Sequel: Union

Family Reunion

The Diagnosis

At the hospital Billie Joe and Tre had their injuries quickly fixed up and put into casts. Mike and Rose were wheeled off into the ICU to see how severe their injuries were.

Tre and Billie Joe sat there for three hours without a word about what was happening. Billie Joe thought he should call Adrienne and tell her what happened but he was still very angry at her.

Just then a doctor came back out from the ICU where he had been examining the two car crash victims with several other doctors.

"What's happening?!" Billie Joe said and he jumped up from his seat. Tre would of as well but his leg was too sore.

"How's Rose!?" Tre demanded to know.

"Mike has had sustainable injuries. It's hard to know what kind of pain he's in until he wakes up, which I'm sure he will tomorrow morning. He is still very intoxicated, he has a minor skull fracture and he's dislocated his shoulder," the doctor said.

"What about Rose!?" Tre demanded again.

"Given her condition Rose is doing remarkably well. She needs a skin transplant and right now we are trying to locate a donor for her. She smashed her jawbone on impact and there is also some glass imbedded in her scalp," the doctor did not get to finish before being interrupted by Tre.

"So she's alive?!" Tre asked.

"Yes she's alive... " the doctor said.

"Oh my god!" Tre shouted and he jumped up forgetting all about the pain in his leg. "She's alive! Oww... " he said and he sat back down. "Thank you so much... " Tre smiled but then remembered she was pregnant, "She's pregnant is there going to be a problem?" Billie Joe also looked at the doctor; he too worried for the child's safety.

"Yes you told the nurse she was only about five days pregnant. Well the fetus hasn't even begun major development yet. So unless she has suffered major damage to the womb I don't see that there should be any problems. We will run some tests though and see if there is any internal scarring."

"Thank you," Tre said nodding his head feeling enormous relief.

"There is one more thing... " the doctor said.

"What... .what one more thing?" Tre said not liking the sound of it.

"She's in a coma... we are unsure when she will come around and wake up. It could be tomorrow, it could be in a few days, or it could be a few months... " the doctor trailed off.

"A few months?" Tre said.

"A few months?" Billie Joe said.

"Yes, a few months. I'm sorry, I hope for both your sakes that she comes around quickly," the doctor said sympathetically. "If she doesn't wake up by tomorrow afternoon we will have to put her on a feeding tube."

"Can I see her?" Tre asked.

"I'm sorry, but until we get her a skin donor and have her all bandaged up the only people that are going to set eyes on her are the doctors."

Tre nodded his head and he accepted it. "Okay... "

"Can we see Mike?" Billie Joe asked.

"Yes you may. He's been wheeled out of ICU and taken to Room 331."

"Thank you," Billie Joe said and he stood up.

Tre tried to stand up but he was in so much pain he yelled, "Can somebody please get me a fucking wheelchair!?"

Billie Joe laughed gently and found one in the hall and some how managed to push it towards Tre with only one hand. His other wrist was swelling up bigger then Mt. Everest.

Tre looked as Billie Joe brought him a wheelchair and with his uncasted right arm he heaved himself onto it. "Oh, yeah thanks for the help!" Tre shrieked at the nurses.

Billie Joe then began to push the back of Tre's wheelchair with one hand and his knees. Tre pushed the wheelchairs wheel with his right arm and it didn't make things any easier for Billie Joe who was trying to help. The wheelchair kept steering off to the left. "Fuck!" Tre yelled feeling completely disabled.

"Sir, please stop swearing. Can I help you?" a nurse finally asked.

Tre was crying lightly and he sniffled and wiped his eyes with the back of his working arm. "Please... take me to Room 331," Tre said calming himself.

"Of course sir, you've been through a lot tonight," she said sympathetically.

"Tonight? How about all week long," Tre sighed.

Billie Joe followed the nurse who was wheeling Tre and they got to an elevator. In the elevator the nurse pressed on the third floor button. Billie Joe was anxious to see his friend, he was just relieved to know that Mike had made it out alive.

