Status: wrtten as I go

A New Dawn

Pt. 5: Maria

I awoke in my bed, eyes swollen from the night before, alone, except for three long stem roses that sat on the pillow beside me. To my surprise when I went down for breakfast, Sam was already sitting there enjoying what looked like an omelet with a cup of coffee and reading a newspaper.
“Good Morning Ezra.” I said in a hushed voice to Ezra who was again standing by the entrance. Sam dropped his newspaper immediately and watched me as I walked around to the opposite side of the table, where I sat at the head.
“Good Morning.” Sam said, he made sure to clear his throat before so that the attention was on him.
“It’s a morning my dear, I don’t know about how good.” I said sipping the tea that was just brought out to me by what seemed like a very sad Myra.
“Oh but it will be a good morning-- it will be great!” He said a little too excited.
“Oh? What’s on your schedule today huh? A massacre? A town lynching?” Sarcasm was my best way of communication.
“No I believe that’s Friday.” I glared at him from behind my cup. “Today Ezra here has cleared my whole schedule so that I may spend the whole day, from dawn till dusk, with my wife.” He said adding a smirk of redemption at the end.
“Well that’s generous honey but it isn’t necessary.”
“Maybe not for you, but it is for me. Come on I have the whole day planned out, or we can do whatever you want, whichever you prefer.”
“Something tells me I don’t really have a choice in the matter.” I said rolling my eyes.
“Well that’s the beauty of it honey, you have a choice. I’m asking you to choose me.” He said. This time we made eye contact for the first time since I sat at the table and I could see the old Sam creeping back not only into him but into my heart. The same Sam with his smooth words, and glistening smile, that could convince me of anything. That is the Sam I fell in love with.
“Is it true Ezra? I have the whole day with my husband?” I said leaning back to look at him.
“Uh yes ma’am, the whole day.” He said surprised that I had involved him in the conversation.
“Well what on earth are we going to do with that much time on our hands Mr. Bordeaux?” I said in an awful country accent turning back my attention to Sam.
“Well I can think of a few things.” He said back in the same manner I did.
We set sail on Maria into the open seas that surrounded us. Maria was Sam’s sail boat; he had learned to sail in high school from his father and ever since then he became obsessed with it. He tells me it helps to clear the mind; that there is nothing more open and vast than the sea and that we in our minds should strive to be as open and vast as it is. Sam always had a way of speaking nonsense that in the end made the most sense out of everyone. It was this quality that enchanted me from the beginning.
I laid out on the deck, sun bathing in a black bikini and sun hat trying to forget all the events that happened the night before, and trying to ignore the responsibilities and conversations that lie before me. The truth was being out on the sea also helped me to clear my mind; I was always in a better, more peaceful state of mind after a sail. Something about seeing how much surrounds us, how little we actually are, helped me to see how small the issues in my life were. This was no secret to Sam; I am sure this was his reasoning for bringing me out here today. I looked up to a quiet Sam leaning against the railing, staring at me.
“What are you thinking?” he smiled. “from the moment I met you that has always been the question on my mind.” He said.
“They’re our thoughts for a reason Sam; it isn’t required of us to say them out loud.” I said closing my eyes back shut and turning back to the sun.
“Can I tell you a story?” He said waiting for my response before he started.
“Sure.” I said. He sat down beside me facing me. I looked back and one of the guards was now steering the boat.
“When I first asked you to marry me, I called my dad before.” He started, not looking at me but staring off into space. “I told him I was in love with you, and he goes ‘I know’” He chuckled after this. “I said ‘what if she says no dad?’, and he says ‘She won’t because you deserve her and she deserves you, and that’s just the way it goes son.’” He mocked his father in a deep proper voice, I laughed a little. “I remember thinking, he’s so wrong, the whole time I was preparing to ask you, he’s so wrong. I didn’t deserve you; you were always trying to find ways to make it better for others and I was always trying to find ways to make it better for myself.” He took a deep breath, still staring in to the sky. “I remember when you said yes I was so surprised; so I promised myself that I would no longer try to find ways to make it better for myself, but to find ways to make it better for you.” He said this time looking at me. “You’re the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning and the last thing when I go to sleep. I pray for you more than I pray for myself, I worry about you more than myself, I talk about you more than anything else in this world.” He began to laugh a little, and tears began to escape from my eyes. “The last thing that I want to do is see you hurt.”
“Then don’t hurt me.” I said, he used his finger to wipe the tears from my cheeks.
“Sir, we’re here.” Ezra said stopping Sam before he could speak.
“Come here, I want to show you something.” He said rising to his feet and holding his hand out to help me up. We went closer to the side of the boat and Ezra handed Sam and I binoculars. “You see that right there?” he asked. I put the binoculars to my face and saw a pretty large shed of some sort, outside it stood several men with guns in their hands and on their backs. “It was owned by the USR’s; it holds several cases of stolen ammunition, weapons, homemade bombs, things of that sort.”
“And we didn’t know about it?” I asked.
“No, of course we did.” He said chuckling a little. “Idiots built it right on the coast, like we wouldn’t see it. One of my men has long ago infiltrated the USR’s. He knows every move they make before they make it; he lets them plan it out for a little bit, and then he comes to us and tell us when and what’s going to happen. They were meeting and running this bunker for a few years before we decided to take it over.”
“So why did you?”
“My guy came back and said the next target was you.” I looked over at him quickly; eyes wide. “They had locations, times, they knew exactly what you would be doing and where you would be doing it and I could not understand how they had so much intel, until…”
“Victor Chung.” I said quietly.
“My guy hadn’t even known he was your guard, he’d never met him or been around him; he said his name and my heart dropped.” He said looking down and I could tell he was embarrassed; embarrassed that he had even allowed a traitor to infiltrate his home, and our lives. The safety and sanctity of those things were the most important to him. “Last night I acted out in emotion, and in fear, and I will never let it happen again except… when it comes to you. Because I can’t lose you… I won’t lose you.” He said looking back at me. I took a deep breath, wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his chest. How could I be mad at a man who always said the right thing?
“Your my best friend Sammy. I couldn’t lose you if I tried.” He laughed a little and planted a kiss on my forehead squeezing me tightly. “Could you just…” I said pulling away slightly to look in his eyes “Never slice someone’s neck at the dinner table ever again? Or at least tell me beforehand so I can wear a less expensive dress.” I said and this made him laugh hard, and I laughed with him.
“Oh don’t you worry about that, I saw Jean going in on that dress this morning.”
“Yea knowing Jean she’s probably working her weird voodoo magic on it right now.”
“Jean is not a voodoo witch!” Sam said appalled.
“I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if she was!” We both laughed loudly in unison. The thought flickered across my mind at how sick it was that we could be laughing at these things.
“Speaking of which what’s up with you and Myra?” He asked.
“No, what’s up with you and Myra,” I said, “Seems like she worked for you last night and not me”
“She does work for me.” He said smugly; I glared at him.
“That’s not fair.”
“What’s not fair?
“For you to put that in my face, at the end of the day there’s no point of her being around me if she has more loyalty to you than she does to me. I want a hire someone else, she can be on your service”
“Everyone in this country should have more loyalty to me than they do to you. That’s not me trying to be mean or unfair, it’s honest, it’s just how it is. Don’t blame Myra for doing her job.” He said cupping my cheek with his palm. “If you truly want someone else, I will find another place for Myra, but at this point I can’t just let her go, she knows too much.”
“I don’t want to talk about Myra.” I said taking a deep breath exhausted about all the matters I had settled in such a short time. I was being very mature today. He put his hands up and made a zipping gesture to his lips.
“How’s our bed…?” He said smirking.
“Cold…” I said catching on quickly.
“Hmm” Sam grunted low and husky. “I think we can fix that.” He said in a low whisper kissing me passionately after.

