Sequel: Union

Family Reunion

The Best Man

"Where's Sarah?" Tré finally asked.

"She's in recovery," Adrienne answered.

Billie Joe looked at Tré with a weird face as if to say, 'why the fuck do you want to know about Sarah?'

"Yeah... I just don't want to be bumping into her anytime soon," Tré said.

"Oh... I see," Billie said and turned and rolled his eyes. Maybe he did hate Sarah, but the thought of his friend hurting his family was more then a little bit disturbing.

Mike was still slightly shaken over everything he had witnessed and he was keeping more silent and to himself. Billie Joe noticed and he nudged his taller friend slightly. "What?" Mike asked.

"Man, are you okay?" Billie asked.

"Yeah, sure man I'm fine," Mike said.

"Okay... you sure?"

"Yeah... " Mike answered again.

"Hmm... " Billie sighed.

"Fuck my blood pressure must be through the fucking roof right now," Tré said.

"Yeah tell me about it," Mike added then went back to being quiet.

'Doctor what's going on with the infant right now?' a nurse was heard saying in the ICU. 'He has... ..and they tried... .' The doctor said distortedly.

"Fuck! I can't hear," Tré snapped. Tré did everything to try and stop thinking about the current situation. He twiddled his thumbs, gritted his teeth, and even tried smashing his head against the wall. Nothing could make him forget.

A half an hour later a young doctor finally came out of the ICU. Tré stood up quickly, "What's going on?!"

"Ah, sir are you the father?" the doctor asked.

"Yes... yes I am. How are Rose and the baby?!" Tré demanded again.

"Rose is doing fine sir. We managed to stop the hemmoriging, we gave her a blood transfusion and now she's been sedated and will probably be asleep until tomorrow morning," the doctor replied.

"Aw, fuck that's wonderful!" Tré said and he jumped towards the doctor and gave him a hug and a kiss.

"Sir... there is one other thing I'm afraid," the doctor said.

Tré slowly backed away from the doctor and started shaking his head slowly like he knew what was to come. "What... what... what about our baby?" he said slowly.

"Sir, the child was a month premature. When he got here he had already not been breathing for several minutes. The paramedics were giving the infant oxygen, but his lungs were rejecting it. He had very underdeveloped lungs and they collapsed under the pressure of the forced oxygen. He went into cardiac arrest... ..and we tried everything we could....but I'm sorry," the doctor said slowly.

Tré covered his mouth as he turned away. "Oh shit... " he gasped.

Billie Joe, Mike and Adi all were just as shocked. "Oh my god... " Billie Joe said.

"Fuck... " Mike said tilting his head down.

"Oh no... " Adrienne said and she turned to hug her husband.

"Tré man... at least we didn't lose Rose," Mike said and he lifted his head and walked over to his friend and hugged him.

Tre started crying on Mike's shoulder. "Fuck... I should have known this would happen. I put Rose under so much stress; this is all my fault. There is a God, and he knows I've been an asshole."

"Tré, don't say that," Mike said.

"This is how God is punishing me," Tré cried.

"He's not punishing you," Mike said.

Billie Joe was comforting his wife who was also crying. "She's going to be so sad when she wakes up," Adrienne cried.

"I know babe... " Billie said as he rubbed Adi's back.

"I'm very sorry... " the doctor repeated who was apparently still standing in the hallway.

Tré brought his head up from Mike's shoulder and looked at the doctor. "Well... thank you for saving my wife... " he said.

"Absolutely, your welcome," the doctor said.

"What's your name?" Tré asked the doctor.

"Dr. Peterson, Mr. Cool," the doctor answered.

Tré nodded his head and noticed the way the doctor was looking at him. "Do you know who I am?" Tré asked.

"I do sir... I'm a really big fan," Dr. Peterson smiled.

"Oh well thanks... " Tré said as he tried to feel some happiness out of the moment. At least he hadn't lost Rose.

"Mr. Cool I know you're probably very upset right now and I hate to do this to you. But could I ask you for an autograph?" the doctor asked.

Tré nodded slowly, 'Yeah... ah do you have a pen?" Tré tried to wipe his tears on the sleeve of his shirt.

"Yes... " the doctor said and he pulled a pen out of his white coat.

Tré took the pen, "Where do you want me to sign?"

"If you could sign my coat that'd be awesome," the doctor said.

Tré quickly signed it and handed back the pen, "Thanks doctor... "

"Thank you... " the doctor said back. He then turned to Billie Joe and Mike. They too were both upset but felt the doctor deserved an autograph for his efforts.

"When can I see Rose?" Tré asked.

"You can go see her now. She's been wheeled into recovery," doctor Peterson said and gestured in the direction for them to go see her. "She's in room 551."

"Thank you," Tré said and he took off before Billie Joe, Mike and Adi had a chance to react to the directions. As Tré was walking the hall he looked at the door numbers and suddenly he recalled a day in the hospital eight months ago. "There it is!" Tré shouted as he found the room. He noticed that the room number was exactly the same as the room she had been in after the car accident.

"Tré wait up man!" Mike yelled.

Tré slowed down as he walked into the room. There Rose lay unconscious and pale. The only good thing was this time she would certainly wake up in the morning. Tré walked over to her bedside and looked at her. He lightly brushed his hand over her cheek.

Billie, Adi and Mike came in the room after Tré and saw him standing beside his fiancé who in his eyes was already his wife. Adrienne had to wipe another tear from her eyes at the sight of the young woman. She could only just imagine how upset she had been if she had lost Joey or Jakob.

"I love you... " Tré said and he leant over the bed and kissed her on the lips. Her lips trembled slightly like she knew he was there but couldn't open her heavy eyes.

Billie and Adrienne stayed in the room with Tré for over an hour before announcing they were going home for the night and would return in the morning. Mike agreed to stay with Tré for a few more hours and the two said good-bye to their friends.

Mike and Tré had only each other to speak to and their conversations became very deep and in depth. "Tré?" Mike said.

"Yeah?" Tré answered slowly.

"You called Rose your wife out in the hall earlier..." Mike said.

"Did I?" Tré asked, raising his eyebrows but barely giving it a second thought.

"Yeah... "

"Oh yeah, I guess I did," Tré said, he hadn't even realized he'd done it.

"You guys are going to be very happy together," Mike smiled.

Tré nodded his head but still felt very sad. "Mike?"

"Yeah man?" Mike answered.

"Will you be my Best Man at our wedding?" Tré asked as he looked away from Rose for a minute to look at his bassist friend.

"Wow...me?" Mike smiled.

"Yeah..." Tré grinned.

"Fuck...totally," Mike said.

"Good..." Tré said and he looked back at Rose and smiled.

"Thanks man..." Mike beamed, happy to be the backing man for such a celebration as the wedding that would take place between Rose and Tre.

Tré just nodded his head and Mike patted Tré on the back. "We'll get through this. She can't stay mad at me forever," Tré said.