Lonely No More

before it starts

Josie woke up warm, exhausted and with a dry mouth. She found herself once again, pinned to the mattress beneath her by the heavy body of Beau Bennett. Nearly facedown in her pillow, Beau was slicked up against her backside, nose pressed firmly into the little space behind her ear. His puffs of breath traveled along the underside of her jaw. The first sign of him being awake was the flutter of his eyelashes moving her hair gently.

“Mm. it’s early.” He moaned.

“You haven’t opened your eyes, how do you know how early it is?” She asked, content to lie in his arms for a little bit longer.

“I can feel it. It’s definitely before eight.” He mumbled, lips against the skin of her neck before he burrowed against her.

Jocelyn peeked her eyes open, just able to focus to see the alarm clock on the far side of the bed, flashing 7:45 AM.

“You’re right.” She mumbled. “I’m so hungry, though.” She whispered. “And I need coffee and Advil.” She added.

“Shh.” He kissed her neck, unintentionally pushing his hips into her ass. “Go back to sleep, Josie.” He mumbled into her skin, grinning as goosebumps broke across her skin. “Let’s sleep a little more, then I’ll take you anywhere you want for breakfast.” He added.

Jocelyn turned in his grasp, coming to face his warm, bronzed chest with just the faintest hint at a few blonde chest hairs.

Beau was worried she was going to say she had to leave, that what they were doing wasn’t okay and that it couldn’t continue anymore.

But instead, she tucked her head under his chin, let a puff of breath roll over his skin, and snuggled in even closer. Beau smiled to himself, letting his eyes close shut again as he wound his arms tightly around her. She wasn’t going to get away on his watch.

Nearly three hours later, Jocelyn peeped her eyes open once more, feeling infinitely less groggy than the first time she woke up that morning. With Beau snoring loudly in her ear, she slunk out of his arms and from the giant bed, padding quietly across the room to the bathroom.

Her eyes doubled as she took in her appearance. Eyeliner smudged all around her face, faint smudges of lipstick around her mouth and an actual rat’s nest forming on the back of her head. She looked like she had a serious case of sex hair.

As quickly and as quietly as she could, she dampened her fingers with faucet water and removed the stray makeup on her face. Trying as hard as she could to keep from snooping, she opened a few drawers until she found a comb, sorting out her hair and wrapping it in a tight topknot on top of her head. Running a dot of toothpaste throughout her mouth on her finger, she was finally somewhat pleased with her appearance.

Opening the door to the bathroom, she blushed when she saw Beau watching her from his bed. His hands were cradling the back of his head and his torso was naked until it disappeared under his sheets.

“Morning.” He smiled, taking in the sight of her leaning against the doorway of his bathroom, standing in her panties, knee-high socks and his shirt.

“Morning.” She smiled. “Advil?” She asked.

“Medicine chest, top shelf.” He nodded back to the bathroom.

“I believe I was promised breakfast.” She reminded with a smile before turning her back to him.

Beau rolled out of bed, fixing the black boxers on his hips before making his way to the bathroom as well. Standing beside her at the counter, he bumped her with his hip to the right to scoot her over. He reached down into the drawer, grabbing two toothbrushes before handing one to her.

She smiled shyly as they brushed their teeth beside one another, trying to focus on anything other than her hard nipples that were apparent in the reflection of the mirror.

“Breakfast?” He asked after rinsing his mouth out.

“Yes.” She nodded, dropping her toothbrush into the holder before turning on her heel and heading back into the bedroom. She spotted her skirt and polo tossed over the footboard of the bed with her bra on the floor beside it. When Beau stepped into his closet, likely to give her some privacy, she quickly changed back into her outfit from the night before – this time, leaving the skirt at an acceptable length and leaving her polo un-tucked. It was amazing how much less wanton she looked with the uniform worn properly.

On the other hand, it certainly didn’t change how much Beau wanted her. When he appeared again from the closet, he was dressed in jeans and a gret sweater, holding a black zip up in his hands.

“This might help.” He offered. She crossed the room, looping her arms through the sweatshirt and zipping it up before he could wrap his arms around her again.

“You’re warm.” She commented, reveling in the heat from Beau’s body.

“And you are underdressed.” He pointed out.

“I’m fine.” She insisted.

“Are you going to be warm enough?” He asked. “We’ll stop at your place, first, so you can get some real clothes on.” He countered.

“Beau, I’m fine.” She replied.

“I’m sure you are, but letting other people seeing you in this - is not my idea of fun.” He traced his finger along her thigh just at the end of the hem of her skirt. “Come on, it’ll be quick, then we can get food.” He leaned down, kissing her neck.

“Fine.” She blushed, dropping her cell phone into the pocket of the zip up.