As they arrived on the third floor Billie Joe frantically began looking at the room numbers. "Room 311, Room 321, Room 331...this is it!" he shouted.
He quickly but nervously went into the room. All of the four beds in the room had closed curtains around them and Billie Joe was clueless about which one Mike was behind. "Where is he?" Billie Joe asked the nurse.

She pulled Tre's wheelchair up beside a closed curtain and opened it. There Mike Dirnt lay unconscious with a tourniquet wrapped around his head and a cast around his shoulder.

Billie Joe stared at his best friend and shook his head with disbelief at the sight, "I knew he could do it. Mike's always been the strongest. Just wait until he wakes up and finds out we were in a car crash."

Tre sat looking at Mike from his wheelchair which was considerably lower then the hospital bed where he lay. "You know besides the bandages and the few bruises he really doesn't look any different then when he was passed out earlier."

"Yeah..." Billie Joe said and he was just glad that they had all made it out alive. "I feel bad our driver died though, if he wasn't driving so fast this never would have happened."

"Yeah, poor Rose, if that driver was still alive I'd kill him!" Tre said angrily thinking about how she would be safe and unharmed if it hadn't of been for that irresponsible limousine driver.

"Yeah well you're lucky he did himself in," Billie Joe said.

"Lucky? Hell no, I would get great pleasure in watching him squirm as I strangled him to death!" Tre said loud enough for all the patients in the room to hear.

Some of the other patients actually became scared thinking that someone was going to strangle another patient behind closed curtains.

Tre and Billie Joe both fell asleep by Mike's bed side. Billie Joe had been given a chair by a nurse and his head was rested on the bed beside his best friend. Tre had fallen asleep in his wheelchair and was more then a little uncomfortable to say the least.

***

When Tre awoke in the morning Billie Joe was still asleep. But to his surprise Mike was wide awake. "Oh hey Mike... " Tre said and then tapped Billie Joe to wake up. Billie Joe slowly lifted his head off the bed and looked up at Tre, "What? Is Mike awake yet?"

"Yep," Mike said.

Billie Joe jumped and looked at his friend, "Oh my god, Mike man!"

"Hey Bill. I just woke up all confused. Why am I in the hospital? What happened?" Mike asked.

"Oh my god you don't even want to know. We got into a car crash last night..." Billie Joe said.

"We did? How come I don't remember anything?" Mike questioned.

"You were drunk, man. You passed out on the floor of the limousine on the way back home. And the limo hydroplaned and crashed into a truck," Billie said.

"Oh my god, what happened to you guys?" Mike asked concerned.

"Tre broke his arm and dislocated his leg. And I broke my wrist and two ribs," Billie Joe sighed.

"Oh my god that's harsh," Mike said and he noticed Tre was being awfully quiet.

"Yeah it is man, I still haven't told Adie either," Billie Joe said.

"Why are you mad at her? Rose pulled me aside at the club last night and asked me if I knew what was up," Mike said. "Oh my god, Rose! What happened to her?" he said realizing his friends hadn't mentioned the young eastern woman yet. "She's not dead is she?" he said with a coldness in his voice.

"No," Billie Joe said, he shook his head and then looked at Tre expecting him to tell the story.

Tre found it hard to tell the story but he managed. "She was thrown from the car on impact," the drummer paused, allowing a moment of emotion. "She skinned a lot of her body and she got some glass in her head..." Tre said sounding seemingly numb and not using technical medical terms.

"She's in a coma," Billie Joe finished for his drumming friend.

"Fuck..." Mike said.

"Yeah no shit," Billie said.

"So, what about the baby?" Mike asked.

"The doctor said the baby should be fine, but I still have to find more out. They haven't let me see her yet. They were going to do some overnight surgery because she needed a skin transplant," Tre said.

"I'm so glad I didn't see the way she looked at the crash scene," Billie Joe said.

"Yeah me too," Mike agreed.

There was a long silence before Tre looked up and into the eyes of both of his friends. "I did," he admitted..

"I'm sorry man," Mike said.

"Yeah, that's okay. She'll get better. I know she can pull through. I'll wait however long it takes for her to wake up," Tre said.

Mike and Billie Joe both looked at each other and smiled. It was so obvious to them that Tre was seriously in love with her. It was almost a revelation, not everyday did one of them fall in love.