Status: Please message me if you guys feel like I’m starting to write characters OCish. Also I would like some constructive feedback on how my writing it. What do you like about it? What do you think I can improve?

Lonely Souls

Chapter 5: A Prayer to Fill the Void

~~~Hisoka’s P.O.V.~~~

I felt like I had been shot through the heart. There wasn’t pain. Not yet at least. I was numb. There was nothing to feel from the shock of the situation. But it did feel like there was a hole. I couldn’t cry. I couldn’t scream.

But the soldiers stood up and I asked, “What happened?”

“There’s still an investigation going on but they believe that it was an attempted robbery and that your family got in the way.”

I swallowed. “Thank you for coming. Now, please leave.”

“Of course, ma’am.”

They walked passed me and out the door. Haruhi put her hand on my shoulder and I turned towards her. Her eyes were welling with tears. I was the one who should be crying, but I was the only one who wasn’t. I couldn’t handle this pity and sadness right now. I headed to Haruhi’s room and went through my stuff. I grabbed some money, my hat, and my sneakers.

I returned to the main room and pulled on my sneakers and adjusted my backpack, stuffing my money in one of the pockets. I put my hat on as I stood up. “Don’t wait up for me. I probably won’t be back until late at night.”

I headed out the door and I was almost to the stairs when the Host Club blocked my path. In unison the twins inquired, “Where you going, Hissy?”

I clenched my fists and took a deep breath. Just as I was about to shove past them, Haruhi and Ranka joined us. “Hisoka, please don’t go! We’ll help you get through this.”

I turned back to my cousin as she began to cry. Tamaki saw her tears and ran wrapped his arms around her. “Hisoka, what have you done to Haruhi?”

“Stay out of this, Tamaki! Haruhi, I can’t be here right now. I-I’m numb. I can’t feel anything! I need to work this off! If I don’t I won’t feel anything. I-I need to come to terms that I will never see them again. I can’t accept that they’re...”

I couldn’t say it. If I said it, then I would admit that it was real. And I wasn’t ready for reality. Ranka hugged me and kept trying to get me to follow him back to the house, but I was unmoving. Finally I pushed him away and ran down the steps. They screamed my name but it all fell on deaf ears. I didn’t stop running until I had to be at least a mile away.

I walked. And I walked... and I walked further still.

~~~ Third person P.O.V.~~~

Hisoka ran past everyone as Ranka and Haruhi called after her. But they didn’t make a move to go after her. Instead when they finally stopped calling after her, Ranka and Haruhi started crying. Not knowing what else to do, the Host club encircled them in a group hug.

When the Fujiyokas finally calmed down enough, Tamaki asked the question that was on everyone’s mind. “What was that about?”

“H-Hisoka’s family was killed yesterday. She needs to be alone right now.”

Everyone looked the way she went. Honey began crying. “Poor Hisoka-chan!”

Ranka was the next to speak. “I-If you see her and she’s willing, please take care of her.”

Everyone nodded their agreement. Haruhi then looked to everyone and asked, “C-could you help make an altar for her family?”