The fifteen minutes from Beau’s apartment to Jocelyn’s went by quickly and he opted to wait in the car as she ran up to the apartment, sprinkled some food for Geno and changed into a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve white tee under the same black zip up.

“Ready?” He asked as she dropped down into the seat next to him. He immediately laced his fingers with hers between them.

“Ready.” She smiled.

Forty minutes later, Jocelyn’s eyes were wide with excitement as their server placed their brunches in front of them at one of the team’s favorite restaurants. Blueberry pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and a hot chocolate for Joss while Beau ate an egg white omelet loaded with veggies, a side of home fries and wheat toast.

“Mmm.” She groaned after taking a bite of her bacon. “Amazing.”

Beau grinned, glad he had opted to sit on the same side of the booth as Jocelyn. He’d be happy to eat his breakfast with one hand as the other arm draped loosely across the top of her shoulders. He liked the way she would casually bump into his side and offer him a bite of her pancakes.

“Bite.” She held up what she considered to be the perfect bite including blueberry, a swipe of butter and a drop of syrup. Beau agreed. His eyes trained in on a little brown smudge on her lip, giving her half a second to realize what he was doing before he pressed his lips to hers, savoring the taste of the maple syrup.

“Delicious.” He smirked, “I want to finish this, then go back to my place.” He added quietly, the gaze of his crystalline eyes almost too much to bear. God, he was pretty.

“Well then you should be glad I already fed Geno.” She smiled shyly. “And that I grabbed my phone charger.” She elaborated. She had grabbed her phone charger amongst a few other things that she figured she would need just in case – including a change of underwear, a pair of sleep shorts, her toothbrush and an extra v-neck.

She heard the door open with the help of the old fashioned bell placed just so that it would ring as the door hit it. Automatically turning at the noise of the bell, she gasped quietly, seeing Sutter, Downie, Maatta and Bortz walk in – all looking quite disheveled. She quickly turned her head and slunked down, not wanting to be spotted.

“What?” He asked, turning.

“No!” She squeaked, grabbing his shoulder to keep his big frame from being noticed. A little grin spread across Beau’s mouth as he realized she didn’t want his teammates crashing their party – and maybe finding out that they had spent the night together, though he was sure they already knew that after watching the two of them at James’ apartment.

“What?” He wiggled his eyebrows, “don’t want the boys to join us?” He asked. He held her gaze as he took in a deep breath as to shout out to them but before getting that far, she grabbed his face in her hands before placing a hot kiss on his lips.

Beau’s childish plan was instantly forgotten and he really wished they hadn’t even left his apartment that day. When she pulled away, he couldn’t control the smile that spread across his face.

“You’re hot when you’re aggressive.” He commented, making her flame bright red and turn her attention back to her breakfast.

“Eat your food, Bennett.” She insisted.

Unbeknownst to the couple in the booth, they weren’t as blissfully unrecognized as they thought they were. When the time came for Beau to pull out his wallet, the server simply smiled.

“Your bill has been taken care of. Your friends.” She insisted. Beau’s head popped over the back of their booth to see a smiling Downie, who lifted his OJ at his teammate.

“Oh my God, get me out of here.” Jocelyn’s face was a fire engine red. Beau laughed, waving to Downie before grabbing Jocelyn’s hand and pulling her up from her seat.

“Come on, let’s leave.” She made only momentary eye contact with his teammates, but quickly put her head down and scurried from the restaurant.

“Jeez, Joss, If I knew you were so embarrassed to be seen with me, I would have made breakfast at home.” He insisted, making her feel instantly guilty as she dropped down into the seat of his car.

“I’m not embarrassed.” She replied, “but Beau, I don’t think we are technically allowed to do this. I could get in really big trouble.” She finished.

“Big trouble? From who?” He asked, looking rather doubtful after he closed his driver’s side door behind him, starting the car.

“Generally, inter-office relationships are frowned upon Beau-tie,” she began, instantly feeling silly for suggesting that they had a real relationship between the two of them. For all she knew, this was just fun for him. “I can’t imagine the rules are any more ‘lax for a professional sports team.” She finished.

Beau was silent for a moment as he mulled things over.

“I’m not worried about it. The boys aren’t going to say anything.” He countered, pulling out of the parking lot. He was quiet for another moment. “…So this is a relationship, is it?” He asked, a little shit-eating grin on his face.

“Beau!” She sighed, “take me home.” She feigned pleading.

“No way.” He laughed, revving the engine for effect as he made his way back to his apartment. “It’s fricken cold out.” He turned on the defroster. There was a light film of frost on the grass and blacktop that morning and he could go for a nap now that he was full of food.

Jocelyn was relatively quiet as she contemplated her situation. If Beau’s teammates did mention sometime to either Penguins staff or even other members of the team, she could be out of a job by Monday – and she needed the job more than she needed a boyfriend.

