You Stupid Girl

Apologies

I stood off to the side drinking soda from the neon colored plastic cups. Slow songs were playing so it was mostly couples that were now dancing. I smiled as I spotted Stefan and Elena, Bonnie and Jeremy, and Caroline with Tyler.

"We can go dance if you'd like?" Matt offered as he joined me.

I shook my head no. "Not really into slow dancing." He chuckled.

"You look beautiful tonight," Matt complimented me and I smiled. All night I had received compliments from many of the guys here, so I had gotten used to it.

"Stunning," Damon said just as I was about to compliment Matt and thank him. I hadn't seen Damon since Caroline pulled him away from me earlier. He was still wearing the same clothes from earlier which meant Caroline didn't succeed in her task, even though she did tell me that earlier herself.

"Thank you, Matt. You look amazing yourself," I managed to say just before he excused himself.

"No 'thank you, Damon'? Ouch," Damon said as he came by my side. I rolled my eyes at him. "I need to talk to you. Come with me." I gave him a suspicious look. "I promise you will be back in five minutes." I let out a sigh before taking his hand and letting him lead me out into a hallway.

"What's so important that you dragged me away from a dance that I was enjoying? Couldn't it have waited until later?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You were standing on the sideline watching couples dance. It didn't seem like you were enjoying it too much at the moment," Damon said sarcastically as he pulled a small box out of the pocket of his jacket and handing it to me.

"What is it?" I asked, becoming more suspicious of him.

"Open it and you'll see!" He rolled his eyes and I opened it to reveal a small envelope and a bracelet with many charms. I glanced up at him curiously before taking the envelope out first. I opened the envelope and took out the folded piece of paper that said 'I'm sorry for last night'. I raised a brow at Damon even though I knew exactly what the note was about. "I know why you were..." He gave me a look I couldn't read. "Maybe still are mad at me. It was a stupid thing to do, and I'm sorry." I ignored what he said and took out the bracelet that had a Gothic vibe to it. I took a look at each charm carefully to see it had a skull, red rose, cross, black heart, guitar, angel wing, bat, and a key.

"Thank you. I like it," I smiled as I undid the clasp so I could put it on. This earned him a smile as well as he helped me put the bracelet on.

"Thought you would like it. Let's get back to the dance, I wouldn't want you to miss too much." I rolled my eyes at him again as he lead me back inside the gymnasium.

Damon took the box and envelope out of my hand before placing it back in his jacket pocket and grabbing my hand. Instead of leaving me on the sidelines to watch, he took me out onto the dance floor. I gave him a frown as he pulled me to him and wrapped his arm around my waist.

"I don't want to dance," I mumbled as I awkwardly began swaying with him. I was nervous because I had never slow danced with anyone before and felt like everyone was now watching us. What if I messed up? What if I made a fool of myself?

"You are my date. You owe me at least one dance," he smiled. I didn't know if he could sense my uneasiness or not.

"Damon, please," I whined. I caught Stefan watching us a few couples away and I gave him a pleading look to help me.

I nearly died with relief when the song ended and the upbeat music began playing again. Stefan and Elena were making their way to us as more people got back out on the dance floor.

"I still get one dance before the end of the night," he whispered into my ear after letting me go. "Stefan, Elena," he greeted casually as they joined us.

"Damon, are making the poor girl dance against her will?" Stefan asked as the four of us got off the dance floor so others could dance.

"You tell me, little brother," Damon smiled innocently before leaving us so he could 'chaperon' the dance.

"I'm going to go find Caroline and Bonnie. Do you wanna come?" Elena asked me and I politely declined her offer.

"If you don't want to dance, you don't have to," Stefan told me as he grabbed a drink for me. "Damon won't do anything to cause a scene here." I wasn't really sure to believe that or not.

"That's not exactly the problem. I just don't know how to. I never went to dances at my old school. It was never really my thing, but then again I was a loner," I explained before downing the cup of soda. "I feel like everyone is watching me and I will make a fool of myself even though I don't know any of these people."

"Ah, I see. Is that why you've been turning down guys all night?" I shook my head yes. "I promise you that nobody is watching you and you won't make a fool out of yourself. I'm sure Elena will let you dance with me when the slow music starts again, that is if you want to of course." I bit my lip before nodding my head yes.

I was soon joining Elena, Bonnie, Caroline, and Jeremy on the dance floor. It was sort of funny that Jeremy was the only guy out of our circle of friends that was out here with us. We began hitting around an orange balloon that came over to us before Jeremy hit it to the next group of friends. We were all laughing and enjoying ourselves as the dance got closer to a close.

