Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Shock

Alana paced the Great Hall, trying to erase the images from her brain. All the blood, his unmoving body, it was too much for her. Patrick shoved through the heavy doors, seeing her frantic state.
“Everything alright, m’ lady?” he asked. She jumped, looking up into his eyes.
“I—I don’t know,” she shook her head, clutching her skirts as she moved. He stayed in front of her, walking along. He took her shoulders in his strong hands. She looked up at his handsome features.
His green eyes locked on hers, “Calm down, Alana. I heard everything. Kenneth deserved it.” Patrick went on, “Kai doesn’t lose it like that unless something he loves is threatened.”
Alana took a step back. “Love?” she asked.
Patrick nodded. “Trust me; I haven’t seen him like this in years.” He gave a half smile. She looked down at her hands. “Kenneth will be fine; eventually. You have nothing to worry about.” He patted her shoulder and walked away, smoothing his red hair back.
Alana walked up to her room, watching out the window as Kai threw his limp brother over a horse, leading it out of the gates. The weight lifted off her shoulders. He was gone.
Darkness fell before Kai returned. She had eaten with the men; listening to their enthusiastic conversation. Afterwards she retired to their chamber, letting Margaret take care of her bandages. The old woman pulled the pins from her hair and helped her change for bed. She sat in bed, reading from where they left off earlier. The door opened quietly as he walked in, Alana straightened up, pulling the blankets out for him. His hair was wet; he was cleaned up, fresh from the bath. He didn’t say a word as he sat beside her in bed, resting his head against the wooden headboard. He rubbed his eyes, looking over at her.
“Is everything okay?” she asked quietly. He pulled her against him, looking into the fireplace without answering her question.
“I’m sorry for that. He shouldn’t have said those things.” He rested his cheek against her hair, feeling her relax into him. He looked down at her arm, draped across his stomach, seeing the various lines of stitches and his jaw tightened. If it hadn’t been for his brother, she’d be fine right now. “He’s gone, for good,” he said curtly.
She pulled away, “You mean he’s dead?” she asked, her eyebrows perked up with worry. His eyes widened at her expression.
“Unfortunately no, but he won’t be back.” He sank into the pillows, turning on his side to face her. She closed the book, feeling his eyes on her as she leaned to place it on the floor beside the bed. Alana laid back to face him, seeing a slight smile form. “I’m glad you’re here,” he whispered.
“I’m glad you brought me here,” she replied.
She clenched her teeth, looking away as they pulled the last set of stitches out. Her bruises were healed as were most of her less severe scrapes, but the stitches were the last thing left. Now she would be free of them for good. Faint scars were left behind as she walked away healthy and happy. Kai was off hunting with his men, leaving her alone for the day.
The day was spent wandering around to learn more about the place. Alana followed various maids around the grounds, seeing the stables and the kitchens, the orchards and the gardens. She walked around the inside, making her way to the library. Her mind wandered back to Kai as it always did when he was gone. Rain had started falling from the cloudy sky as she found a new book to start reading. The room grew colder as she started the fire, relaxing in one of the arm chairs, listening to the thunder.
The door burst opened, seeing Margaret frantically calling for her. She raced to the woman, being led down the stairs to see Patrick and one of the other men holding Kai up around their shoulders. His feet dragged behind them. He was a mess of blood and dirt, they all were.
“What happened?” she asked, rushing down to them. Patrick seemed the least injured of the three. Margaret ushered them into an empty room where they laid Kai out on the bed. He was delirious, his eyes rolled side to side, trying to hold on as the pain was taking over. He took her hand, pulling her beside him.
“We were hunting, we got ambushed. They fired before we realized what was happening. MacGregor got the worst of it.” Patrick said, “A couple of arrows hit him pretty hard, and he was shot too,” he held his arm close to his chest, gripping tightly as he bled.
“Shot?” Alana asked, keeping her eyes on Kai.
