Status: A light story to get me out of my writer's block!

Killing Atlas

Prologue

Ever since I was a little girl, I knew exactly what I was going to be.

The first memory that comes to mind when I think back to all those years ago, was when I first turned seven. My hair was locked in pigtails, giddily bouncing with every turn of my head. My pretty pink dress sparkled like fairy dust, and my shoes clicked with each step against the tiles. I was caught in that awkward stage, where you aren’t quite cute anymore, but aren’t yet pretty either. My two front teeth were missing. My feet were too big, and my cheeks were still ripe with pudge.

Despite my lack of toddler cuteness, my mother was unfailing in her attempts to keep me as her baby girl. I was her little princess, much to my chagrin. At the age of seven, I was far from enjoying Disney movies and their token princesses. The way mother sighed in exasperation, and nibbled at her manicured nails told me she wished that I did. Unfortunately for her, dressing like a pretty little doll absolutely horrified me. It was for this very reason, that I was quite unmanageable. I was a daddy’s girl. Something I imagined was frustrating for my glamorous glitter mum.

Back then my dad wasn’t around too much. He was always busy with work that often stole him to other countries. You might think that due to a father’s constant absence, his seven year old daughter might resent him. Maybe she would be intimidated by the man she barely knew; especially when she discovered his secret behind the fireplace. But as my dad likes to say, and said even back then; I’m a special kind of girl. Unique. One of a kind. From the very beginning, I had been the apple of his eye. I adored him. He was my safety. My excitement. My happiness. But mostly, he was my normal.

It was on the day of my seventh birthday when I made my fateful decision, though I didn’t know it at the time. Dad had come home late the night before, and surprised me when I awoke. His smile was big and his eyes were gleaming with pride. In his hands was a single wrapped present.

Sometimes I wonder if dad hadn’t come home, whether my life would be much different. But the thought quickly vanishes before it can go further. Fate didn’t decide where my life would lead. Destiny didn’t whisper in my dreams.

I became who I am today because of one man. Whether he had made it or not to my seventh birthday, didn’t matter. It wouldn’t have mattered if he’d missed every one after that. Dad had a predetermined plan since the moment I’d been conceived. My name had been decided since before he’d met my mother.

I am his heir.

I am Autumn Crocus.