Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Trapped

His angry brown eyes glared down at her, pulling her out of bed. She gripped the sheet over her, her knuckles turning white. She looked back at the bed but Kai still hadn’t returned. Her stomach dropped. What is he was hurt?
“Did you really think you could run from me?” he asked bitterly, tightening his hold on her. She winced, trying not to show weakness. “Wretch,” he spat, throwing her to the floor. One of his men stood at the door, blocking her only escape. “I gave you everything,” he went on, stomping toward her as she scooted back. He noted the fear in her eyes as he took a step back, pausing to think before he spoke.
She held her breath, waiting for the real explosion. Her lips tightened in a thin line as she sat motionless, watching her husband start to pace back and forth. She had a good guess as to who had sold out her whereabouts.
“I’m going to give you another chance, Alana.” He said, feigning excitement. “I’m taking you home now,” he said, motioning for her to stand.
She pulled herself up slowly, watching his every move. “Charles,” she choked.
His cold eyes weren’t amused. “You are coming home with me, Alana, one way or another.” He said flatly. She glanced back at the door, praying Kai would come find her at any second. “Now, you can leave like a lady, or I will drag you out by your hair,” he threatened. “The choice is yours, my dear.”
She swallowed hard, knowing his threat wasn’t idle. He tore a dress out of the wardrobe, throwing it at her. She pulled it on, slowly tying the bodice up with her shaking hands. He snapped his fingers, growing impatient as she knotted the laces. He grabbed her arm and walked her out the door in front of him.
She stepped down the stairs, scouring the area for any sign of Kai. Charles had his hand on her shoulder, making sure she wouldn’t try anything. Tears slipped past her eyes out of her control, falling down her cheeks silently as she held her calm façade. Alana held her chin high, wiping her eyes quickly. They were almost to the door when she heard yelling coming from the solar. A door slammed opened and the two men ran out.
Kenneth tried to stop Kai from interfering with Alana and her husband. “Kai!” She called, lurching toward him. Charles was too fast for her, his arm wrapped around her waist, lifting her into the air as she tried to fight him off.
His men rushed to block Kai as he knocked his brother to the ground. Their fingers intertwined for barely a second before she was dragged away. Kai fought the five relentless guards as they outnumbered him. She watched as one kicked the back of his knees in, forcing him to the ground as they held his arms to the side, putting a blade to his neck. His jaw clenched, watching her being taken away from him.
She sat in the carriage across from her husband. Her hands were tied in her lap as she looked down, utterly defeated. Lightning flashed across the sky as the rain poured over them in heavy waves.
The next day they’d made it through the gates. The courtyard was dark; everyone was so solemn, keeping to themselves as they moved about. No one bothered to look up at the sight of her. They all knew she was in trouble. They all knew what this man was capable of. She walked up the stairs to her room, his hand holding tight to her arm. Bruises were already forming with the way he handled her. He shoved her into the old room, slamming the door, locking her in.
Alana fell to her knees, overwhelmed as she fought for her breath, nearly hyperventilating from the stress of it all. Her head ached as she pulled at her hair, thrashing her fingers through the golden locks as she fought for control.
Silence filled the room as she calmed down. She stumbled to her feet, looking around the old room. Anger reverberated through her; clenching her skirts she walked to the worn vanity, glancing at all the perfumes and trinkets, each holding a memory, an apology, for what he’d done. She shrieked, shoving everything to the floor with rage, watching the glass break. The liquids spread all over the rich wood floor, creating an odd sort of aroma from the mix of them. She moved to the window, looking out into the evening sky, coming down from her emotional high.
~ ~ ~
Kai had beaten his brother to a bloody pulp by the time his rage had simmered. He could see straight again. He knew he’d have to wait for the right moment to get her back. There was no way that man was going to let her out of his sight now that he had her back under his command. He tossed his scotch back, feeling the numbness wash over him by the second. He still wasn’t numb enough. He was at the end of another bottle, throwing it into the fire. The glass shattered against the stone wall behind the flames, making them roar with the taste of alcohol.
He called for another drink, ordering Margaret with his bloodshot eyes. He still hadn’t slept. Everything Alana had said about Kenneth was profoundly true. He’d violated her with the encouragement of her husband. That bastard had sold her out to his friends like she was some whore in a brothel. It made him sick. Margaret silently carried in another bottle of scotch, setting it beside him without a word. He poured another drink, overflowing the glass in his drunken state. He stared into the flames, plotting different ways he could get her out of there.
~ ~ ~
Charles entered the room abruptly. Glass crushed under his boot as he stepped inside. He glanced around at the mess, settling his dark eyes on her. Alana had her back to him, feeling his stare melting into the back of her head. The wind picked up, blowing her hair behind her. She cringed, waiting for his reaction.
He closed the distance between them, reaching for her hair, yanking her head back. She gripped his shirt, trying not to fall. He looked down at his chest, seeing the line on her finger where her ring used to be. He tore her hand away from him, releasing her hair.
“Where is it?” he spat, bending her hand back. She winced in pain, forcing herself not to make a sound. “Your ring, where is it?” he shouted. She could taste the alcohol on his breath.
“I—I don’t know, Charles,” she cried, moving closer as the pain pulsed through her wrist.
“I’m only going to ask one last time, Alana. What happened to it?” He lowered his voice, breathing down her neck.
She shook her head, “Charles, I don’t know. Someone must’ve taken it in my sleep,” she lied, holding a straight face as he searched her features. He released her hand, taking a step back. She held her wrist, massaging the pain, keeping her eyes on him.
