Status: Completed!

And Then There Was One

Chapter 4 - Reilly Smith

He never got to see his brother much. They were both enemies now in the same conference. And they didn’t feel their brotherly bond that used to be there long ago when they were young boys.

The younger Smith brother was in the Ontario airport, awaiting the arrival of his brother. Even though, Detroit was actually closer to their childhood city, Reilly had been the one to leave earlier and arrive first to the airport.

Reilly Smith stared at a beautiful bouquet of various flowers on a shelf in the main lobby area of the building. He was intent on trying to burn them with his sharp mind, using his “laser vision.”

Brendan Smith, his older and more experienced brother, walked up to him. “Reils, what are you doing, bro?”

“I’m trying to light these flowers on fire with my mind.” Reilly remained, intent on the bouquet in front of him.

His brother shook his head and patted him, frowning. “Come on, man, you can’t do that! What’s really going on with you? You’ve been rather distant, Lil Brother!”

Reilly heaved a heavy sigh and finally turned to his brother. Brendon had on a bright red Detroit Red Wings tank top. It made his arms seem much more bulky and Reilly rolled his eyes. Show off!

The newest Bruin player wore a loose, long sleeve black Bruins’ athletic shirt. He didn’t need to show off his muscles to the world. He dropped his head though. “It’s not that I’ve been distant, Bren, it’s just that we’ve never really hung out like brothers. We’ve always been fighting like bitter rivals and we’ve never really “hung out” together!”

Brendan seize Reilly by the wrist and pulled him forward into him, tightly squeezing the smaller player. He hugged Reilly for what felt like ages, until he finally let the Bruin go. Reilly took a step backward, gapping at Brendan, whose eyes were glittery with tears.

“Oh Reils, I’m so sorry. You’re right! We’ve never had anytime to be brothers since entering the NHL!”

Reilly nodded, awkwardly looking to the side. His mouth contorted into a weird rictus, as his brother embraced him again.

“Brendan!”

“We’ll hang out together then. You have my word!” the Red Wing spoke, justly. He wiped his eyes.

“But you were going to hang out with Danny Dekeyser and Pavel Datsyuk?!”

“They’ll understand. Family is more important than friends, Reilly. I don’t want a hockey rivalry to come between us and ruin our relationship with one another!”

“You’re right.” Reilly’s awkward rictus grew into an actual smile.

“So, what do you wanna do, Reils?”

“Well, Bren, let’s go out to a restaurant!”

“Do you want to invite mom and dad?”

“Sure!” Reilly was beaming largely now. He had always loved the time he had with his parents. Family time was always special to him and they were finally dipping into the tradition once more. He was so grateful to his brother for caring, that he flung his arms around his bigger sibling and hugged him extra tightly. “This means a lot to me, Brendan, thanks!”

“Hey what are families for if we don’t hang out together?”

The two walked out of the airport together. They got into a cab and headed to one of their favorite restaurants in Etobicoke, Ontario: Mezza Lebanese Kitchen. Their parents were going to meet them there. This was the place that Reilly and Brendan would always pick as their ultimate eating spot for special occasions. If their mother or father didn’t feel like cooking or making dinner that evening, they’d ask, “well, where do you want to go for dinner?” And the answer was always the same, in agreement and unison: Mezza.

When they were about halfway to the restaurant, Brendan frowned. He spun around in the backseat and glared out the back window.

“What’s wrong, Bren?”

“That black car has been following us, since the airport!”

“I bet it’s nothing. The driver is probably just heading to the same spot we are or so. I’m sure it’s no big deal.” But even Reilly Smith felt off. His stomach twisted into a knot. Why would they follow them?

Brendan wasn’t sold either. He leaned forward and told the cab driver to do anything in his power to lose the tailing black vehicle. The driver nodded and began the attempt to throw off the car.

Reilly turned around in his spot and watched the scene.

Soon the car had vanished from sight. Reilly let out a relieved breath, just as a sickening crunching noise came from Brendan’s side. Reilly shrieked, as the door behind him was swung open, roughly and two sets of hands grabbed him, pulling him from the cab.

Brendan was slumped over in his seat, bleeding from a cut on his temple, over his eye. He shook his head and regained his awareness. He snapped his head up, spotting his younger brother flailing about, wildly in the hold of two masked men, who dragged him away from the scene toward the black vehicle.

The Red Wing crawled out of the car, as quickly as he could and stumbled forward, trying to go after his brother and save him. The two masked men had bound Reilly’s wrists together in front of him and had gagged him with black electrical tape. The young hockey player was screaming into the tape, which muffled his desperate cries. He continued to thrash about, putting up a fight.

Behind Brendan, the cab car sat completely totaled by the head-on collision. The driver was alright, but he was throwing a Sidney Crosby hissy-fit. (Heehee) He didn’t dare to get involved with the men and help out the Smiths.

“Reilly! Reilly, no!” Brendan wailed, as he struggled valiantly to reach his brother, who was now shoved into the backseat.

He continued to call for his brother. But he dropped to the dark, hot gravel of the road. His vision blurred from the wound he had suffered from the accident.

Reilly was shoved into the Charger, finally. He glimpsed his older brother lying on the road, unconscious and he muffled a shout of pure heart-broken agony. The door slammed shut on him, trapping him in the car, which quickly launched off away from the scene.

Who had done this to the Smith Brothers and Why? Why would anyone want to hurt Reilly?
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwww, poor awkward little Reilly Smith....