Status: Active

Miserably Loving You.

Gage

Leighton fell asleep on me again.

And when I got home I may or may not have squealed like a little girl and did a little happy dance, and fell back on my bed with a dramatic sigh and stared at the ceiling thinking about him most of the night until Violet text me and we started to text back and forth until we fell asleep.

I smiled as I thought back to last night when Violet was in a fowl mood and it was just me and Leighton. Even though I'm not that great at video games I loved playing with Leighton. I could definitely add that to my routine.

Not necessarily "playing video games with Leighton", but just hanging out with him...without Violet around.

I love Violet dearly. After all she's my best friend, but sometimes it'd be nice to just hang out with Leighton alone. And do...guy things. I mean only if he wanted to.

Just like every other morning after I finish showering and getting dressed and everything, and after I stand in the mirror for about an hour (totally exaggerating here) daydreaming about Leighton; I go downstairs and eat a small breakfast, if my mom's there (my dad is usually gone by the time I wake up) we talk before I kiss her goodbye and head next door.

When I'm standing in front of the McQuin's house, I knock on the door and wait for Violet to let me in. But this time instead of Violet I'm face to face with Leighton.

I stand there for a moment with wide eyes and flushed cheeks just staring at him-I don't even hear what he says as his lips move.

I finally snapped back into reality and stuttered out a "good morning", my face turning two shades darker than it was before. Leighton chuckled as he stepped aside to let me in.

"Sorry I just-I was expecting Violet to open the door, and uh...yeah. Sorry."

Leighton laughed again. "Yeah, she went back upstairs for something," he replied as he headed back to the kitchen.

I was about to go up to Violet's room, but instead I followed behind Leighton.

Ms. McQuin was there too and I gave her a hug as usual and sat at the table with Leighton.

"Did you sleep well last night?" I ask. I hope he didn't find it annoying. I just really cared about him.

He shrugged. "I slept fine," he answers after he swallows the food in his mouth. "I just find that I sleep better with you."

I gape at him, my whole face on fire before I look down at my lap with a small smile on my face. He's said that before but it just sounded a little more intimate this time. Obviously he didn't mean it like that though.

When Violet finally joined us we left for school.

"Sometimes he's an asshole," Violet huffs as we head to our first class.

"Who?"

"My stupid brother," she replies.

I look at her confused at her sudden outburst, but it is Violet. She was probably still upset about last night. "Why do you say that?" I ask, ready to defend him.

She shrugs. "Because he is!" she exasperates. "I mean I love him, but sometimes I wanna punch him."

I laugh and roll my eyes. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way. "That's usually how it is with most siblings."

Violet shrugs and asks, "Do you wish you had siblings?"

It was my turn to shrug. "You and Leighton are like siblings to me." But thank whatever deity out there that we're not, because that would be really weird having a crush on my brother...

Violet laughs. "Leighton's the annoying older brother and I'm the awesome, beautiful sister. Or we could be twins actually!"

I just laugh but it quickly stops when I make eye contact with one of the guys who used to bully me. It wasn't the leader but one of his croons.

I froze and Violet turned around to look at me when she realized I wasn't beside her anymore.

"What's wrong?" she asks with concern evident in her voice.

I can't find it in me to form coherent words I just continued to stare at the guy nervously.

I know they haven't done anything or said anything to me since Leighton did whatever he did, but what if they went back to their old ways.

What if what Leighton did to them didn't really phase them and they we're planning something worse than before?

Violet finally looks in the direction I was staring in and glares in that direction. She stood in front of me protectively. I would've made a comment about it if I wasn't so scared right now.

Because really what could she do? Wed both get our asses kicked.

"Don't even think about it," she sneers.

The guy just smirks and his friends laugh. They start walking in our direction and my heart begins beating fast.

I tense and hold my breath and somehow Violet doesn't even flinch.

When they walk by us they don't say anything, but the guy who used to bully me harshly bumped his shoulder into mine as they passed. His friends snickering behind him.