He paced the room, stomping on the glass, fueling his anger. Her pulse ticked nervously, anticipating the snap. He shook his head, turning his cold eyes to her as he moved back and forth. He scratched over his thick dark beard, the shades of gray nearly invisible in the darkness. “I knew you would be a mistake.” He started, “You’ve been nothing but trouble since the day I married you. I thought maybe it was your age. Twenty-five years younger than me, you didn’t know any better. I made excuses for your behavior; acting like a child instead of a wife.” He went on. Her jaw clenched. “You couldn’t even give me children.”
Her stomach knotted. Bringing up the most painful memory she’d locked away. “That’s not true,” she whispered. “The babies died. That is not my fault.” His hand whipped across her face, his ring cut the corner of her mouth. She tasted blood. “This,” she started, “This is why children didn’t work for us.” She spit the taste out of her mouth, “You hurt me incessantly, you put too much pressure on me, too much stress and I miscarried; every single time, Charles.” A wicked smile played on her lips as she stepped forward. “I’m done. Do what you will with me. I no longer care.” She turned away, gripping the ledge on the window to keep her hands from shaking.
He stepped over the glass and pulled her arm back, shoving her into the bed frame. He held her by her throat, choking her as she gripped his arm. “Don’t tempt me.” he held harder before shoving her to the ground. She landed in the glass, cuts stinging down her arms. She wiped the blood down her skin, removing the tiny shards that were stuck. “Did you really think you’d get away with it, Alana?” he asked. “I thought you were kidnapped, hell I thought you were dead. I wasn’t going to give it another thought until that MacGregor walked in here, half insane going on about my wife eloping with his brother.”
She scoffed, “Eloping? Eloping. Who the hell would I elope with? The only men I ever saw were always within these walls.” Alana sat up. “I was fifteen when I married you. I was a child. All I ever did was try to get you to love me but I was never perfect enough for you.” She brushed her hair out of her face. “You did nothing but hurt me. I had to leave. They took me along with them and I chose to stay. I would’ve done anything to get away from you,” She said bitterly.
He pulled her up from the floor, shaking her by her shoulders before slamming her into the wall as he left the room. She sat against the wall, trembling as the sound of the slammed door resonated through her mind. She’d done it. She stood up to him, even if she was beaten down in the process. She spoke her mind and somehow the pain didn’t feel so painful. Her jaw was swollen, her arms were cut, her bare feet were gashed, but she was stronger. She wasn’t afraid of him anymore.
Hours later a maid walked in cautiously, carrying a bucket of hot water. She was new, couldn’t be more than sixteen. Her innocent eyes widened as she took in the mess and Alana’s appearance. “M’ lady,” she quivered.
Alana shook her head, easing the girl. “It’s okay. I’ll be fine, thank you,” she said, limping over to the water. She waved the girl out, dunking the rag into the water to clean her wounds. She winced as the heat hit her skin, stinging the scrapes.
The maid returned, cleaning up the mess on the floor. “Can I bring you anything?” she asked warily.
“Some salve if there is any.” Alana wrung out the bloody cloth, watching the maid leave the room again.
Another two days had passed and she lay in bed alone, unable to sleep. Her mind wandered back to Kai, hoping he was alright. He was going to find her, she had to believe that. There was no way she could leave again by herself. The first time was hard enough. Her body ached where the bruises formed, leaving her black and blue. Alana carefully rolled to her stomach, whimpering in pain as she breathed, reminding herself to relax her muscles. The door creaked open. Her eyes shot over, watching to see who entered.
Her drunken husband stepped in, his black hair disheveled. She scrambled to sit up, covering herself with the sheet as he sat on the bed. His eyes attempted to focus on her. He moved closer, speaking incoherently as she backed against the headboard. His harsh mouth covered hers, giving her the taste of his alcohol. She squirmed, pushing him off.
“Bitch!” he spat, seeing her wipe him off her mouth. He lurched for her again and she moved her foot, kicking him in the stomach. He doubled over, grabbing her ankle, dragging her out of the bed. She held the ledge of the window, pulling herself up with her eyes locked on him. His had slashed across her face; her head bashed against the stone ledge and she was gone.
Smoke filled her nose. Her eyes burst open; her head throbbed, remembering what had happened. The room was clouded in black smoke as she coughed, covering her face with her nightgown. She hoisted herself up, stumbling on her twisted ankle. She couldn’t move. The door was locked so she couldn’t leave. Looking out the window she saw the flames in the stables, flames on the steps, flames on the other corridors of the castle. The entire place was burning. She could hear the glass breaking from other windows as the fire leaked in from under the door. Her heart raced in a panic, knowing she was trapped. The roar of the flames filled her ears, blocking out all other thoughts as she coughed, fighting for air. She was getting weaker, slouching against the wall as her eyes grew heavy.
Kai raced through the burning halls, kicking down the doors as he hunted her down. His plan had worked well so far, now all that was left was to get her out alive. His biggest problem was taken care of. She’d never have to worry about her husband again. He followed the set of stairs at the end of the hall. Flames licked the walls, leading the way to the last door. Taking a step back from the burning wood door, he kicked; nothing. He kicked again, feeling the satisfying break that allowed him in.
“Alana,” he called, glancing quickly around the fiery room, settling on the limp girl lying on the floor as the flames flickered dangerously close to her. Panic rose in his throat as he knelt beside her. He lifted her into his arms, rushing her down through the burning building, hearing the roof of her tower collapse behind them. Now all he had to do was keep her alive.