“Look,” Patrick lifted Kai’s bloody shirt, revealing the awful wound underneath. She covered her mouth as Margaret pushed her out of the way, ordering her to get the other maids. She rushed back behind the two girls, helping carry their supplies. Her body shook, praying he wasn’t being taken from her. Her mind came to a halt, realizing he must’ve been feeling this when he brought her back after the fire. Her stomach ached, threatening to let go. They entered the room, Patrick stood shirtless, still holding his injured arm. The other man sat in the corner, applying pressure to his leg.
Patrick left the room with Alana. One of the maids accompanied them, checking the gash on his arm. He seemed to feel nothing as she poured alcohol on the cut. He held her eyes, clenching his jaw. His red hair fell over his dirty face, making him look rugged. She stitched him up and walked back in the room as the other man limped out. “William,” he said, leaving her side to assist him. William waved him off, pushing his blond hair back.
“He’ll be fine. He’s passed out from the shock and loss of blood, but Margaret says he’ll pull through.” William said, glancing between the two. Alana remembered to breathe, sitting on the steps to keep from falling. She buried her face in her hands, wondering how this day turned so dark so fast. Minutes passed so slowly.
“I need a drink,” Alana said, standing to walk away. William pulled a flask from his pocket, handing it to her. She sat on the steps beside him, taking a swig, wincing at the strength of the drink. She held onto it, feeling it wash over her.
The men watched her, raising their eyebrows in unspoken conversation. She rolled her eyes, watching the door. It seemed too quiet. She couldn’t help but think something was wrong. She bit her lip, promising herself she wouldn’t leave his side ever again if it’d keep him from getting hurt like this. She couldn’t take this anticipation, waiting to see what would become of him. She took another drink, tearing her hair down from the intricate twists that piled on her head. Her curls tumbled back, instantly more relaxed. She stood to pace the hall, sipping from the flask. Her skirts swung along with her as she walked, pushing her hair out of the way.
Hours passed before the door opened again. Margaret emerged, holding something in her tiny fist. “He’s stable, just resting now. Would one of you like to hold onto this for him?” she asked, revealing the lead ball that was blasted through his body. Alana covered her mouth, stifling a shriek. Patrick grabbed it from her. Alana cringed, drinking again.
“Can I see him?” she asked, stepping forward.
“Afraid not, m’ lady, but I’ll let you know when he wakes up,” she said, returning to the room. Her heart sank, sitting on the steps with the men. Patrick tossed the ball to William, letting him examine the weapon that nearly killed Kai. She shook her head, rushing up the stairs to the safety of the library where she could lose herself in someone else’s tragedy.
She was shaken awake. Looking up she saw Margaret’s wrinkled face looking down on her. Immediately she stood, dropping the book in her lap to the floor. She’s fallen asleep in the library. She followed behind, barefooted, to the room where Kai was left to recover. Candles dimly lit the room as her eyes fell on his tired face. He stared at the fire, dismissing Margaret.
Alana moved beside him as his shaking hand reached for her. He was still so weak. “Sorry you had to see that. I didn’t mean to worry you.” He said, giving a faint smile. She refused the tears that came to her eyes, blinking them away furiously.
“Don’t be, I’m sure it won’t be the first time,” she shrugged, hoping he wouldn’t see how scared she was.
“I’ll be fine, I promise. I didn’t mean to wake you.” He looked up, seeing her disheveled hair and tired eyes. She shook her head, claiming it was nothing. She walked around the bed, crawling in beside him.
He turned his face to see her. She stared at him with her perfect green eyes as if she were afraid he’d disappear into thin air. Tired or not, she looked beautiful. The candlelight put a soft glow on her features. He took her in, seeing she hadn’t changed from her day clothes, her toes peeked out from the hem of her skirts, her stitches were gone. Nothing blemished her perfectly soft skin anymore which relieved him. She was no longer in pain. His side throbbed, reminding him that he was the injured one now. He knew she wasn’t going anywhere. Her eyes were closed as her breathing evened out. He relaxed against the pillows, drifting off beside her.