Status: Thank you for reading my story! Please let me know what you think about it.

Save Me from Myself

Face to face with the nightmare

Unfortunately, my sleep wasn't as smooth as I hoped. It was about 5:30 AM when I woke up screaming. I was having a terrible nightmare and everything seemed so real: I was crossing the street when a car almost ran over me. Then the driver got out of the car and said 'I came back for you!' with an evil smile. It was dark and I couldn't see his face, but he had the same voice as the guy who splashed me that night. This time he tried to stab me in the heart with a pair of scissors.
I couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to unpack all of my things. It was 7 AM when everything was in place. I looked out the window and I saw that the sun was finally ready to come out. I wanted to get familiar with the neighborhood, so I decided to go for a jog. When I stepped outside I felt like the town was coming back to life. There were people on the street and somehow I felt happy and safe again.
When I finished jogging, I stepped into a supermarket to buy milk, cereal and some fruits, then I went home to have breakfast. After that, I got dressed and called for a cab. I had no idea how to get to Mystic Falls High School, so I really needed it.
I got there in less than 10 minutes and it was almost 9 AM when I stepped into the principal's office. We talked a little about my job and then he took me to the practice field to meet my new students. I was a little nervous, but the girls were very nice and I had nothing to worry about.
The principal presented me as their new choreographer: "Good morning, girls! This is miss Madeleine Thorne and she's going to help you with your dance routine this semester. Just be nice to her and enjoy the courses." and then he left.
I started talking to the girls: "Hi, girls! You already know my name, so now I want to know yours and then we will start the course. And by the way, call me Madeleine or Maddy. I'm not much older than you."
The class went good and the girls seemed to enjoy my work, especially Elena Gilbert and Caroline Forbes. After classes Elena and I met at the front entrance to talk a little bit about the next cheerleading contest.
Just when I was about to finish talking to her, a well-dressed guy with dark brown hair and piercing blue eyes came towards me. "We live in such a small world." he said on a cheerful tone and came closer to me, looking me in the eyes.
His voice was familiar, but it was impossible for me to know him. I was new in town and I had never seen that guy before.
"I'm sorry, have we met before?" I asked looking surprised.
"Sure we have. I recognized you by your long curly hair and I'm pretty sure you had the same backpack last night when you almost accused me of trying to kill you." he replied with a smirk on his face.
At that point I realized he was the one who splashed me the night before.
Elena looked at him with dark eyes: "What the hell happened? What did you do to her, Damon?" she asked on a worried tone, letting me know that she knew this guy.
"Calm down, Elena. I didn't do anything. Our first encounter didn’t so go well. That's all." he responded, still smiling and looking at me. "What do you say about a fresh start? I'm Damon Salvatore." he said, offering his hand.
"Madeleine Thorne!", I replied, leaving him with his hand in the air. I wasn't going to shake this guy's hand. I told him my name because I was trying to act polite in front of Elena. Anyway, if he was a student here, he would easily find out my name.
He took his hand back, then smiled and said: "Well, maybe where you come from, people hug each other instead of shaking hands." and then he came closer, trying to hug me. I crossed my arms together around my chest letting him know that I didn't want to hug him, so instead he kissed me on my right cheek.
I froze for a moment and then I looked him in his blue eyes and said "You're very bold, mister Salvatore. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the guys in this high school. I wouldn't want to have you as my student."
He smiled again and said "Don't worry, I don't study here. I'm too old for high school. I'm here to talk to my brother."
I tried to look very serious when I replied "I don't see your brother around here, do you Elena?"
She just gave him a dark look and said "Stefan is on the football field. I don't think he can talk to you righ now."
"Then I'll spend some quality time with these two beauties standing in front of me while I'm waiting for him." he said, looking at me and then at Elena.
We both sighed and he continued to ask me questions: "So, you're a teacher, huh?"
"I'm a choreographer. I'm helping the girls with their cheerleading routine." I replied.
"But still, you look very young." he said a little surprised.
"Well, I recently finished college." I added on a careless tone. I didn't want to talk to him anymore, so I told goodbye to Elena and then I wanted to go home, but he followed me.
"So, you're a dancer, huh? I had no idea that there is a college where you can learn cheerleading moves." Damon said.
"I don't have a degree in dance, I only took some courses for a few years. I graduated from a different college." I answered without looking back at him.
"What college did you graduate then?" he wanted to know, but I cut him off: "Look, I had a long trip and a horrible night, so I'm not in a mood to chat. I just want to go home and get some rest."
"Let me drive you home then. I parked my car near the high school's back entrance." he said.
"No, thanks." I replied on a careless tone and then I left. After a few minutes I looked back and he wasn't following me anymore.