“Hey.” He gave her a little shake on the leg with his hand. “What are you thinking about?” He asked. She looked over at him with a small smile and a little shake of her head.

Beau fished her hand out of her lap, lacing her fingers with his as they finished the short drive back to his apartment. They made their way up the elevator and into his front door and he stopped her before she could walk back through the doorway to his bedroom, his bed looking extremely warm and tempting.

“Hey.” He held her carefully by her shoulders. “Nothing is going to happen, okay?” He brushed a rogue hair away from her forehead. “I’m going to text Downie and tell him to keep his big mouth shut, we’re going to watch a movie and everything is going to be great.” He said, and though she was still nervous, she smiled before he could dip his head down and slant his mouth over hers. He was a great kisser, she’d give him that, and she loved the way one his hands slid down her back and held her close to him. “I really like you, Joss.” He said quietly, still holding her body to his.

“I like you, too, Beau.” She replied, though she felt like she shouldn’t.

“Really?” He asked, eyebrows up in surprise.

“Of course I do, Beau.” She blushed. “I wouldn’t be here otherwise.” She added, feeling even more embarrassed. Beau smiled, able to sense that she was a little uncomfortable.

“You know, I rented that movie you told me was good.” He changed the subject, giving her a pointed look. “And it was not sad at all, it was awesome.” He added.

Up? You thought Up wasn’t sad at all?” He liked the way her eyes grew in size. “That movie is devastating.” She insisted, “I cried like three times.” She added. “Do you not have a soul?” She asked. The next moment, Jocelyn was airborne as Beau heaved her onto the bed. She rolled her eyes as he hopped onto the bed next to her.

They both kicked off their shoes and he pulled her up against his chest as she grabbed his TV remote and queued Up on Netflix.

“Can’t believe you don’t think this is sad.” She mumbled, making him smile. As long as she stayed snuggled into his side, he didn’t care what they watched – as long as she was there with him, he’d be happy.

- - -

At work Monday morning, Jocelyn fidgeted in her seat as she mussed with the baby blue scarf around her neck – both being fashionable and disguising a rather embarrassing hickey on her neck. Beau could be an absolute leech.

It was eight-twenty and there wasn’t a practice that day until ten, so she had some time to get herself together and get her immediate morning duties finished before they would be strolling in and trying to distract her.

Finishing up the last of her weekend emails, she grabbed her water tumbler, making her way to the elevator and taking it up to the administrative offices. Though there was a water cooler only steps from her desk, she had another task in mind that morning and felt like she needed something to do with her hands in the mean time. Rounding the corner, she spotted just the person she wanted to talk to.

“Morning Alice.” She smile cheerily.

“Hey, good morning, Jocelyn!” Alice Turner smiled upon seeing Jim’s assistant and the downstairs receptionist. Alice was only taking off her coat as Jocelyn approached her.

“You know, I just had a quick question that I thought HR could answer for me.” She smiled, heart beating a hundred miles an hour.

“Sure, what’s up?” Alice asked.

“What’s the policy for inter-office dating?” She asked, crossing her legs anxiously as she rest her arms on top of Alice’s cube.

“Oh, we have no problem with that!” Alice replied, “we’ve had people meet and get married here.” She smiled happily, relief flooding through Jocelyn like warm water.

“Really? That’s great.” She smiled, cheeks rosy.

“For sure – as long as it’s not a player, we have nothing against office relationships.” She insisted. Cold water.

“Oh, has that been a problem in the past?” Jocelyn feigned surprise to cover her disappointment and morbid curiosity.

“We’ve definitely had incidents in the past that caused that rule.” Alice nodded. “She was… asked to leave shortly thereafter.” She explained.

“Well thanks so much, just wanted to make sure it was okay.” Jocelyn smiled, “have a good morning!” She practically yelled at the blonde from HR before returning and making her way back to the elevator. Jocelyn’s skin felt warm from her chest to her cheeks as she stood in the elevator back to her little desk. After sitting in her seat, she instantly felt worse, a cold stone settling at the pit of her stomach.

She hated the scarf she was wearing, her shoes pinched and she was freezing. What she wouldn’t give to be back at home with Geno – or anywhere but the Consol.

Twenty minutes later, Jocelyn was still trying to trick herself into comfort by working on an ongoing project when Sidney Crosby rolled through the door.

“Good morning, Joss!” He smiled, making her feel instantly better. “How was your weekend?” He asked, coming to a full stop by her desk.

“It was good, short.” She replied, giving her standard response.

“Have fun at the party?” He asked. She tried to mask her discomfort with a little smile.

“Yes, it was fun.” She nodded once.

“You and Beau had great costumes.” He added, making the stone in her stomach grow by five pounds.