The DJ soon announced that there were a few more slow songs to dance to before the night was over. Stefan kept his word and danced with me for the first song while Elena danced with Matt. Stefan kept reassuring me the whole time that nobody was watching me and that I was doing great. I finally got comfortable enough and danced with him without even being nervous.

"I believe you have my date," Damon said as he came over to us after that song ended and the next was playing. I gave Stefan a pleading look to not leave me with Damon.

"You'll be fine," Stefan whispered as he pulled me into a hug before handing me over to Damon.

"You're not trying to get out of dancing again, are you?" Damon asked as he pulled me away from our group of friends... or maybe it was more like my group of friends and his brother.

"No," I sighed as I gave in. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his hands went to my hips.

"Good, because I've been waiting all night to dance with you," he mumbled before kissing the top of my head.

Slowly each song passed and I got more comfortable dancing with Damon. When it was the last song, I felt like it was only Damon and I now dancing. Everyone else had faded in the background even though I knew almost everyone now had someone to dance with and was on the dance floor. The song ended and it was announced that the dance was now over. I was quite disappointed since tonight had been the best night of my life. I also wanted to keep dancing with Damon.

I stayed by Damon's side as everyone began filing out of the building. We soon joined with Tyler, Matt, Jeremy, Caroline, Bonnie, Elena, and Stefan as we waited for the crowd of people thin out so we could leave. Damon and Caroline went off to do something since Caroline was part of the party community and Damon was the chaperon. Elena and Bonnie were talking about tonight while Tyler, Matt, and Jeremy were having their own conversation. Stefan nodded for me to follow and I did.

"See, you can dance," he smiled as he playfully nudged me with his shoulder.

"Because of you," I smiled as we made it outside. We began walking towards his car so I could retrieve the bag of clothes that were mine.

"I had nothing to do with it," he smiled and I rolled my eyes at his denial. "You know Damon likes you right?" he asked, changing the subject and catching me off guard.

"I know," I mumbled.

"He'd do anything to keep you safe, Kaitlyn." Stefan was telling me this as if I didn't already know. "He makes mistakes and regrets every time he's hurt you in some way." This time I gave Stefan a curious look.

"Why are you even telling me this?" I questioned as he handed me the bag.

"Because I know you like him too." Stefan gave me a knowing smile. "Just give him a chance and be careful." I was going to ask him why he even cared or should even give Damon a chance, but the others were coming to join us now.

I took off the jacket before handing it to a very happy Caroline. "You can keep it," she grinned even wider and her eyes lit up with joy. I didn't even question her happiness. She was the only one out of the group who didn't seem even a bit tired.

"It's fine. Pink's not really my color." I watched as they all pretty much gave me an 'are you kidding' look. Probably because I was wearing a lot of pink, but it wasn't like it was my choice. She took back her jacket that Elena had taken earlier.

We all said our goodnight's to each other as went our separate ways. I tiredly walked to Damon's car with him walking behind me. I got in and placed the bag at my feet before I rested my head on the window. It was a quiet ride all the way back home. It wasn't until I was getting ready to go to my room to sleep when Damon spoke.

"I'm truly sorry about last night, Kaitlyn," Damon apologized again.

"I know," I replied as I tiredly tossed the bag into the room before facing Damon.

"You looked amazing tonight," he smiled as he stood before me.

"Thank you."

Damon put his hand on my cheek before slowly leaning down and kissing my lips. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I pulled him closer to me. We didn't break away from each other until Stefan cleared his throat.

"Way to ruin the mood, Stefan," Damon groaned as he turned to face his brother.

"I'm sorry, did I interrupt something?" he smiled playfully at us.

"No, not at all," Damon replied sarcastically before taking my hand and leading me to his room.

"Didn't think so!" Stefan called out after Damon slammed the door.

"You can sleep in here," Damon said as he kissed my forehead before kissing my lips again. "Of course, you don't have to," he said sensing my discomfort.

"I'll stay." He smiled before pulling me down on the bed with him. We began kissing again until he pulled away.

"Go to sleep, Kaitlyn," he mumbled before kissing my forehead. He sat up to take his shirt off before laying back down and pulling the blankets over us. He pulled me next to him and I laid my head on his chest with my arm draped over his stomach. "Goodnight, Kaitlyn," He gave me one last kiss on the top of my head.