"You fucking jerks!" Violet yells after them. Violet turned to me with a small smile. "You okay?"

"Don't tell Leighton."

She gives me one of her looks but nods her head slowly.

- - - - - - -

"Leighton guess what!" Violet immediately says as we make our way to the table he usually sits at during lunch.

"What?"

I give Violet a look and she lets out a sigh. "Nothing," she says. "Lets go get lunch!"

Leighton gives us both a look and I give him a smile that I hope is reassuring before we follow Violet to the line to get our lunch.

We silently retrieve our food and head back to the table. The atmosphere is a little bit tense until finally Leighton breaks it.

"So, uh I was invited to a Halloween party and thought you guys might be interested."

I think he was trying to break the tension. This causes me to smile softly to myself.

Violet gasps and I look over at my best friend to see her eyes lit up. Of course she'd be excited about this. I mean its not like I wasn't. I love Halloween but I didn't care much about the party, but if Leighton was going than hell yeah I was interested.

"Oh my god! We're going right, Leighton? We have to go! And oh we'll need costumes!"

Violet wouldn't shut up about the party all day. I didn't mind. First of all, I was used to hearing her talk on and on and secondly it distracted her from what happened earlier.

Leighton was already in the car when we walked up and as soon as we got in Violet asked him to take us costume shopping.

"Violet, can't we do that later. Leighton's probably tired and-"

I hear Leighton chuckle and I look at him through the mirror. "It's fine, Gage. I'm okay. I can take you guys."

"Uhm, okay. If you're sure."

We end up going to one of those Halloween stores that only show up during this time of the year.

"Thank you for bringing us here. You didn't really have to. It's not like we had to come right away," I say as to Leighton as we get out of the car.

"Relax, Gage. It's honestly not a big deal," he laughs as he lightly bumps his shoulder against mine. Not in the rough way that jerk did at school.

Violet pulled me away from Leighton before I could say anything. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

"What are you going to dress up as?" she asks and I shrug.

Something that'll make Leighton really notice me.

"What about you?" I ask.

"The same thing most girls dress up as obviously," Leighton replies.

"Fuck you," Violet huffs and I can't help but let out a quiet giggle. "Everything he says and does isn't funny,Gage."

Violet is pouting, but I hardly pay attention to her. I don't laugh at everything he says. Do I? If I do its not intentionally I just think its funny.

Dammit, I'm just over thinking things again.

Violet pulls me out of my thoughts when we get inside the store and she's dragging me every where.

She went through several costumes and still wasn't satisfied with anything. So, I sort of strayed away and browsed in an area nearby.

I spotted some cute cat ears and sat them on my head as I continued browsing.

"I think you'd make a pretty damn cute cat."

My eyes are wide and I turn around quickly to see Leighton standing behind me. "I-uhm...I uh...thanks? I think?" I stammered.

"Awww, Gage! You're so adorable with those little cat ears!" Violet gushes.

My cheeks are red and I bet I look far from "adorable" or "cute" right now.

"You should definitely go as a cat!"she grabs the tail that was hanging up next to the ears. "Now come on and help me pick out my costume!"

Violet skips away and I just stand there staring after her.

"What's wrong? Leighton asks and I look up almost forgetting that he was standing there.

"Oh, nothing. I just don't have money with me so I'll come back later and get this," I say getting ready to put the tail and ears back, but Leighton takes it out of my hand.

"It's okay, I can get it for you."

"No, its okay you don't have to."

"I really don't mind, Gage." How many times has he said that today exactly? I just didn't like burdening him.

I sigh and follow after him as he heads in the direction Violet went. "Are you getting your costume?"

"Nope, I have everything I need at home."

"Guys, come on I need your help!" Violet called.

Leighton rolls his eyes and I just smile. As we walk down the small aisle my hand softly brushes against his and my cheeks are heating up and my heart hammers in my chest.

I don't look at him and pretend like it didn't happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long to get out.
Let us know what you think!

And thanks so much to the following for their lovely comments:
Alexeerumis
starkidfankid04
go.effin.nuts