We exited the boat; making a quick jump to shore, rushing back to the house.
“That’ll be all Ezra” Sam said to Ezra at the door who nodded and stayed at the door not entering the house. Upon entrance Sam lifted off my dress up and over my head and picked me up in his arms, my legs wrapped around his waist. He walked to the couches sitting me on the edge and began to kiss down my neck, to my chest and stomach. I’m sure Myra and Jean along with Sam’s help were somewhere peering around a wall watching us but we did not care, nor did we ever. Sam began to untie the top of my bikini kissing and grabbing my breasts as he did so.
“Sir,” said Ezra loud and clear at the entrance to our living room. I quickly snatched my top back on and Sam startled turned around to address and Ezra and partly cover my nakedness.
“Ezra have you lost your mind!” Sam said wiping of his mouth and covering his boner as he did so.
“My apologies sir, but it seems we have a situation.” Ezra said looking around nervously, but I must say he kept his composure pretty well given the awkwardness of the situation.
“I thought I told you to handle it, anything else would have to wait, you incompetent fu—“
“I understand sir but it’s important. It needs your immediate attention.” Sam sighed heavily.
“It’s alright Sam, handle your business. I’ll be here.” I said a little disappointed but “I hid it well enough for Sam not to notice. I knew a day alone with my husband was unrealistic. Sam turned and placed a light kiss on my forehead, and then another one on my lips. He then left hastily with Ezra to his office.
I wondered what it could be now.