Elitism

Chapter FOUR

First day of school wasn’t so bad. I didn’t make any friends, but I didn’t make any enemies. I believed this called for a celebration. And by celebration, I totally mean the foreseeable conversation where I would be getting a cell phone. In a modern world like today where 11 year olds had cell phones, I was 17 and had never owned one before.

Not that I really needed one, but then again I never really had much to call my own, so a cell phone was pretty cool. Plus, I would get to call my best friend whenever knowing she would pick up every time. I didn’t plan on making new friends, especially with the rich ones, but I was keeping an open mind. Making friends and building friendship could go a long way.

When I got home, I got more than I was expecting. Not only did I have a cell phone, the latest iPhone 5c in customized purple, my favorite color, but I also got a car! A freaking car! Man, moments like these where you totally take it for granted with the fact your father was a very rich man to afford this. It was a black 2014 Jeep Wrangler. She was a beauty.

“Why?” was the first word that came out of my mouth.

My father was standing next to me with the biggest grin. “Why not? I’m making up for the 17 years that I’ve missed. I figured you’d need a car for when you visit your friends in Jamestown,” he explained as though it was a simple presentation in a meeting with no room for arguments.

I heard that.

I smiled and was eager to take her for a ride. As if he read my mind, he cleared his throat and I saw the key dangling from his finger. He nodded and I took it. I jumped and put the key in the ignition. I breathed as I turned the key and she roared to life. Oh, it was a beautiful sound. I traced the steering wheel with my hands getting familiar already with her.

I adjusted the seat and the mirrors. I put my seatbelt on and I waved bye to my father before backing out of the driveway. Oh, hell yes!

I was tempted to just take off and drive to my hometown, but for unnecessary reason I felt obliged to at least let my father know where I was going. Things had been going well these last coupe days; naturally I thought it was too good to be true.

I pulled in a random parking lot in front of a convenience store. I took out my cell phone and called Sharon.

“Hello?” she answered cautiously.

“Sharon,” I smiled.

She gasped. “Spencer.”

“I got a cell phone,” I said quickly before she could ask me if I stole it. I didn’t blame her if she thought that. That was life with my mother most of the time. It was only natural that I got sucked into it.

“Oh my gosh, things have been dull lately since you left,” she carried on.

I laughed. “I told you I was the life of the party.”

“Yeah, yeah. In other news, Killian asked me out.”

I could practically hear her smile. “Finally!”

“He took me out on our first date last week. Spencer, it was so romantic and he made it feel like money isn’t everything, you know.”

“Yeah, I hear you. I’m really happy for you, Ron.”

“Oh, Spence, you’ll find someone. Hell, it took this idiot almost a whole year, which during those times I dated three guys.”

“Well, he shouldn’t have made you wait,” I chuckled. “Speaking of money, my dad got me a car.”

“Bitch, shut up!” she squealed. “You know what this means?”

“Hell yeah, road trip!” I yelled. I looked around to make sure no one heard me despite being in a car with the windows up. “I’m coming to visit everyone soon. I just need to get used to this place first.”

“Of course. Don’t rush. I’m not going anywhere. So tell me about your new family.”

“Oh, well…” I trailed off.

I got home in time for dinner. I had lost track of time talking to my best friend. I haven’t spoken to her in a few days, but it sure felt like a lot longer. I sat at my permanent spot next to Carmen for dinner.

Everyone was talking, how they day were, how school was, upcoming events, and it wasn’t a complete family dinner without a little drama: Lauren. She didn’t bother to excuse herself after her parents said no to a drive-in.

I almost laughed, but knew better to bite my tongue. A drive-in… one of the oldest-fashioned make-out places. These days, well, modernism certainly took its toll.

The next day, I was ready to head to school in my new car. Gosh, I was feeling good. This weekend I was going back to my hometown. I had already spoken with my dad about it and he was fine with it, so long I called him every now and then to let him know I was still alive.

As content as I was feeling, my guards were never down. Someone was following me in the crowd hallways of students. It started when I was at my locker in the language department and I caught eyes staring back at me before she broke contacts. What the hell was going on? I had never seen her in my life so I couldn’t have pissed her off.

I side stepped behind an open door of a classroom and waited. Within seconds she appeared peripheral vision and I grabbed her. She yelped and shook herself out of my grasp.

“Can I help you?” I asked seriously. I wasn’t playing games.

She fixed herself up before making eye contacts with me. “No, but I can.”

I raised my eyebrows, but said nothing. In many cases, it was better to wait it out instead of making drawing early conclusions. Though she better talk fast because I was losing interest by the second.

“I would personally like to invite you into our uppermost society,” she smiled.

I was officially annoyed.

“Not interested.”

“I understand. You’re new here, so you’re not familiar-“

I turned to leave, but she grabbed me by the arm. “You dare refuse? Perhaps, I wasn’t clear. Those who do not accept for who they are will suffer consequently.”

I used my free arm to knock of her hand away followed by a shove to her chest. She stumbled back, shocked.

“Like I said, not interested.”

“You’ll change your mind eventually. You’ll see,” she said before I disappeared into the crowd.
♠ ♠ ♠
whoo! the evilness is introduced!
next chapter will be even better (:
comment!
subscribe!