasses that looks relatively young. Her name tag reads Annah and she has the pristine word "manager" printed neatly above her name. She gives a warming smile to me and says in a sweet voice," So you are Stephanie?" I reply saying," yes ma'am. I would like a job here because I enjoy this atmosphere and I an rather desperate for a job so-" "That is all I needed to hear!" she exclaimed with a slight burst of joy in her step as she returned to the back room. That was odd. I really wonder what she meant. This was a rather confusing place that left me thinking. I suppose I could wait here for her to return to more than likely run me through the rules.

I cannot believe that I actually found a job! I might not be as hopeless as Derrick makes me believe I am. I am really excited to tell him I actually succeeded at something without his assistance. I wonder if this is what independence feels like... I like it if it is! I need to stop getting ahead of myself though. They might not hire me for sounding too eager. Peppy attitudes aren't exactly the best match with this dimly lit dark store. The other employees sound nice enough though. My thoughts get interrupted by a stinging pain in my arm. I whip my head around to see the male associate from earlier with a sorry look on his face, but my vision is blurring fast. The last thing I can sense is the sound of Annah assuring someone saying," she is all yours!" Then everything turned black.

I knew leaving home was a bad idea, and that I was now probably included in some sick human trafficing scandal that would leave me being sold to some sick pimp to use my body for whatever he pleases then murder me when I refuse to meet demands. Anything is better than living with Derrick though. I still am numbed out and have no sense of how long I have been out. The only thing I can register are a couple masculine voices and a slight bumpy rhythm as I can tell I am in a vehicle of some sort. My mind unfogs and things slowly become clearer. The sounds of chatter hault as I stir and open my disoriented eyes. I register my surroundings and I could literally feel my eyeballs bulge out of my head. I never would have suspected this in a thousand years. Maybe I just died, or this is a twisted dream of mine due to the drug I was given. I sat in awe as 5 pairs of friendly eyes looked back at me. What the actual fuck is happening right now?