‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

29 - Boss Fight

“I see you no longer carry Manigault’s influence. It has returned to me.” The only piece of Cain visible in the veil of darkness was his red eyes. She couldn’t see anything else, not her brother, or Azri, or Gabriel who was right next to her. “And you expect to win?”

“Well, yeah,” Angie replied coolly. “The only thing you’re doing is yapping like a big shot. What’s your plan, demoralizing me to death?”

“Good luck with that.” Azri’s voice floated weakly in the dark. “She’s far too stubborn for that.”

“When they cart her casket off to her grave, she’ll probably kick her way out of it just to spite everyone at the funeral,” Chris added.

“You have no idea who you’re dealing with Cain,” Gabriel stepped in finally. “You’re going to wish you’d never kidnapped her mother.”

Cain’s fanged mouth glowed eerily in the blackness. “Maybe I won’t be bored this time, then.” His jaws stretched wide, wider than any mouth should be. His teeth spit open, enough to swallow her whole.

Angie shut her eyes against the illusion. There was no way she could hear Cain, but she couldn’t let that madness infect her. She had no choice but to wait for his attack.

It was quick when it came. Latching onto her good ankle and lifting her into the air. She hung upside down for a few seconds, while she aimed. She opened her eyes as she fired her gun where she approximated Cain’s face to be.

“Oh, dear. So close…” His voice was close, an intimate whisper.

She swung her other leg as hard as she could, and made contact with her metal shinbone. She was immediately released.

She couldn’t see the floor, so she protected her head and rolled as best she could. Right next to her she could hear Azri giggle. “She got you with the fake leg too, didn’t she?” His giggling died down. “Ah, good times…”

She reached out and found his shoulder. “Get up, you lump.”

“No, I’m too tired to fight anymore. My ribs still haven’t healed…”

“Then get out of here, stupid. I’m saving you.”

“Na uh, he can’t leave without helping,” Chris said from another direction. “He can see through this mess.”

“Uhm, no. I can’t. I’m just as useless as you.” His shoulder jerked suddenly. “Shit! Desk!”

Something knocked Angie to the floor, but thankfully it wasn’t the large black marble desk Cain sat behind. There was a thunderous shattering of glass and pale moonlight cut through some of the darkness. Azri was on top of her, gaping at the large hole in the glass wall, lighting up the empty area that once held Cain’s desk.

Angie shoved Azri off of her. She rolled to one foot and one knee, straining her senses for something, any sound or movement.

Something grabbed her by the leg again, this time the metal one. He gun fell from her hands and onto the carpet. “Interesting,” Cain mused. His silhouette could just be made out in the weak light of the moon. “I didn’t notice this at all.”

“Yeah, it has some good features,” Angie grunted. She was starting to hate hanging upside down.

She pulled out her knife from her leg holster and slashed at Cain. The arc of the silver blade glowed, but she didn’t connect. She swore and dropped her blade.

Blood was rushing to her head uncomfortably. She undid her belt and the button of her jeans. She then grasped onto her knee, at just the point where it connected to the carbon steel. She gave it a hard twist and the joint came loose. She fell out of her jeans and onto the floor.

She retrieved her gun and fired twice at Cain. The first shot missed, but the second rewarded her with a satisfying spurt of blood. Cain vanished back into the shadows.

Angie got to one foot and balanced uncomfortably. “Give me back my leg, Cain! So I can beat you with it!”

On the floor next to her was Azri, who was covering his eyes with one hand. Angie turned on him. “What the heck are you doing just sitting there? Give me a hand.”

“You’re not wearing pants and that makes me uncomfortable,” he told her honestly.

“Oh grow up!” she admonished him. “I’m wearing shorts.”

He peered at her cautiously and saw that she was right. She wore a pair of black yoga shorts that went almost to her knee. “Jesus, were you planning on doing something like that?” He stood up and she grabbed onto him for support.

“Not that exactly. Sometimes pants get caught on things.” She looked around in the near darkness. “Gabriel, I haven’t heard from you in a while.”