“Um yeah,” she nodded, “we didn’t like plan them together or – I mean, we didn’t, um, what I mean to say is that Beau and I are just friends.” She didn’t think she could sound more awkward if she tried.

Sidney’s brows furrowed in the least as he looked over at the little brunette. What had happened between James’ party and now? Jocelyn and Beau obviously had something going on and now she was telling him they were just friends? Had Beau failed with her again?

“Yeah, of course.” Sidney said, eyeing her cautiously. “Anyway, uh, you sould text Bailey, she’s been talking about having you over for dinner.” He tried to save the conversation.

“Sure.” She nodded with a polite smile. “I’ll do that.” Sidney gave her a nod as he made hi way past the reception area to the locker room.

Jocelyn’s lungs filled with air once again and she pinched her cheeks, hoping to flood a little more color onto her skin. Seeing the same black Mercedes she had been chauffeured in all weekend pass into the player’s lot, she instantly jumped to her feet in a knee-jerk response.

Hurrying into the back hallway, she saw a glint of sun reflect on the opening door just before she could duck into the ladies’ restroom. She knew she was being an absolute child by avoiding Beau, but at the moment, she didn’t think she could survive seeing his handsome face so soon after speaking with Alice.

Using the restroom, washing her hands, fixing her hair in the slightest and reapplying her lipstick, she took her time getting back to her desk. When she finally sat down in her chair, she felt horrible upon seeing the white Starbucks cup by her keyboard with a napkin under it – Dinner? scrawled in Beau’s awful handwriting on the same white napkin.

She turned the napkin over, taking a sip of the hot drink to realize he had remembered her beverage of choice – a soy white mocha with mint. Before she could settle into a sick feeling of guilt, the door opened again.

“Joss-baby, how are you?” Steve Downie asked, running a hand through his hair and looking especially dapper in his black pea coat.

“Hi Steve.” She smiled, pushing her Starbucks under the lip of the desk and out of view from visitors.

“How was your weekend?” He asked, wiggling his eyebrows, liking the way her face turned red.

“It was fine, how was yours?” She asked.

“Fine? Just fine? If your weekend was just fine, Beau is doing something wrong.” He laughed loudly. Jocelyn wanted to dissolve into thin air and completely disappear. She needed to put her foot down.

“Downie, Beau and I are friends – just friends.” She said with finality. “That’s all we’re ever going to be.” Downie was surprised to see how serious and almost frustrated Jocelyn looked.

“Alright, sorry, my bad.” He put his hands up in his own defense. “Have a good morning, Joss.” He said before making his way past her.

“Downie!” She felt awful for being so curt with him. “I’m sorry for being so – short with you.” She blushed, feeling like a scolded toddler.

“It’s okay, Joss, I’ve heard worse.” He winked, instantly making her feel better before he, too, disappeared into the locker room.

Another twenty minutes had passed and no one else had yet to roll in for practice that morning. Jocelyn jumped when a pair of hands covered her eyes from behind.

“Morning.” She fought the warm shiver crawling up her spine at Beau’s voice.

“Beau, hi.” She smiled politely. To say he was a little surprised by her formal greeting was an understatement. “Thank you for the drink, you didn’t need to do that.” She added.

“I like doing nice things for you, Josie.” He grinned, making her heart skip a beat. “Did you see my note?” he asked.

“Yes, um, I actually can’t meet tonight for dinner, I’m going to go out to Amanda’s and see Mikey.” She replied. It was true, those had been her plans for the evening, but she left out the part where Amanda actively encouraged her to bring Beau along again.

“Okay, that’s cool.” Beau nodded, “how about tomorrow?” He asked. I can attempt to make you a chicken parmesan.” He grinned.

“How about lunch?” She countered, feeling like that would be much more friendly than intimate and the chance of it being at one of their apartments would be slim to none.

“Uh yeah, sure, lunch sounds good.” He nodded. Jocelyn froze as he leaned in and kissed her cheek.

“Have a good practice.” She practically melted, reminding herself of just how much she loved being in his presence.

“Later, Josie.” He grinned. It hurt Jocelyn’s heart to know the familiarity of Beau’s smile, kiss, touch. She was going to miss it. As much as she loved spending time with him and how happy he made her, she needed the job and she needed to pay rent. Not only that, but she loved her job, she liked her boss and the little feeling of pride she had when she told she worked for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

If she wanted to keep her job, she needed to start pulling away from Beau. Stopping anything before it started.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi everyone!
the chapter is almost double my usual length, so please, if you enjoyed it, i'd love to hear your feedback!
so, the cat's out of the bag. jocelyn can keep beau or keep her job - what would you do?
i'd seriously love to hear your opinions and predictions!
it's almost the weekend! have a great day!
xo