The Pie Hole

Prologue

Carmen Blaine Davis was exactly nineteen years, two days, and three hours old when she was walking to the bus stop from her job at the small restaurant in Miami, Florida. She had to work until closing, and she regretted not having a car for the millionth time since she lived on the other side of the large city. She also regretted not taking the ride home from Carson Banks. She knew the drive was out of his way to get to her apartment when his was only a few blocks away.

Carmen was pulled by two muscled arms pull her into the dark alley between the bakery and book store. She had gone to both stores many times during her time living in the big city. A man pushed Carmen’s face into the cold brick wall as he pulled a bag over her face. She struggled against him, trying to kick or at least loosen his grip. Carmen knew that if she could get away, she would be able to get some help and call 911. The air was starting to become thin, and I tried to control my breathing.

As he pushed more of his weight into Carmen’s body to hold her still, she could feel the familiarity of the male’s body, but she couldn’t think of who it belonged to-not in that moment. He didn’t say anything which made it harder for Carmen to try to identify the attacker. He was able to hold her up against the wall with one arm and grab her purse with the other.

Something about this made Carmen think it was ritualistic to the man. It seemed like this wasn’t the first time that he had done this to a woman in an alley, and he had to do this exactly as the times before. Carmen felt like crying, but the only thing she could do was slowly become unconscious as she slowly suffocated to death.

***

Two days and seven hours later, Carmen woke up to find herself lying in a coffin in a dirty room. She sat up and saw a blond man, leaving the room. Carmen climbed out of the coffin without thinking about what happened in that second. She wanted to know who the mystery man was. When she stood, a piece of paper floated to the ground. She ignored it for a second as she looked out the door of the room, but didn’t see anyone other than closed doors and furniture.

Carmen turned around and grabbed the piece of paper. It took her a second to read it because what had happened in her most recent memories was the attack. She gasped and fell to the ground as she took in that had happened, and she had to be dead. There was no way that she could have survived with her waking up in a coffin, but why was she up now? Did they just make a mistake? Or was this just some weird dream?

She finally looked down at the paper. It was a hand-written note. The words were sloppy, and it seemed a bit rushed. She read through the words twice, trying to make sense of the outrageous things it was saying.

Dear Carmen,

I know that this is shocking, but you were dead. The attack had really happened, but I’m giving you a second chance at life with a single touch. You need to leave Miami because everyone believes that you are dead. Please try to find a place far from here for your home. It may be hard, but it is the best thing for you.

I wish that I could have stuck around and explained this better, but it wouldn’t work like that. I will have to stay a mystery to you. Just listen to me and leave Florida. I have left a bag of clothes that I believe will fit you and some money for you to get started in the corner of the room.

Please make the best of your second chance.

-A Friend


Carmen looked up to see in fact a large duffel bag. She went to it and picked it up. Inside of the red bag was clothes and a few envelopes all filled with money. Carmen didn’t sit there and count it when she heard the loud thumb. She gently closed the casket, thanking her family. Carmen’s parents didn’t think that living people should look upon dead bodies, so during the funeral the caskets were always closed and possibly locked shut.

She placed the note inside the bag, before zipping it up and sliding the strap over her shoulder. Carmen snuck out of the funeral home, hoping that no one saw her, but she was being watched by the mystery man. His eyes watched her from across the street, and there was a smile on his lips as he watched her head in the direction of the airport just a few streets up. He prayed that her new life would be a better one, and he hoped that he hadn’t ruined a good person’s life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here is the prologue. I do hope that you will enjoy this and let me know what you think. ♥