“One moment, dear.” She heard him grunt, then there was another terrific crash into the window. She caught a glimpse of a large oak bookshelf before it plummeted down, spilling its books and knick knacks along the way. “That might help a bit.”

With more moonlight spilling in, the outlines in the office became clearer. “What about the first hole we made?” Angie asked.

“He covered it with a curtain,” Chris explained as he moved into view.

“On it.” Gabriel jumped across the room and tore at the heavy curtain. He ripped it off its rings and tossed it out the window as well. “Just making things a bit more ‘fair’, right?”

“Is he still here?” Azri asked nervously, eyes darting.

“Of course he is,” Angie answered. “He’s just playing around with me so far. This fight has barely started.”

Chris limped out of the moonlight and over to her. “Let’s just go, Angie. I’m sick of his games.”
Angie turned on him, raising her gun. Chris lifted up both hands. “Calm down, Angie!” Azri grabbed for her gun.

She fired one round, hitting Chris in the middle of his chest. Blood spattered his T-Shirt. “Holy Christ!” Azri shouted.

He looked down at the wound quizzically, then back at Angie. “What gave me away?”

“Everyone calls me Angie,” she said with narrowed eyes. “Except for Gabriel, who calls me by my full name. And Chris, who calls me Evie.”

‘Chris’ snapped his fingers. “Ah, well then.”

“Where’s my brother, Cain?” Angie asked loudly. “I won’t ask again!”

His face spit into a wide, fanged, grin. “What if I am playing with you more than you know? I can manipulate your brother like a puppet. What if you just shot him right now?”

Angie fired three more times, once in the chest and twice in the head. Cain’s illusion dropped and he took a half step back. Angie looked around the office. “Chris, where the hell are you?”

There was a moan by the still dark doorway. “I am totally conscious,” Chris’ voice wavered to her.

“Liar. Now get up before I tell Mom you let me fight an evil vampire overlord all by myself.”

“Okay, okay. I’m getting up.” He grumbled as he got to his feet. “Can’t even let a guy be unconscious for a minute…”

“Good. You and Azri get out of here. Gabriel and I will finish with Cain. Get in touch with Mom.” Here her voice went soft. “Ask her about Arthur.”

Azri looked at her incredulously. “You can’t even stand up and you want us to leave? Cain took your leg!”

“You let Cain take your leg?” Chris’ voice rose. “Evie, what the heck is wrong with you?”

“I plan on getting it back! Okay?!”

“I can’t even pass out for one minute without you getting into trouble, can I?”

“We’d find out if you would stop being up my ass for one minute, wouldn’t we? Now get out of here!”

Cain reared up tall behind Azri and Angie. Gabriel tackled him, but only caught shadow. More reared up and he attacked each one in turn, claws meeting empty air.

Azri gave her a concerned look. “Are you sure about this?” he asked more gently.

Angie lowered her voice. “Chris is hurt. He’s staying in the dark cause he doesn’t want me to see. I can’t do anything if I’m worrying about him.”

“We’ll be rooting for you. From downstairs.” Azri pulled away from her and went over to Chris. The human was on his feet, but wobbly. Azri reached up to his shoulder and found it wet with blood. Chris flinched away. “The elevator is this way,” Azri told him. “I think.”

They reached the aluminum doors and Azri felt around for the button panel. Before he could press anything the elevator chimed and the doors slid open.

Sensing immediate danger Azri pulled Chris to the side. Something shot out of the elevator at top speed, connecting with Cain with the sound of crunching bones.

Azri pulled Chris into the elevator and pressed the button for the lobby. “Who was that?” Chris asked woozily. Blood covered the side of his face and leaked down into his shirt.

“I have no idea,” Azri answered him. The doors slid closed. “I just hope they’re on our side.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The last chapter was much too short, but I had to split it up this way. Send me a review if you like where this is going and I'm gonna try to wrap this whole thing up as quick as I can.