“Of course, Haruhi. We’d be honored.”

~~~Hisoka’s P.O.V.~~~

I spent most of the day walking aimlessly. I didn’t think most of the time. Or feel. Not that I wanted to. I was forced out of my stupor but the sound of a bell chiming. Looking around, I realized that I had managed to walk myself to the local Shinto temple. Perhaps this was fate.

This was the place to be for me to find some semblance of closer. I made my way to the Asking Well. I took out a few yen and placed it in the bowl on the ledge of the well. I rung the giant bell and clapped my hands three times. In a whispering voice I asked the gods, “Please take care of my family, especially my little brother, Yoichi. They were all taken from me before their time. They didn’t deserve to pass; they were all good souls. And please give me the strength to live my life. A-and help me fill this void in my heart, even just a little. I don’t think I can survive without this in me.”

After my prayers to the gods, I continued to walk aimlessly. The entire time I walked, I was completely unaware to the sky darkening with clouds. It wasn’t until the ground around me was being pelted by raindrops that I looked up towards the sky and around at my surroundings. I didn’t know where I was. It looked up-scale and very rich.

As I looked up towards the dark heavens that was when I the numbness I felt disintegrate with the flash of lightning and the rumble of thunder. The pain hit me with a vengeance. I let a scream pass my lips as I fell to the ground sobbing. I laid there for God knows how long, crying and becoming soaked in the torrential rain. I was cold, but it helped ease some of my pain.

Then I saw the headlights of a car come towards me then stop on the road besides the greenbelt that I was laying on. The car door opened but I didn’t care. I was in so much pain. It wasn’t physical pain.

That, I could have dealt with. No, this was emotional and much more damaging. I looked up when someone loomed above me. “Come on, Hisoka-san. You’re going to freeze to death if you stay out here.”

“Leave me alone, Kyoya. I-I’ll be fine.”
He sighed and I saw his glasses glare as his pushed them up on the bridge of his nose. “Fine. Then you leave me no other choice.”

I looked at him curiously but I didn’t have a lot of time to ponder his meaning before he bent down and picked me up. He lifted me up with ease and I honestly tried to struggle against him. But my efforts soon failed when I realized how cold I really was. And he was really, really warm. Instead I clung to him like my life depended on it. And in a way I suppose it did.

Kyoya carried me to the car and placed me inside as he sat down next to me. He pulled out a blanket and covered me with it. Despite my best efforts, I continued to cry, just not as loudly. He pulled out his phone. “Hello, Ranka?---- Yes. I have her.---- She’s fine for the most part. I don’t think she should come home quite yet---- Here me out. There is a bad storm out and you’ll already have a lot on your plate with Haruhi. And it looks like to me that Hisoka-san is not quite ready to come home you either. Besides, my home is closer and she needs to warm up. It will take us at least half hour to return her to you. Whereas my home is less than five minutes away. I will bring her home tomorrow morning.---- Goodnight, Ranka.”

He clicked the phone off as the car drove off. I was still shaking under the blanket and Kyoya turned the heat up. The entire ride he didn’t say anything to me. He didn’t try to touch me or comfort me in anyway. I was thankful that. I simply wasn’t ready for comfort quite yet.

We stopped at the Oturi house and he insisted up on carrying me once again. This time I didn’t resist. I was too tired and too cold to do anything other than lay there in his arms and cry lightly. He carried me through the house. We didn’t run into anyone so I looked around. It was very modern. There wasn’t any family pictures and most everything was white. There was nothing personal to make it a home. It all seemed so lonely to be in this house.

Finally we entered a room. In was just as impersonal as the rest of the home. In the very center was a bed. My backpack was placed on a clean desk. Kyoya placed me on it and went to a set of drawers near by. He pulled out a large t-shirt. “This may be too big for you. I’ll let you change into it and I’ll have the maid wash and dry your clothes for tomorrow. I will be back in a few minutes to get them.”

And with that he left the room to let me change. I sat and took off my clothes. I was hesitant to take off my bra but that was also soaked. After taking that off, I stared at myself in the full-length mirror on the wall. There I saw a 16 year old girl that was slightly overweight for her size with a pair of swollen mismatched eyes. But more importantly I saw someone who was in pain and was more alone than ever.

I allowed myself a few more tears before I put my wet clothes on a chair and put on the over-sized shirt. It smelled nice and was relaxing. It smelled familiar somehow, but I couldn’t place the scent.

Exhaustion became too much and I climbed into bed and fell asleep almost instantly. But it wasn’t a dreamless sleep like I was hoping for. No, I had dreams.

----I was running down the street towards my house. The streets were abandoned and I was running barefoot. I had to get home to warn them. Or to stop that murderer. But the more I ran, the farther home seemed to get. Then suddenly I was home.

And I was surrounded by broken glass and blood. I sobbed from the pain and from the loss. I was freezing cold.

But slowly around me, everything began to fade. It all faded into a calming darkness. I felt as if I was being surrounded by a presence. If I felt warm. It was comforting, calming, and most of all, it made me feel safe. And maybe possibly loved?----
♠ ♠ ♠
Due to the comments and possible tears from my readers, I have worked over time to get this chapter y’all. This chapter and the next are going to be quite dreary but I promise it will be worth it. Please comment. If I start making Characters (like Kyoya or Honey) seem OCish, please tell me and I will take care of it. Thanks!