The Lunacy Fringe

Seventy

My dad decided against taking me to the doctor. Only because he didn’t think the wounds were deep enough to require stitches. But he called Crystal just to be sure, and she told him to keep an eye on it because I might need antibiotics. Thankfully it was enough to convince my dad that I wouldn’t need to go to school the next day.

So I was lying in my bedroom, silently plotting all the many ways I could murder Felix’s ex-girlfriend and make it look like an accident. I’d gotten lucky with the last one. Meg had been upset and cruel with words but never violent. And by the time we returned to school after summer break, she had a new boyfriend and apparently moved on. But Candy was a literal nightmare.

My dad came into the room while I watched the small orange TV he got me during my last case of the fringe. I rarely used it since getting the antennas to pick something up was a pain, but I mostly just needed the distraction. I was lying with my head against the headboard, my messy bun on top of my head, and I’d been in my pajamas since I got home.

“Hey, Kid. How are you feeling?” he asked, poking his head into the room. Once he got over the initial shock, he seemed to find it very amusing. I did not.

“I feel like crap.”

“Felix is here if you want to talk to him.”

“Yeah, of course.”

He stepped inside, and Felix followed after. My dad came right to me and put his hand against my forehead. He frowned.

“You’re feeling a little warm. I’m going to call your mother.”

“I’m sure it’s fine.” He didn’t seem convinced. He left us alone, and Felix took a moment to assess me before sitting on the chair. He wheeled it away from the desk, and I turned so I could face him.

“Why is it that you always seem to have the most random freak injuries?” he asked, smiling.

“My dad calls it the Lunacy Fringe.”

“What does that mean?”

“I have no idea. I looked it up in a dictionary once, but it had nothing to do with random accidents. That’s just what he’s always called it.” He smiled again.

“Sounds like a reasonable name for whatever it is.”

“Right. My life is practically a walking tragic comedy.” He just laughed. “I’m terrified of what’s going to happen next.” He rubbed his palm against my forehead. It felt soothing and cool, and I shut my eyes like a cat. His finger traced along the scar on my head.

“It might not be all bad,” he suggested. I opened my eyes again.

“Oh yeah? What do you think it’ll be?”

“Well—some of these crazy, random things weren’t bad. Moving here. Meeting Quinn.”

“And you.” He nodded.

“And me. And I’m—head over heels for you. So that can’t be bad.”

“You are?” He smiled.

“Of course I am. How could I not be?”

“You’re really ridiculously sweet.”

“Are you medicated?”

“No. Why?” His eyebrows furrowed.

“You don’t look too good.”

“I’m fine. I’m just not feeling really well. I might just be coming down with something all at the same time. You know how it goes.”

“I’m really sorry.” He leaned forward and kissed my head.

“Why?”

“Because this is my fault.”

“How is it your fault?”

“I shouldn’t have gone out with her in the first place.”

“Well, no argument from me on that one.”

“I swear I didn’t think she was capable of anything like this.” He was still very close until my dad walked up the stairs. He pulled away before we could get caught. My dad came in with a bag of ice.

“Here, brought you something to cool you down,” he said, handing it out. I had to use my uninjured arm to set it on my face. Even my eyes felt hot. “Your mom said you should probably get some rest, and if you’re not feeling better in the morning, we might have to take you in.”

“I’ll let you go then,” Felix said, standing.

“No, don’t go.” I reached out my hand to him. He took it and gently traced his fingers over the bandage my dad had wrapped around the bite.

“I’ll come check on you later.”

I could tell he wanted to kiss me goodbye, but my dad was close enough to keep him from doing it. He traced a heart onto my palm and then set it back down. He smiled one more time before disappearing out of the door. I sighed and shut my eyes. The ice pack felt really nice.

“So are you guys dating again or…?” my dad asked, taking my chair. He crossed his arms over his chest.

“Yeah, I thought you knew.”

“I had an idea, but you never said a word of it to me.”

“Oh. Sorry. I mean—he never outright asked. So I guess it just didn’t come up.”

“So is that a yes or no then?” I shrugged.

“He’s never actually asked me, but he calls me his girlfriend. So I’m gonna go with yes. Relationships are confusing.”

“Seems that way. So who is this girl anyway?”

“You mean you haven’t figured it out?” I opened my eyes and turned to him. He was smiling. He knew. “The girl Felix was with when we weren’t together.”

“I thought so. I just can’t believe she bit you. Who does that?”

“Story of my freaking life.” He smiled and patted my head.

“I’ll let you get some rest, Kid. Holler if you need anything. I’ll be back upstairs to check on you in a bit.”

“Alright. Will you let Felix up when he comes back?”

“Sure thing.”