Love Sick

Fifteen

Justin's Point of View
I have to clear my head. I had just waited in the shadows of Janet's hospital room, witnessing her accept a date with her long-time best friend, Cameron. I hadn't meant to put her in a hard place; I just wanted to tell her how I felt about her. I realize the short conversation I had just shared with her made the impression that I hated Cameron for wanting what I wanted, but I hope I can prove my true intention of wanting only the best for Janet. I walk out of the hospital and into the chilly night air as bright lights surround me. Wow, they're fast. The cameras seem to walk alongside me as I hear the questions being shouted at me.

"Justin, are you and Selena on one of your many breaks again?"

Don't even get me started about her.

"Justin, you've been hanging out around the medical center a lot lately. Is there some secret you'd like to share with us?"

Share a secret? What are we? Besties? Not a chance.

"I love your music, Justin. Truly talented."

Thank you. Now go back to your boss, who's paying you to say that to me.

"Justin, you seem stressed. You okay?"

Wow, look who's getting paid to show fake sympathy. Keep up the good work, man.

I know all they want is a reaction from me; an outburst or a demeaning comment to slip from my lips, but I hold my tongue and walk into a small coffee shop on the corner, knowing the employees will hold the slew of photographers back to protect the privacy and identities of the other customers. I sit at the booth away from a window. I pull out my phone to text Janet.

I'm sorry for the way I acted a few minutes ago.

She replies instantly.

Are you really that upset that I accepted a date with him?

No, I want you to be happy. - J

I type another message, but decide against sending it:
I want you to be happy with me.

***

Janet's Point of View
I give myself a once-over in the full length mirror at my home. My first date with Cameron is tonight. I smile as my eyes fall on my baby blue floral dress and gold necklace and bracelet. I finally examine my feet in the nude heels I had bought a week before. I curl my hair and add a layer of mascara as Judah tells me that Cameron is waiting for me downstairs.
"You look beautiful." He says as I reach the top of the stairs.
"Thanks."
I see my dad is in the living room, speaking with Cameron. I wait in the doorway as he stops talking and ushers me in. Cameron stands and smiles. "Hi, Janet." He says with a hint of shyness. His blue eyes shimmer in the light and his gray dress pants, crisp white dress shirt with a black tie and a gray blazer... suited him quite well. He was more handsome than I had remembered. As I kiss my dad on the cheek, Cameron whispers in my ear "You look great."
I blush as he opens my car door. He takes me to a sweet movie about best friends finally realizing they were meant for each other after ignoring the signs for so long. At the Danish pastry cafe a mile down the road, our conversation seems to be struggling. I ask a shallow question about his favorite fruit and he answers, redirecting the question back to me, even though he knows it's pineapple. I wonder what he wants to study in college, knowing fully well that his dream career is to own his own cell phone company. Finally he says what we are both thinking.
"Janet, we just know too much about each other to talk like this."
"Are you saying this won't work?"
"No, no. We're gonna make this work, we just need some time." He declares determinedly, sitting back in his chair.
I smile, happy that he wants us to work as badly as I do.
He drives away after walking me to the door, As I walk in, Judah glances at the clock. "He got you home ten minutes early. How'd it go?"
"The date went very well. We just need to find other things to talk about, that's all."
"I'm glad you enjoyed it, sweetie." Dad hugs me as I head up the stairs to my room, sifting through the texts Justin had sent me.

Hey what's up?

You okay? You aren't answering.

Oops, sorry. Is this your date night with Cameron?

I guess so. Text me whenever you have the chance.

I smile and text him, telling him that I was getting ready to sleep.

My phone buzzes and I read the two messages.

I had fun tonight. Things can only get better from here, right? Goodnight, Jan. - Cameron

I'm glad your date went well. You deserve to be happy. Goodnight, Janet Maria. Sleep well. - J
♠ ♠ ♠
I sincerely apologize to my readers for neglecting to update for so long. I got caught up in working and then I added college to that mix. Crazy. I may not be updating at the same regular rate that I have done in the past, but I hope that you'll stay with my story.