Complex

five

It'd been a week. A week since the argument, the break-up, everything. He's tried to contact me several times, obviously not doing what I asked him to do. I'll get fifteen text messages a day, three missed calls and I swear I even saw his car when I was shopping with my sister. He's turning into a stalker. I just wanted to forget about it all. It was too much to take in. I'd never been brave enough to end the affair, but I had.

My phone rung, I let it. There was a knock at my door. I sat on my bed, some sitcom playing on the television in front of me, but the sound of my phone blocking that out. I told them to come in. My sister opened the door, stumbling inside. "Can you please turn that damn phone off, it is driving me insane," she complained, rubbing her temples. "Who is constantly setting your phone off anyway?"

I picked it up, declining the phone call. Keira sat on the end of my bed. A text appeared literally a minute after I hung up. She took the phone out of my hand, obviously reading the text. It's probably Isaac calling me any name he could think of, comparing me to a whore, and then asking me why I didn't answer, and why I never answer. Followed by saying that we needed to talk. but we did a ton of talking last week. Keira's face distorted into some sort of hurt, anger and shock. "It's nothing serious, Keira," I told her, turning my attention back to the sitcom.

I smiled unconsciously at a joke on the programme, shocking myself with the sudden upwards movement. "Well," my sister paused as I glanced at her through the corner of my eye, "I've told them to leave you alone. You should block the number," she told me, standing up and handing me my phone. I was left speechless. I didn't want to reply, I didn't want anyone to reply. If you reply, that means that you're not over them - and I felt like I would have the angry looking Isaac at my doorstep pretty soon, wanting to finish where we left off. I couldn't do it all over again.

She smiled before leaving, taking my shocked silence as a reply. I looked at the text, my eyes reading the reply that Isaac already sent. My phone let out its shrill tone as his name appeared on my screen, it was a phone call. Deciding to be brave, I answered the phone. Putting it to my ear, I could hear a sigh of relief on the other side. "Leave you alone?" His voice asked, it sounded hurt. I turned down the volume of the television not being able to hear him clearly. "Why didn't you answer me, Anastasia?"

I fumbled with my bed sheets, contemplating whether or not to hang up. It wasn't too late, was it? "You've called me some pretty damn hurtful things, Isaac, I don't like being called 'cheaper than a whore.'" I told him, my voice small in comparison to last week. "When I said we were over, I meant it. When I told you to delete my number, I meant it. Could you please do just that? I can't go through it all again."

I heard him laugh, it sent chills down my spine, goosebumps on my arms. His laugh stopped short, some sort of growl exiting his mouth, but was covered quickly by a cough. "Listen, Stasia, just meet with me tomorrow, please," his voice having an angry tone, he was trying his best to control it. "We need to talk, I need to see you; I... miss you, please." I closed my eyes, shaking my head. I didn't want to see him, talk to him, my feelings will rush back - I don't need this. I shouldn't see him, I shouldn't, I'll fall under his spell again. "Please," he whispered.

I bit on my lip, battling with myself. I could hear his breathing on the other end, waiting for an answer. I couldn't meet him, could I? It's possible that he did just want to talk but it could be a trick to continue what I wanted to finish. Opening my eyes, I let out an unstable sigh. "I'll meet you, Isaac, but somewhere public, not the usual place. We're just going to talk, okay?" I mumbled into the phone, hearing his breathing stop for a short moment. A light chuckle followed it.

"Okay, I'll text you what time and place," he sighed, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." I nodded and hung up, taking it as a goodbye. What was I doing? My plan was to ignore him, forget about him, I guess my inner feelings for him forced their way to the surface. I didn't want for this to happen. It did, I can't take it back now, can I?